Beginner with only $1500

Username: Crl21

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1
I'm brand new at this stereo thing. I want to start by putting together something nice for around $1500 ($2000 tops). I'm thinking of just starting out with two front speakers, a reciever and a CD player and then adding the rest in 12 -18 months when I have more money. I've looked a JM Labs and Paradigm. Do any of you have some good recommendations for me? I'm reading up on speaker systems, but I have no experience. Also, is it normal to bargain with these stereo shops? If so what percentage of retail should I be paying? Thanks for you help.

Bronze Member
Username: Bezel

Post Number: 11
"Also, is it normal to bargain with these stereo shops? If so what percentage of retail should I be paying?"

#1. You can get 10% off MSRP almost in any shop.
#2. You can try to get 15% or even 20% off MSRP by referencing to #1 (just say - "everybody sells it with 10% off - give me more and I'll buy it from you". It works for me.)
#3. If you are lucky, then you may get 30-40% off MSRP in a shop IF they try to sell off brand/model they do not want to have a deal with anymore. Of course it does not happen every day :-)

#4. Think about used equipment. You can get VERY good used system for $1.5-2k

Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 8
A musically satisfying starter system could include an NAD 521i CD player, an NAD c730, Staight Wire Encore cables and interconnects and some Bronze B4 speakers. This worked well for a friend, as I selected the components, and you'd be well within your preferred spending range. Don't overlook cables and interconnects in your equipment profile
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us