Diamond 8.1 upgrade to 8.3, 8.4...

Patrick1984
Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm new here. Seached the archives a bit and found some helpful info, but I have some questions.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's that Ive been really happy with in a (mostly)stereo/home theater setup, but I'd like to upgrade to something with more presence and power. The 8.1's just cant replicate the power of a drumset and bass violin, and sometimes struggle during loud action sequences. So for me, the next logical step would be to go to the 8.3's or 8.4's.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I'm worried that the 8.3's might not be that noticeable a difference, whereas I'm worried that the 8.4's might be too much for the room, also may lose some of the qualities I like about my 8.1's (namely soundstage) because of its different construction. Can anyone help me out?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 668
8.4's might be too much for the room

People will need to know how big the room is! :-)

Would you use the 8.1's as surround speakers?

Patrick1984
Unregistered guest
Sorry, the room is 14' X 15'. I would use the 8.1's as surrounds in place of the cheapo ones that I'm making do with.

Do you have experience with diamond 8 speakers? I would like to be able to do a side-by-side comparison, but wharfedales are hard to find in the US.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 670
Sorry, I don't. I was just asking pre-emptively to save time for others. But I'm sure someone will have experience with these. The brand was often recommended on this forum about a year ago. Perhaps the crowd is different now, but hopefully someone will know about 'em.

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 18
If you are using cheapo surrounds, that might be your problem there.

Also, do you have a good subwoofer and/or center channel?

If you upgrade the sub it might help with action sequences in movies, which tend to be bassy, and bettr surrounds, in particular wharfedale (which makes great speakers) so they are accoustically matched, might go a long way to improving the theater sound.

Of course, if you are partly trying to find and excuse to "upgrade" the fronts, go for it. I doubt the 8.4s would be too much for the room.

Patrick1984
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice.

I'm also hoping to get a diamond center channel at some point to match the mains and surrounds, but the one I have does the job, as does the sub. I'd just like to have more oomph without relying on the sub so much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us