Denon DVD 2200 "No Play"

Username: Mhc

Post Number: 1
My Denon 2200, which I loved until now, just started to have numerous problems. At first the tray, which is a bit flimsy, gets stuck closed on occassion. Very annoying. Now none of my SACD and DVD-A will play - just reads "No Play". This also occurs on most CDs. Has anyone had this problem before? I will try that firmware update. Help please.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1912
Sounds like something a firmware update won't fix since I imagine the 2200 worked okay to begin with. Seems a repair is in order - I hope it is still under warranty. The fact that the disc tray gets stuck occassionally indicates that area might be the source of your problems.

Post Number: 2
Not under warranty. Ooops. I liked the Denon and may upgrade to the 2900 (or the latest incarnation). May take the cover off and have a look.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1913
I've had the DVD-2900 for over a year now and use it every day either for movies, cd's, sacd's or dvd-a's. Only twice has it ever refused to play a disc. I can highly recommend it for picture and sound quality - but for future proofing (and the benefit of variable crossovers for lfe) the new 3910 is worth consideration.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your advice. It seems like the 2200 suffered from poor quality control since this problem has come up with others. Does not appear to be the case with the 2900. But when the 2200 works - its is a great budget instrument. Can't live without good sound. Maybe taking the hammer to the 2200 will fix it. Did Denon tweak bass management on the new models?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1916
Bass management is fine on the 2900 (it just takes a bit of trial and error with the level settings) - but the same deal with delay settings being ignored for sacd applies to the 2910 & 3910 unless you're happy to convert dsd to pcm - which I'm not. Having all speakers equidistant (or close as possible to equidistant) from your listening position makes that point moot and is really the ideal for all surround listening imho.

mark travers
Unregistered guest
I have a denon dvd 2900 and am very impressed with picture and sound quality, however sometimes the machine will freeze during playback of a dvd-r movie when it reaches 3 quaters of the way through the film. When the machine is cold, i can skip forward to the chapter where this happens and the machine will play through no problem, so it seems to happen only when the machine is warm.
The problem is not the disc as i have an old sony dvps 725 and a panasonic dmre 85, and both of these machines play the disc without problems. Has anyone else come accross this and is their a firmware upgrade available that might cure this problem ? the machine is still under warranty.

Tony Burgess
Unregistered guest
I have the exact same problem with a dvd 2200. The firmware did not fix it. Is there something else out there for this problem?

Tony Burgess
Unregistered guest
I have the exact same problem with a dvd 2200. The firmware did not fix it. Is there something else out there for this problem?

Tony Burgess
Unregistered guest
After looking thru these pages I got some info about other people with the same problem as stated. Though it seems memorex dvd-r's work ok. So I did a test with a particulary trouble some disc that played on my toshiba but not on the denon. I copied the exact same disc on a TDK -r print white type of disc. This now plays the whole way through without freezing and jumping. The disc's that are giving me trouble are cheep 200 for $50 type by the name of Comstar, although they play ok on my toshiba and my freinds Marantz.I hope this is the answer because I bought the 2200 at a good price and dont want to return it. By the way I use a 2900 for audio only on my reference audio system with tube amps and the like and am looking forward to getting it modded by Parts connection to improve the SACD playback further.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us