So who wants to help the new guy?

Username: Ancorp

Vaughan (Near Toronto), Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody, new guy here, first post!

Recently I picked up a Magnavox MFX 450 5.1 channel receiver (with some crappy sattelite speakers) for around $20 at an auction. Sold as it, the thing would go to standby right after it powered up.

Got past that - it turns out it needs speakers plugged in or else it shuts it self off.

Everything seems to work perfect, tunes into stations in stereo, I can adjust anything, display perfect, detects ammount of digital channels coming from the computer, etc, etc, etc... but - NO SOUND OUTPUT. Not on the headphones or all the channels... Usually these receivers "click" after a couple of seconds of powering up, turning on the speakers. This one doesnt. It clicks immediately (probably for something else).

On any volume, the amp itself, and its heatsink doesnt warm up at all, so Im guessing the amp is off while the rest of the unit is on...

The thing is - looks like Im not the only one with this problem

Ebay Item:5776901066

Same model, found it the same day, in my area, Same Problem!???

Emailed the seller - no idea why it doesnt work. Called Magnavox - No idea too... they suggested a repair center in my area ... Called em - $30 for an estimate... no way...

Hoping that someone here can shed some light on this...
Any comments/suggestions/tips/help/support appreciated greatly,

Thanks!
Cheers,
Alex

P.S. anyone got a manual for it that I can download?

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 99
20 bucks...you get what you pay for...

a 20 dollar paperweight.

Post Number: 2
Great you've been a big help...

Anyone?

Cheers,
Alex

Anonymous

There's a setup guide and troubleshooting FAQ on their website for your model.

http://www.magnavox.com/

Or try taking the top off and poke around for a fuse or obvious burned out component.

Post Number: 3
Thank You! Seems like the basic stuff, I already read it. Looked inside, didnt find any fuses, or anything obviously damaged...also did that straight away. Now Im looking for more specific help, hopefully someone that has experience with this or a similar model.

Cheers,
Alex

charl
Unregistered guest
Everythings fine but No Sound output!
Seems like your amplifier/preamp IC chip was dead. That's why you got it around $20. Try to test the IC chip inputs and outputs whether there are signals on the pins.
But you need the circuit diagram of that av receiver shown the output levels.
Good Luck!

Post Number: 4
Thank you Charl!
Unfourtinately this doesnt seem to be a very popular moder (or brand!), and the only info I found on it was on magnavox.com and from the ebay seller a scan of the spec sheet.

Seems my only hope is if someone else can chime in here with more help!

Thanks!
Cheers,
Alex
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us