Component Video Connection Q? NAD or General

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 35
I have a Denon DVD-2200, NAD T773, and Mitsubishi 65" widescreen.

I just finally purchased some component video cables to hook up my system. Without thinking much about it I bought 2 CV cables...ONE to run from the DVD to the Receiver and ONE from Receiver to the TV.

Then I was wondering what I am gaining or losing by flowing through the T773 (??). Wouldn't it be better to eliminate the CV cable to the Receiver and go directly from the DVD to the TV?? Save some cable $$ and maybe improve picture quality with one less connection interface involvced. I don't know if there is any signal loss through the 773 but the cable $$ would definitely be a plus if I have this right.

My VCR is an older stereo Mits. so uses S-Video/composite audio and I don't yet have HDTV Sattellite receiver. So I was thinking the main advantage to flowing through the receiver with component video would be minimizing the CV cables input to the TV with multiple video components in your system.

Am I missing any benefit to using the Receiver as a junction box per se' to the TV or do I have it right here? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 168
JDG,

You are getting no technical benefit from running the video through the receiver at all. I don't know exactly how your tv is set up, but the only benefit you could possibly get is like you said...not as many cables going into your tv. If you only have one component input in your tv...but have 2 or more devices that you would like to use component with...you can see the advantage. But, if number of inputs is not a problem for you, then you really gain nothing by going through the receiver.

Any time you run a video signal through another device (i.e. receiver of ANY brand), you will usually lose a little picture quality when compared to the picture without running through the receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Thanks Johnny. At least I know I wasn't all wet. Just wish I had thought of this before I bought the cables but they are returnable.

Username: Seamus

Post Number: 6
JDG,

While it's always advisable to connect the video feed directly from the source (DVD player) to the TV without passing it through the receiver, won't you need one video connection between the receiver and the TV for the receiver OSD ?

I'm not sure about the T773, but the T753 manual states that it doesn't carry the OSD on the component video outs. You must have either a composite or S-video connection between the receiver and TV for the OSD.

In case you make the component video connection from the DVD directly to the TV for the picture and a composite (cheap, save cable $$) connection from the receiver to the TV for the OSD, you will of course, access the two on different channels of the TV.

Confused ? will one of the experts here please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Seamus,
The T773 is the same in that the OSD will only transmit across S-Video NOT the component video. So I am upgrading from S-Video on my DVD (which passes through the 773) to component video.

My plan was therefore to keep the S-Video cable from the 773 to the TV in place to be used only for the OSD.

I thought I would only have to select a different input on the TV to use the S-Video.

Username: Vulture99

Post Number: 8
Just FYI, it's also possible to setup your 76x or 77x via the RS232 serial port, using a computer. More info in this thread: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/13591.html

Username: Seamus

Post Number: 8
JDG,
You are right. The component video from the DVD player directly to the TV will result in better picture while you can access the OSD through the S-video input.

bigfan
Unregistered guest
If connections are done per JDG's idea, then wouldn't you need an audio cable from TV out to receiver in, to use HT sound? Also if digital cable box is added to the mix, I assume you could connect it to TV, and use same audio cable as above?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
bigfan,
The Component Video cables are only for my DVD video signal. Right now I don't have other video components requiring CV cables. My audio for my DVD is coax which is solely DVD and T773.

I do use my Receiver for all of my TV sound so YES, I have audio cables OUT from my TV IN to my T773. This is only for TV broadcasts.

Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 7
Hi guys,

I just bought a T763, and I loved it. By the way, i need anopinion on what DVD players to use, I'm thinking of the T562, or the 572. You guys suggest using the same dvdplayer? or should I go with pioneer or denon, or is the bravo D1 a better buy? let me know , thanks for your inputs..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Alex,
I can't speak for NAD DVD since honestly I didn't test them. There is something to be said for matching your components visually too so at least aesthetically a NAD DVD player would look good with your T763.

I personally have a Denon DVD-2400 and it is excellent. It has SACD/DVD-A too though there are many other options out there too. This is just what I eneded up with and I'm very happy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us