Good speaker cable brand for Subwoofer ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 56
Helo guys,

I just bought the Subwoofer M&K V-76.
I want your opinion, is there any advantage on using a good quality speaker cable for my subwoofer ?

If yes, what brand of good quality speaker cable that you can suggest for my subwoofer ?
I am planning to use it with QED Cable Silver Anniversary series. Is it okay ?

I really appreciate your opinions.

Tks
sun

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2466
If you can get Cortland Cable which makes highly engineered cables used by NASA!
http://www.thecortlandcompanies.com/cortlandcable/aboutus.asp

I would go with that, otherwise since it's a subwoofer and only plays low
frequencies where your not listening for imaging and extended high end then
just about any piece of wire is fine. Just get some decent inexpensive cable.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1883
. . . but as long as it is blue!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
So, all of your suggestion are for subwoofer there is no necessary to afford a expensive cable one since the sub only play the lower and not the midrange or high frequency.

But, then, why there a cable that specialize use only for subwoofer ?
And they recommend just for subwoofer since this cable can work well in low frequency.

Is it true ?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 537
Bettercables Silver Serpent Sub cable. Buy it from SVS online for a discount.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 614
I use a generic audio cable. Cost me an entire $5 (canadian) for 50 feet long. Seriously.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3844

Peter - And your point is ... ?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 617
That's there's little point on spending a forture on a sub cable, or even asking which should I get.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3851

And that's based on your experience with how many different cables?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 327
lol

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 619
A thousand cables Jan. A thousand.

Seriously, I had a better cable which was 15' long, and when I moved the sub it wasn't long enough. So I had this 50' cable I got from an discount electronics store (surplus inventory and the like) and used that. First I tried it in the same spot as the better cable and couldn't tell a difference. There's no hum, and I would imagine the hardest thing about transmitting sub-100 Hz frequencies is picking up 60 Hz. It's hardly a difficult signal to transmit...

No, I'm not going to "audition" a $200 cable in my home...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3857

OK, just checking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Okay, back to the point.

Anyboday could suggest specifically of the good speaker cable for the subwoofer ?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 555
I did suggest one have you checked the reviews. The debate will rage on forever about whether cables make a difference or not. If you think they do then do some research and buy some. I am one who does believe that they make a difference and I bought the cables that I suggested to you in my post above. I would never spend a fortune on cables (unless I had a fortune to spend on a system), but I believe there are cables that really make a difference. There is no relationship between the money spent on cables and how good they are. The best bang for the buck cables I have bought are the custom made ones that I buy from Northwest Audio Labs. The proprietor Jim Ott makes very good transparent cables and burns them in for $45 per 1 meter pair. I have heard much better but not for any less than 3 times the price. I just spent $150 on an Audioquest HDMI cable that replaced a $45 NXG model. The difference is night and day. Again if you chose to go the quality cable route do some research and go for it. Stay cautious though as there are an awful lot of bad cables out there regardless of price.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2476
Both Art and look4sun I never said there is no difference in cables. I believe there
are and to a certain degree some are better then others. But I don't believe in what
some may spend on there cables, as to me there is a huge deminishing return on
investment. But for a subwoofer cable that's only job is to supply the frequencies
from about 80hz on down where they are non directional, plus little of that sound
do we actually hear, I'd be hard pressed to believe that any decent cable wouldn't
get the job done as well as any other "great" cable.

The acoustic research stuff that you can get on ebay or at your local best buy is
good quality cable at reasonable prices that would work just fine.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 558
Kegger-It sounds like we agree on the cable issue. BTW I was not responding to anyone in particular. I know this is a controversial topic so I always approach it from the direction of "my opinion" rather than "it's a fact".

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 554
My choice would be Chord Co Chameleon Silver Plus which works very well. A cheaper alternative would be Chord Co Chrysalis. If you're looking at a long run (more than 30 feet), the Chameleon is the better bet. Chameleon is used in studios as a microphone cable because of its excellent noise rejection and minimal loss over long distances. Not cheap but high quality.

You have a quality sub there. I've played with a couple of M&K subs now and they've impressed me no end.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us