Need opinion on Denon PMA 2000 IVR

Username: Soumya

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a stereo set up. Being placed in Bangalore, India - does not have many choices which come with warranty and support.

Got to here Denon PMA 1500 and Denon PMA 200 IVR. The first one looks to be bit biased towards high base where as the 2000 is very very naturalistic/pure in sound. Both are played with apair of KEF Q7 speakers

At the same time, I'm searching in internet to understand how Denon stereo amps fit in the Stereo Amp product space. It seems like people are not of very high opinion about Denon. Instead everyone is going gaga over only NAD.

In this context I'll really like to know what makes people so much comfortable with NAD when compared with Denon. Is the technical spec which is very diferent/advanced with NAD ? Or just the perception or personal preference ? However, seeing that majority of people feels NAD is the best there must be something which is independent of personal preference - I'll like to know that factor.

Also why Denon is bad, thinner and bright ? Is it again somethng perception ? Or what is the wrong fcator with Denon.

However, when I had demo of Denon PMA 2000 IVR with kEF Q7, I found it just out of the world. I've also listened to brand like Onkyo, Marantz, Cambridge Audio. But Denon PMA 2000 - I found it very very good compared to them.

Just looking for some frank opinions and insight which will help me in taking some decision.

Soumya

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3770

NAD has had the reputation for giving good quality sound with a minimum of frills. Most of the Japanese manufacturers like frills. I generally advised my customers to look at the face plate of the receiver; the one with the least number of buttons and knobs and lights and googaws probably put their money on the inside of the receiver. (Look at the weight of two comparably powered receivers, the one that is heavier probably has the better power supply. That is an indication of quality.) The Denon line is not a bad product by comparison to what else is out there. And NAD is hardly the last word in fidelity. But to do better than either brand will take more money or more concessions on your part. Consider the availability of having a dealer at hand who can help with problems should they arise; and they often do when setting up a Home Theater. If you like the sound of a product you can audition, you should give that good marks since you don't want to turn this into an endless search for the perfect receiver. Most of the reason anyone buys anything will be some form of personal preference.

Post Number: 2
Hi Jan,

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I can understand your point.

One omre additional point for my consideration is support for phono. Denon's PMA 2000 IVR has a very good support for both MM and MC cartridge. Not sure whether equivalent NAD model has the same.

In general can you tell me which model of NAD be compared with PMA 2000 IVR ?

Thanks,
Soumya

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3773

Sorry, I don't know the NAD line well enough to know the answer to that question. I would give NAD a call or an NAD dealer. You'll get a more biased answer, but you should be able to sort through the marketing to find the answer you need. Don't overlook the used and refurbished market if you decide to forgo the dealership representation. NAD and HK both do refurbished products at reduced prices.

I also wouldn't be that overwhelmed by the MM and MC compatibility of the Denon. More often than not, if you want top notch sound from a MC cartridge, you won't use the built in step up device. Also, the MM cartridges of today can outperform most MC cartridges unless your tonearm is a very rigid design. The availability of very good high output MC's makes the MC phono section less than necessary for most listeners.

Post Number: 3
Hi Jan,

I'll most probably used some good MM Cratridge Ortofon/Shure. So MC is not my botheration. However, in some amps even good support for MM is not there.

Also, I'll like to know if you are aware of, what would be the downside of Denon 2000 IVR for the long run ?

Soumya

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3777

There's really nothing I can think of other than the resaleability of the unit should you decide to upgrade at a later time. I doubt it will hold its value as well as some other products. But that might not be that important to you. Denon overall produces reliable products that offer reasonably good value for the money.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us