Thank you forum-persons!!! After much deliberation....

Username: Cindarn

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 6
I'm sooo excited! We just auditioned/purchased Paradigm 100's, CC470 center, ADP470 rears and baby woofer PDR12. And, Denon 3805. Ran out of budget so woofer was compromise. But, since I originally found your site wondering how in the world I could find a receiver to make my 901s sound "right," this was a huge leap in a whole different world. Now, all husband has to do is unpack and set up. Have enjoyed reading your forum and learned alot. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 454
Just for your consideration. If you can take back the sub you can do far better (I own Paradigm Reference series speakers so no put down there). The subs from SVS or Hsu are likely far better buys. I have the Paradigm PW2100 which is quite a leap up from the PDR12 in the Paradigm line and it really doesn't do justice to my Studio 40's. It's a fine sub but there are are a lot better. Congrats on the rest of your system it's awesome and will give you years of enjoyment. Any questions feel free to ask. I have been using Paradigm gear for many years.

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 7
You know, Arthur, Rich showed me the SVS PC-Ultra (and we were impressed by the enthusiastic reviews...) but at $1,149 we decided we'd better wait. Tonight we also heard a Klipsch. At higher volume levels I "felt" lower tones that I didn't hear with the PDR12. Finally, we decided to use the bucks on the Denon 3805... I was astonished at the difference it made in the richness of music. I'd kept reading on the forums about receivers, but I was still absolutely amazed when we heard that one over the other Denon we auditioned. No problem with returning the sub, though, and I would more than welcome any suggestions for a specific SVS unit that would compliment our system... We are booked for a cruise this fall. Maybe we should just cancel, sink some of the money in a sub, stay home and enjoy. :-) Boy, wouldn't he just love that!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 495
If you have your eye on the PC-Ultra by all means save up for an excellent sub. In the meantime however, SVS's PB-10 ISD for $429 shipped kills anything at the same price and would compliment your system far better.

With the performance of the PB-10, you may never even need to upgrade anyway.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 455
The one Kano mentioned is the one I would look at. It will outperform the Paradigm PDR12.

Username: Stuman168

Post Number: 1
Arthur, I am starting a home theater so far I am getting the marantz SR8400 and tannoy bookshelf speaker. Since people recommend matching fronts, I am contemplating to purchace paradigm studio series. Do you notice big different btw 40 and 20? how about center how's CC470? Is 10% of retail a good buy for paradigm?

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 8
Kano, thanks for the link...husband now says we're going to return the PDR12 and get the SVS PC-Ultra anyway. Do you think the Ultra fits in OK with the rest of the system??

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 457
I actually advocate timbre matching all of your speakers if you can afford it. If not the fronts and center are the most important. There is a big difference between the Studio 20's and 40's and strange as this may sound it depends on who you are which one you like the best. Some folks prefer a small 2 way bookshelf speaker and other prefer something else. I like both but prefer the fuller sound of the 40's for my mains, The CC470 is awesome, dialogue is clear as it can be. Yes 10% is a good deal on Paradigm. In my area you're lucky to get 5%. Paradigm has such good bang for the buck, that I pay more attention to the service ethic of the dealer than to the discount. With the SR8400 you should have a fun home theater. Remember go for an internet direct sub, SVS, Hsu, or Outlaw. Paradigm subs are ok but you really have to get the Servo 15 to get a sub better than most of the internet direct ones. If you want to wait to get a sub I have a Paradigm PW2100 ($750) currently and have ordered an SVS PB12-ISD/V ($775 delivered) which should arrive next week. I will be comparing them next weekend and will report what I hear on this site.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 496
Depends if you like house shaking bass Cindy. Both the PB-10 ISD and the PC-Ultra will provide excellent bass for all applications. The real question is will you utilize the PC-Ultra's extra power or not, because that sub can truly produce some spectacular bass.

I'd suggest home auditioning the PB-10 ISD to see if it meets your needs. You can always send it back if you want more power or the lower bass extension of the PC-Ultra.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 462
Sorry about the cross communication here, I was answering Stu's question.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us