Help with speakers

Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 1
hi there my names jay..i have some ?'s about my athena asf2 speakers .1 id like to know what breaking in the speakers means an what it helps it with.2 what does warm an bright mean with sounds on the speakers ive heard these terms here an other forums..3 im using a 3 year old or so sony receiver model str-de475 im pretty sure..it sounds alrite but would it be better with a HK receiver..so far the sound in music is alrite but with movies i have to raise the volume up higher to hear the voices of the actors but wen the music parts come from the movie it sounds realy loud an i have to turn it down.i find i have to have the remote wen im wachin a movie so i can turn the volume up and down depending on the part of the movie its at..these speakers are just 2 weeks old so im not sure if its the so called ;breaking; i have to wait for .or its my reciever.4 are athena better then bose i ask this cuz im not sure to return the athena an get the bose surround system.1 more thing i bought monster speaker wires model-xpms are those realy alot better then just older red an black speaker wires does it realy make a big differance..thank you plzz help

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 500
Good God man, whatever you do, do NOT get Bose!!! Biggest marketing scam in audio. They will make your Athenas sound like multi-million-dollar speakers in comparison.

The AS-F2s are not bad at all for the money, the weak link here is your Sony receiver. Yes you would do a hell of a lot better with an HK, and for not much more money if you buy refurbs directly from them with full original warranty---search for "Harman Direct" on eBay. You can get an HK130/135 for around $200, an HK 230/235 for around $300, 330/335 for around $400. Any of these would blow the Sony out of the water.

Monster speaker wires---basically make a lot of money for Monster, IMO. Especially with a low-cost system I think you're burning money---just go to Home Depot and get their generic 12-14 gauge speaker wire for a fraction of their price.

The other thing you might want to look at if you're not hearing movie dialogue properly is getting the Athena center channel speaker, then setting your receiver's speaker settings to increase the volume level of the center channel.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 445
Edster is absolutely right IMO. The Sony is the problem not the Athena speakers. You will likely be amazed at what your Athena's can do when you get a good receiver in the mix. I'm not one of those folks who think that cables makes no difference on the contrary I think it makes a considerable difference, but I would still never spend a significant portion of my system dollars on it when there are good buys everywhere. Monster is a brand that is WAY overpriced for the quality that you get. Not that I wouldn't pay Monster prices, just not for Monster cable. For speaker cable one of the best buys out there is the Home Depot 14-gauge outdoor extension cable (colored black and orange). This stuff actually made "The Absolute Sound" recommended products list.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 493
You have to calibrate your speaker levels to get your centre channel to blend in with your fronts, as well as with the surrounds. This is hard to do by ear but can be a quick fix by just raising the centre channel dB level on the receiver. There is no substitute for using an SPL meter and properly doing it.

Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 2
hey thanks alot guys for the info very helpful..im gonna return my monster speaker cables..at least till i get a good receiver ill get better speaker wires an use my old 1's..ya some times in movies my speakers sound to high on the treble ..i guess its the sony receiver not givin good juice output..hey i still havnt heard wat warm an bright means with sound on speakers an recievers ..an what breakin the speakers means an if it is a big diff wen its done ..thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 449
Warm and bright are subjective terms. To me bright means a speaker (or other component) that is over analytical. Lots of detail at the cost of listenability over the long haul. Just a little bright suits many folks, too bright causes listener fatigue. Warm speaks to gear that gives up detail for musicality and long term listenability. Too warm and you miss too many details and get bored. Most folks prefer equipment that is a little on the warm side. When folks refer to equipment as sounding "tube like" warm is one the characteristics thay are referring to.

Anonymous

My friend just got a Digital Research (DAV Digital home theater,system power 800 watts)it didn't come with and Amp it has one large sub woofer that has 8 wire jacks in the back 4 for input and 4 for output and it says 200w peak. it has 5 smaller speaker.4 of the speaker are a like (they are box type) and on the back it says 120peak and the last one has no rating on it thou it is a little bigger then the other 4 .what we woudering is can we hook up any Amp and/or how do we match one up to it. the qustion is do we conect all 5 of the speaker to the 4 outputs (2 on eash side and one bridged? Thank you for your time if can help that would be great

Barnacle
Unregistered guest
"My friend just got a Digital Research"

Can he take them back or is the white van gone? He got taken by a scam.

Most likely the one different speaker is the center channel. Does the sub have a sub in or just the 4 speaker inputs? If you have a surround amp just hook the speakers directly to the amp's corresponding channels and the sub out to the sub in on the sub. If the sub does not have a sub connection you need to run the fronts and rears but not the center to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers and set your amp to no sub. Then the crossover in the sub will handle bass management.

Unregistered guest
hello i would like to know how to use my creative 4.1 speakers with my dvd player wht cable is required to use it since the tv cable is not compatible thx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us