Paradigm Atom and alternatives

Username: Vivekama

Post Number: 6
Hello!
I bought a pair of Paradigm Atoma and heard them for a couple of days. My cousin has a JVC stereo which is hooked up to a pair of KEF speakers. So I played the atoms on the JVC. Although they have good mids and decent bass, somehow the top end seems to be lacking, would have liked a little more brightness . Dunno if the problem is with the JVC deck that I hooked it up with. There is no control for treble.

The receiver I'm planning on buying is Onkyo TX-8011, which has treble control. Would the atoms sound better with this receiver?

Can anyone suggest an alternate pair of speakers in the similar price range with similar bass performance and brighter?

The ones I know:
1. Infinity Primus 150
2. Polk R15
3. JBL E 20
4. Polk Monitor 30
5. (Are Sony's any good?)
6. ACOUSTIC RESEARCH ARVP25 or ARVP26

or pls feel free to make a suggestion.

Thank you very much!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3741

The Paradigms are plenty bright. Find a good receiver and you should be happy.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 426
I agree with Jan about the Atoms. I am not sure the Onkyo would be the best choice but if you are happy with it that's fine.

Post Number: 7
Is the Onkyo on the warmer side? I have a budget of $200, thats a big handicap for me. Any other suggestions for the receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 470
vivek,

I'd bypass the Onkyo and look at some refurb HK receivers at Harman Direct on eBay. I've seen the HK 3480 stereo receiver (a 120 wpc powerhouse) and the HK AVR-130/135 go for under $200 there...and since this is Harman Kardon direct, you will get the full original manufacturer's warranty.

Harman Kardon is well known to have some of the most conservative power ratings in the industry, while Onkyo is notoriously the paper tiger opposite.

If you're looking at $100/pair speakers I've heard good things about the Fluance SV-6 bookshelves which are Internet direct and therefore should (in theory) offer better quality for the money.

Another good bet is go to your local Best Buy and see if they still have any of the Athena B1s or B2s on clearance, they should be in your price range. The Polk R15 is actually not bad at all (just do NOT get the Polk R20, it's crap) for the price, as long as you don't crank it too high or expect any strong bass from it.

Post Number: 8
I have just one or two options. Exchange it with a B&W 303. I paid $170 for the atoms, the dealer is offering $300 for the B&Ws; is it worth the exchange?

Post Number: 9
Just had one of the worst customer service exp. I wanted to buy the Philips DVP642. Circuitcity was offering it for $53 with free shipping.. i had a simple question: Will the player work on a PAL TV... the CS said not 100% sure, ask local store... local store dunno, they don't carry the product... call up more stores, its either 'no-one-is-available-to-take-ur-call' or they don't carry the product.... I called 15 stores and no one knows or picks up.

Thats circuitcity customer service. :-(

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 433
Yikes! That sucks, can't say that I'm surprised though.

Post Number: 10
Finally bought the dvd player. Called up Philips twice.

I ask the cus. rep. @philips if the product offered in circuitcity and other stores (model dvp642) is the same as advertised in philips website (since circuitcity and also J&R told me they were not sure if the model could run on PAL system); she kept saying "sir it says in the manual.."... I asked "are you 100% sure", "Is circuitcity offering the same model", "Can there be any difference b/t the websites"... She says "It says so in the manual...". Very irritating.

I called up the Philips customer service again and explained what all happened, this time it was a different person... all she said was "Yes Mr.Vivek, you can buy the model in circuitcity, it will play on a PAL TV". :-)

Bought it. !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us