New budget stereo

Anonymous

I am looking to put together a new stereo system because my old system, composed of older equipment is starting to break down. I am fairly new at this because I did not purchase my other system, it was passed down to me. I do not have a ton of money to spend, so I would like to get a fairly high quality system for not a lot of money. The only thing that this will ever be used for is lisetning to music.

Right now the amp I am most seriously looking at is the NAD C320 BEE. I have read a lot of good things about this amp and it seems to be in my budget. I am open to suggestions on other amps that may suit my needs.

I am also going to be buying speakers to go with this amp. So far I have been looking at the PSB Image 4t, Alpha T as well as the Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 and Pacific Evo-200. Again I am open to any suggestiosn on better speakers.

What would be the best set up that I could buy for a small price? Would the NAD amp match well with any of these speakers? Is it powerful enough for these speakers? Also would it still be good enough to go with the cheaper speakers from these brands?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 35
I have not heard the PSB's with the NAD C320BEE but I have heard the amp and it is excellent - sound, value and true power. From threads in this forum I doubt you can go wrong with the PSB NAD combo

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 159
Anon,

My Rantz is correct. You can't go wrong with an NAD/PSB combination. I haven't heard the other two models you listed, but I have an NAD paired with PSB and the sound is wonderful. That being said, if you do go for PSB, I would definately step up to the Image series over the Alpha series. The differences in price are not that great (4T's are $649 a pair retail-Alpha T's are $549 a pair retail) but the difference in sound quality is very large. The Alpha's are fine speakers don't get me wrong, but they just aren't up to the same level as the Image series. The Alpha line is PSB's "budget" line, and doesn't sound nearly as good as the Images do. For only a difference of $100, I would definately go for the 4T's.

Anonymous

Great, thank you for the help. I was leaning towards the Image series anyways after reading a few reviews, I think I can justify spending $100 more.

Are there any other brands of speakers or amps that I may want to look at?

Bronze Member
Username: Goose

Post Number: 62
This post has some information on the Wharfedale Diamond 8.4. Although they seem well reviewed, information about these speakers is quite scanty. I do not know how they would pair with NAD.

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 13
Johnny,
My cousin just bought an NAD 763 and is looking to pair it with some PSBs. Do you think the Stratus series is worth the jump up in price from the Image line to be paired with a 763? I personally feel the Image line offers more value and also more flexability, but I wouldn't want my cousin to short chanage his fine receiver.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 304
Anonymous,

Consider the present and future benefits of surround sound. A good 5.1 "receiver" is also a good stereo amp; a good DVD-player is also a good CD-player. What you can also get, even just for music, is the possibility of playing DVD-Audio discs in 5.1 surround. It is really something. If you keep your old speakers for the surround channels, all you need to buy over a new stereo system is a 5.1 receiver/amp in place of a stereo receiver/amp, and a centre speaker. You then get "Home Theatre" or "Home Cinema", too. And a quality sound system for it, not the all-in-one, out-of-a-box systems that most people buy for HT/HC, and are quite inferior, mostly.

I am a long-time stereo fan, but am delighted with the new, additional world of 5.1. So is my family.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 163
Blazer,

I heard the Stratus series this past weekend, and I was VERY impressed. I definately could hear a difference between the two. The sound coming from the Stratus speakers was much fuller sounding and a little more detailed. One would expect as much considering the huge price difference. For me, the Stratus series was not even an option because of the price. I have an NAD T762 (which is virtually the same as the 763) and I have been extremely pleased with the Image series that I have paired with it. For the money, I think the Image series is one of the best buys out there. The sound of the Image series would rival the sound of much more expensive speakers in my opinion.

My advice is usually to go for what you can afford. Like I said, there is a noticable difference between the Image and Stratus series. If your cousin can swing the extra money (which with a full 5.1 setup could be more than $2000 depending on which models you get), then I would say go for it. However, if your cousin is going to have to sell one of his kidneys or something to make the step up, obviously it is not worth it. I think your cousin would be more than pleased with either line. Go with what you can comfortably afford.

Anonymous

I think I have pretty much decided on the PSB image series. Right now Saturday Audio Exchange has a special on the PSB image series. Now I am just wondering would it be worth $120 to make the step up from the Image 4t to the image 5t?

Thanks for all the help.

Username: W9cw

Post Number: 9
Although the title of your post is "New Budget Stereo," one thing to consider is to buy a used receiver or integrated amp. The NAD receivers of the '80s and early '90s were excellent, and the buid quality of the ones manfuactured in Japan were exceptional. These include the 71xx series receivers (7125, 7140PE, 7175PE, etc.). And, they already include a high-quality phono preamp stage! Another consideration is the 3020 or 3020B integrated amplifier. These were also designed by Bjorn Erick Edvardsen (the BEE designation in the current C320BEE). It is not a coincidence that the C320BEE uses this model number - see the relationship from the earlier 3020 and 3020B to the current model! The 3020 and 3020B also have high-quality phono stages, and are absolutely excellent amps - real classics in the best sense of the word. And, they are easily available at less than $150.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us