Looking for best 5.1-7.1 HT receiver for between 800-1200 USD

Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 1
I am new here and have breifly searched through some old posts to see if anyone has brought up a similar comparison and did not see anything that stuck out. If this is a repost then someone direct me.

I am trying to decide between 5 different receivers and have heard all of them. I have plenty of time to think about the decision but I just wanted to find out if there is anything that should be a red flag to me (recalls, poor construction) for the following choices. I am looking for "well known" issues and not an issue that happened once in a blue moon and you are the unfortunate soul. I don't mean to discount this happening to you but I hope you get what I am looking for. Sound advice. :-)

NAD 753 or 763
Onkyo 702 or NR801 (if on sale)
Denon AVR 2805 or 3805 (if on sale)
Rotel RSX1056
Sony 2000ES

The Rotel is the most expensive but like the NAD units they really sounded powerful considering that it was the least powerful system on paper. The Sony is in last place due to issues with quality that I have either read on this site or others. Both the Denon and Onkyo are very close competitors. The last AV person I spoke with said that there is a definite difference between the Onkyo 702 and the 801 series. Said something about the SR series is entry level and the NR series is the way to go since it was the true "high end" Onkyo that is so legendary.

For now I will only be driving some old Sony speakers that are on their way out. Replacing them will be a pair of bookshelf B@W705's with a sub that I will worry about later. Bass is not overly important to me.

Sincerely thanks for any help!

Britt

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 80
Personally, with B&W's I wouldn't really listen to any of the recievers you have mentioned. I would look at the Marantz SR8500 and the HK AVR635. They are more warm-sounding receivers and they should complement the bright B&W's nicely. both the marantz and the HK are in your price range, with the Marantz being a little higher than the HK.

ps, probably the only onkyo I would look at would be the Integra brand (that's what Onkyo is famous for). They used to be owned by Onkyo, but now they are their own company. The only problem with Integra's is that they are hard to find in stores and therefore hard to audition... check www.integrahometheater.com to learn about them.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 385
get the Marantz sr8400 from ubid, should go for around $400-600 with direct Marantz warranty...absolute STEAL!

Put the savings into the best SVS or Hsu subwoofer you can afford, believe me even if you're not a basshead a good sub makes a huge difference especially with bookshelf speakers.

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 3
There are 5 authorized dealers within easy driving distace from my house for the Integra line. I was suprised to see this! Are they worth my time to even check out? Are they out of my range price as their site does not disclose MSRP?

Also the store that I auditioned the Rotel 1056 at said that Rotel and B&W were developed for each other. From what I have heard the Rotel combination was my fav. However I will have to try and find a Marantz dealer to hear the SR8500. Thanks for the advice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
go to one of the authorized dealers, listen and figure out which Integra receiver you like. Then call around and figure out what the median price is for that model.

As for the Marantz, the 8400 auction ends in a week's time so be quick!

tom50ka
Unregistered guest
Britt, I have posted a similar request for advice. The Denon 3805 in on sale at Ultimate in Dallas for $899 in case you decide to go that way.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake272727

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 28
Why not look at hk 7300 on ebay at $1200

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 534
Britt

I don't get where Cyrus is coming from - to me the B&Ws sound warm, not bright. Of your list, I am familiar with the NADs, Rotel and Denons. I would go with the Rotel. It is the most muscular amp and those B&W705s need quite a bit of driving. The Denon would not be high on my list for this reason, even the 3805. My experience playing around with this kit in the shop gives me the feeling that the Denons are fine with relatively benign loads, but they easily get confused when faced with a heavier load such as the B&W 705.

My second choice would be the NAD T763 - forget the 753, again because of the load. The only caveat with the NADs is that their headphone output has a tendency to hiss. The corollary of this is that they tend to be very musical indeed so if this is important to you, the NAD should be high on your list. It's been some time since I did a direct A/B between the NAD and the Rotel. My impression is that the Rotel remained the better amplifier in HT terms, but that the NAD just pipped it in music terms. The Rotel has a cleaner presentation but the NAD's was more fluid, hence the more natural music presentation.

The B&W 705 is a fine speaker for the money. However, you need to treat it like a floorstander since it has a lot of useful output down into the lower registers. You need to pull it away from walls if possible since these stifle it and often generate bass boom. Most of the time, they like to be toed in fairly heavily so their axes cross at or in front of the listener, though this is room dependant. Most people think of the 705 as a full range speaker. You only need a sub for deep signals such as organ or bass drums.

Good luck with your final choice.

Regards,
Frank.

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the feedback Frank!

The 705's actually sounded warmer than the floorstanding B&W's that I listened to in the same 700 series. I don't really know why but the towers sounded brighter to me. From what I have read online the 705's for someone on a bit of a budget are the way to go for a small/medium 15X15 size room. Pair it with a 10inch 500 watt sub for the bass. Add the center and surround later when more $$ is available.

I have seen the 763's one EBay for as little as $999.00 which is the same as the 1056 Rotel. Looks like I would get more for the $$$ by going with NAD and I would not be giving up anything with the quality that I am looking for.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1088
If you're a movie buff, I like the Yammi2500 over the models listed:-)

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 9
I am 60-65% music versus movies. My current Pioneer also sounds great with movies but the music is where it just cannot come close to what I was hoping for. My wife offered a suggestion today to just buy a stereo receiver for the den for music and bring the Pioneer to the bedroom to set up surround sound in there in time. This could really change what I am looking for and possibly make my decision much simpler as there are not too many 2 channel models out there now.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 175
Come on Paul you know the Yammie won't hold a candle to the Rotel.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1095
Sure........ at least it wont Buzz and hiss at you like the NAD models.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 649
Paul my NAD don't buzz or hiss it just outperforms any Yanaha you or I will ever hear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 735
Brittho,

If you decide to go 2-channel, look no further:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5779383500%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

Should easily blow any 2-channel receiver under $800 out of the water.

Other options for 2-channel excellence on a budget:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=HK+3480&JRSource=PriceGrabb er.datafeed.HK+3480

http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=YO&Product_Co de=NAD_C320BEE&Category_Code=AMP

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 84
Stick with the units you have already previewed, don't mess with the Integra line. Once upon a time there was a good bit of difference between the 2 lines; however, that is not true anymore. Integra is still a part of onkyo, though they have spun off into their own line. When you check the internal componenets, you will see that they are almost identical.

I have to agree with Frank, the rotel is the first choice, so long as it has the inputs, and any other features that you feel you need.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 665
Having owned both Rotel and NAD AVR's I give the edge to NAD for musicality, but not by much and it is definately just a preference as they both sound excellent IMO.

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 10
OK I had the chance to listen to the NAD720BEE with Rega R3's. The NAD is only $599.00 retail and although it is only rated at 50 watts per channel but man they were all there. According to the salesman at two stores now the 720BEE is flat out the best deal at MSRP now for what I was looking for. So the Pioneer will be moved to the closet for use one day in home theatre (the next house will have a recroom) and for now I will go back to stereo in the Den. I will go back and give the Rotel a listen as well but it does allot of stuff that I did not need and cost 50% more than the NAD. I shouldn't post this here but has anyone else experienced Rega's speakers? After listening for 45 minutes to different styles of music they really impressed me. I have some mixing up to do as this shop sells a great mix of different products.

http://www.audioconceptsonline.com/index.htm

Honestly though the Pioneer sounded fine for movies but for music...well you know...

So some folks are having quality issues with the 742,752 NAD units. But I don't find allot of issues online about issues with 2 channel NAD. I am guessing that since they have been doing stereo for all these years that I should not have too much to worry about. Or not?

Edster thanks for the link to the 320BEE the 720BEE is the same animal but adds a tuner. Both are sweet pieces to hear! The J&R link was broken for me though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
The J&R link was for the Harman Kardon 3480 which is a 2-channel 120wpc receiver that goes for $270 shipped. A good low-cost solution but I'm sure the NAD would have better sound if it suits your budget.

The NAD issues I've read about are all related to their multi-channel receivers and supposedly have now been fixed. Never read anyone with their 2-channel stuff complaining like that.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 380
Guess there are no Denon fans in here.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 142
NAD has very few problems with their 2 channel equipment. I am on my fifth and never had any issues. I really like NAD stuff and have had a hard time finding models that really benefited there cost besides NAIM and YBA which were about 3 to 5 times the price and the difference was not astronomical like reviewers would like to make you think.

I have been lucky to have been to some pretty big hi-fi shops over time and listened to many many....different types of equipment and never was really blown away except once with a system of about 200 000$ with YBA power amps and JM LAB Utopias. I thought I was on stage!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 383
I heard those utopias once in a shop called audio forest here in Atlanta and they completely blew me away. Forget what amp it was but it had gold tubes hand made in France, holy cow what a setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us