Best receiver for under $250

Bronze Member
Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 26
Ok, I have a set of ok Samsung speakers (5.1 6ohms) that I need a receiver for. The speakers and wire where given to me so I have that, but all my budget can afford right now is $250. I have been looking at the HK 135 and the Onkyo TX-LR552, and TX-SR502S. Oh, the wife said it had to match our silver sony tv as well. Any suggestions would be nice, and also why you suggest it.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 497
The h/k will have a much better amp section at that price point. In addition, it has good flexible bass management (lots of frquencies to choose from, and can be different in all inputs). No contest for me.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 380
Look at Harman Audio on eBay, you might even be able to get an HK-230 for that price, with full manufacturer's warranty.

The other wild card is a pure digital receiver like the Panasonic sa-xr55, may be worth a listen. I think the Onkyo 552 is also all digital, but personally I haven't been real impressed with Onkyo's sound quality at least not their low end stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 76
Listen to eddie, once again. go with the HK. lower end onkyo's tend to have internal short problems. HK uses premium materials in all their receivers, plus the black/silver finish will look good with just about any decor.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 845
If I were shopping in that price range, I would look at Pioneer & yamaha. Both offer a ton of features and a lot of bang for the buck. It will be tough finding anything with more capability at that price point.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 586
Yamaha. But I'm not sure either choice will make much difference given your current set of speakers. I don't intend this as an insult. But Samsung speakers are not known for their high fidelity.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
> But Samsung speakers are not known for their high fidelity.

Understatement of the day! : )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I know that my samsungs are crap, but they were free. I plan on upgrading them in the future to a set of onky ht-240's or something similar. Does it matter what receiver I get if my sub says 3 ohms, and the speakers are 6 ohms?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 390
None, keep saving.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 505
Arthur, not everyone wants or needs to spend a forturne on audio. Get real.

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
If your sub is independently powered then it's totally irrelevant how many ohms it says, the only thing that matters is how it sounds and if you're satisfied with that.

As for matching speakers and receiver, well if you're absolutely sure you're going to get the Onkyo HT-240s or another package speaker setup in that price/quality range then yeah I don't see much point in spending more than $250 on the receiver.

Heck if you can find a Pioneer 514 for around $100-140 (look on eBay) you might be OK if those are the caliber of speakers you want.

On the other hand if you can get an HK 135 or 230 for just an extra $50-100 why not? Would make a big difference if you ever decide to upgrade your speakers to something better than the Onkyos.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 393
I'm not advocating spending a fortune but $250 doesn't buy alot of quality. I wasn't being smart I was just giving my advice. I believe that there are times when waiting a month and spending a little more might save you some headaches down the road. Admittedly the Samsung speakers may not require more of a receiver but ben appears to be building for the future and if he spends enough time researching he may find that he wants better speakers. Best to avoid the the upgrade cycle by buying a receiver he will be happy with even with new speakers.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 507
Perhaps, but there nothing wrong with the h/k. It has similar amplification to its bigger brothers. It's a good receiver. It cost C$700 plus 15% tax here, so it's over twice the price of the cheapest Pioneer, JVC, Sony or Yamaha (which start at C$250 to C$300).

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 596
"None, keep saving." Man, what a classic response. I'll be laughing all day. Thanks.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 394
I like the HK and I hope that ben can stretch his budget to buy something like that. I definately agree with you Peter, most of us have some budget we have to follow. I just hate to see folks buying really bad gear just to get it now, when if they just waited a little longer they might be able to afford something nice like the HK. Good luck on your shopping ben.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks for the advice guys (even the keep saving one). I have found that HK sells refurbed 230's on ebay for under $250. Let the bidding begin. I am not set on the Onkyo speakers, but I have heard good things about them for the size/price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
ben,

Good luck, and be patient! HK Direct has a seemingly endless supply of refurb stuff on eBay, so bide your time until you get a really good deal!

Here's a tip: I find that a lot of the auctions that end in the middle of a weekday have fewer bidders than the ones that end on the weekends so they often don't go up as high.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us