How can i add more speakers to my hi-fi?

Alexxx
Unregistered guest
i have a sony 3 disc changer hi-fi. the two speakers are 3 way speakers (hybrid dual woofers) and they are both 75watt rms speakers. my sister has a similar 3 disc changer sony system which has two 5way speakers, both at 80watt rms. can i add those 80-watt speakers to my system because her system is broken? i've been told that if i just stick the wires from one set of speakers into the back of the other set which is connected to the hifi it'll work but i dont want to damage any of the speakers. can anyone let me know what they think please?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 291
of course you can do that, just try it and see.

Better would be to buy even cheap $100 bookshelves like Polk R15s or Fluance SV-6s which would sound a hell of a lot better than OEM Sony minisystem speakers...any minisystem under $400-500 will stick you with absolute garbage speakers.

Alexxx
Unregistered guest
thank you for the post edster :-) i had a little search on the net for the spec of the two speakers you recomended but the resistance on those speakers are 8ohms whereas on my speakers i'm using at the moment are 6ohms. does this matter? if so then what difference does it make? can i connect 8 ohm speakers directly to my system and then from them have some 6ohm speakers connected?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 445
Edster is saying you can put the speakers in parallel to run them at the same time. I would NOT do this on an inexpensive amplifier as the load will be too great (impedence too low). This is particularly true if a pair are already low at 6 ohms! The combined resistance is 3.4 ohms! And that's a nominal rating; it can get much lower than that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Peter may be right. I didn't read your post very carefully, thought that you just meant switching out a pair of speakers. Are you saying that you're trying to run TWO pairs of speakers off of your system at the same time? I probably wouldn't do that...just junk all 4 speakers and get the cheap $100 aftermarket speakers.

Don't worry about the ohms thing---if your minisystem was capable of running 6 ohm speakers, that's actually a GOOD thing for switching to 8 ohm speakers, in fact the 8 ohm speakers will sound even better.

It's switching from high to low impedance that you'd run into problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
BTW, look into the Paradigm Atoms---don't let the small size fool you! You can usually find them used on eBay for $100-150 a pair. The Paradigm Titans and Mini-Monitors are even better but costlier.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 551
Purchase a speaker selector switch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
Dale,

I'm curious, would a speaker selector switch allow him to play all 4 speakers at the same time, or only 2 at a time?

Alexxx
Unregistered guest
i'd like to try and avoid buying some speakers at the moment. i just thought it would be nice if i could connect boths sets of speakers to my hi-fi at the same time because i have a spare set just lying there. what i was told was that i should connect the 1st set of speakers directly to the hi-fi as normal and then connect the wires from the 2nd set of speakers directly into the back of the 1st set of speakers, so they're kind of just sharing the red and black bit where you clip the wires in. is that a bit more clear? my terminolgy isn't great but i'm learning from you guys :-)

if a speaker selector switch is the way forward then can anyone recomend one or what to look for in one? and are there any dangers in buying a cheap one? sorry for all the questions

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 559
Depends on the switch. Adcom makes a switch that might.

Alexxx
Unregistered guest
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=29754&doy=8m5

Has anyone got any thoughts on this speaker switch?

Alexxx
Unregistered guest
i bought a speaker switch from richer sounds and everything is all connected up and working. my speaker arrangment is a bit rubbish though but theres not much i can do about that i think, because my room is so small

halbe
Unregistered guest
I have recently bought the Sony Hifi system with 120 W rms two speakers. I have a set of Philips speakers (6 ohm). Can I just connect these Philips speakers additional to the existing speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
If you want them to sound like crap, plus overheat the amp (probably 30wpc in real world performance to begin with). You'd be better off spending $100 on some cheap aftermarket speakers like the Polk R15s and hooking those up alone; the speakers are where these minisystems really screw you as a rule.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us