Troubleshooting Issue

Bronze Member
Username: Major

Post Number: 12
In another post, I described a problem I was having with my NAD T743 Receiver. The problem was that I was only getting intermittent sound using the CD/DVD. After a little troubleshooting, I have discovered that the problem may be the coax going from the CD/DVD player to the receiver. I am trying to determine whether it's the coax itself or the receiver terminal (female) end on the receiver or the CD/DVD. I have eliminated the receiver itself as the problem b/c it produces sound using a standard RCA, although, as expected, not in the more sophisticated sound modes offered by the receiver (dolby sound modes, etc.). How do I go about testing whether it's the coax or the terminal ends of the receiver or CD/DVD component? Finally, I thought that my initial wiring had a coax running from the yellow video OUT on the CD/DVD to the coaxial digital IN on the receiver. However, now I see that I probably had it running from the coaxial digital audio OUT on the CD/DVD to the receiver. This is the probably the way I had it, correct?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 280
> How do I go about testing whether it's the coax or the terminal ends of the receiver or CD/DVD component?

Easy, just go buy yourself another digital coax cable. If the problem persists, you can return the cable knowing that the problem is the player or receiver's terminal.

Nice thing about Walmart---no questions asked refunds, and no guilt because you know you're not making even a dent in their humongous profit margins.

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
PS. Oh and if you want to figure out whether it's the player's connections or the receiver's connection, just do the same thing I suggested, buy a cheap DVD player and use it as a guinea pig then return it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
That I figured. How about the wiring?

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
> Finally, I thought that my initial wiring had a coax running from the yellow video OUT on the CD/DVD to the coaxial digital IN on the receiver. However, now I see that I probably had it running from the coaxial digital audio OUT on the CD/DVD to the receiver. This is the probably the way I had it, correct?

Not sure I understand without maybe photos of your player and receiver's back panel.

Bottom line for now is, connect the player's coax audio digital OUT to the receiver's audio digital IN.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I went out and got a new TOS link and a new coax and neither cured the problem. Even if it was a jack problem for the coax on either the receiver or the CD/DVD, the TOS link would have cured the issue. Now I am really stuck. Suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
Last resort is try a different DVD player I guess...if the problem persists then you'll know for sure it's the receiver.

Username: Rock_bob

Post Number: 4
Hi Major,

First start by doing a factory reset. This will erase all you FM presets so proceed accordingly.

The T743 Factory RESET is: Press and hold the Video 6 + Source Up Button for 3 seconds. The display will show RESET DONE. Cycle the power off and back on from the rear panel power switch.

The default digital input for the DVD source is Optical 1, so if you have a tos link cable try that connection from your DVD player first. Be sure your that DVD player is set to output Dolby Digtal or PCM. If you choose to use Coaxial, you will need to go into the OSD Menu on the T743 and change the Digital Input to match the Digital input such as Coaxial 3. Save it and close.

If you are still having problem after this, you should return your T743 to your dealer to have them test it.

Enjoy,

Rock Bob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us