Paradigm Studio 40 v3's, CC470, and Denon DVD2910 have arrived!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 331
I'm Giddy! Lawd have mercy! I was wrong, lawd I was wrong. These Studio 40's are worth twice the price of the Monitor 5's! Let the party begin. No movies tonight just sublime music. I'm sippin' a little Jameson's Irish and becoming one with the music, or some s#%t like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 47
Congrats!

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 54
Arthur,
Congratulations to you, Arthur.
Does the Paradigm Studio 40 sound wonderful too in movie ? Can you describe the high and low points on this speaker ?
Btw, what receiver do you use to amplify these speakers ?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 343
Thank you,

These speakers do all things well. Classical music, jazz, pop, funk, movies, these are equal opportunity speakers. I use the receiver as a processor and to power the center and rear speakers. For the front 2 I use a HAfler 9505 power amp and an NAD C162 pre. I run interconnects from the receivers front L/R pre outs to the video in on the pre. I run the sub low level to one set of pre outs on the NAD and the other set is connected to the power amp. I get the best of both worlds. When in 2 channel the AVR is off completely. When I'm watching movies I have all the current in the AVR for just the center and rears because the front 2 are driven by the 250 watt per channel Hafler power amp. Below is my system.

Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v3's
Paradigm Mini Monitors v4's
Paradigm CC470 v3 center channel
Paradigm PW2100 subwoofer
Premier Stands
NAD C162 Pre amp
Hafler 9505 Power amp
Marantz SR 5400 A/V Receiver
NAD C542 CD
Denon DVD-2910 Universal player
Rotel RLC900 Line Conditioner
Studio Tech A/V Cabinet
Sony 50WE655 LCD Rear Projection TV
Liberty Cable THX Ultra Cap Speaker cable (2.00 per ft)
Northwest Audio Labs Jim Ott custom interconnects (45.00 per 1 meter pair)

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 203
all that on feeding the homeless , wow I'm in the wrong bus.

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 55
Is it okay if I use the DENON 3805 to drive these Studio 40 ?
And have u ever heard the sound difference between DENON and your HAfler 9505 power amp + NAD ?

Tks.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 344
As if it is any of your business Joseph. My wife and I are both Case Managers with the Oregon Department of Human Services. We administer the TADVS (Temporary Assistance to Domestic Violence Survivors) program, the Food Stamp Program, the TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) program, the NNCR (Non Needy Caretaker Relative)program, the ERDC (Employment Related Daycare) program, OHP (Oregon Health Plan), and several other programs that I'm not thinking of at this moment. I have been at it for 6 1/2 years and before that I worked at Hewlett Packard. I took a pay cut to do what I always wanted which was work in human services. My wife has been with DHS for 17 years and before that worked for Oregon Public Broadcasting. We are both on a multi year pay freeze due to the state of Oregon's financial crisis. Our pay scale has 8 steps, I'm on step 3 and make $2664 per month, my wife is on the top step (8) and makes $3370 per month. We live in a 1086 square foot home. Both of our children are grown up. My son is on his second tour of duty in Iraq and my daughter works at the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. My wifes daughter is finishing her MSW at the University of Washington. Now Joseph can you quit getting worked up about my job and get on with talking about audio.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 345
Look the Paradigms will sound fine with the Denon but to really make 'em sing you may want to invest in power/pre for the fron 2. Even if it is an inexpensive. Parasound, Adcom, and NAD all make inexpesive pre amps, and you can find goog used power amps on Audiogon or at Echo Audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 48
Arthur - All three of my daughters are LCSW's. Keep up the good fight!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 713
That's a lot of stuff. If only you had a TV.
I figured you didnt have one since everything else was carefully listed.

heh......j/k.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 346
Thanks Jimvm. Paul, I'm not sure who you're addressing. My TV is listed above. The Sony KDF 50WE655 LCD rear projector. Great picture and we got a great buy at Video Only in Eugene.

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
oops...

Must have missed it on the list.

Bronze Member
Username: Sr_immortal

Post Number: 18
Ok I have a question. I just bought 2 pairs of Paradigm Titans for the front and back and the CC-270. I talked the wife into letting me upgrade and these are my 3 choices:

#1. Two pairs of Monitor 5s for front and surroudn and the CC-370.

#2. A pair of Monitor 7s and Mini Monitors for the surrounds and the CC-370 or

#3 A pair of Studio 20s for the front and Mini Monitors for the rears and the CC-470.

Now I have the Denon 1905 and wont be able to upgrade that for awhile. I also use my HT system for 85% video games, 15% movies, no music at all. I also have the Toshiba 52" DLP. I play video games online competitively so having the best imaging and localization is what I am looking for...which is why I chose to stick with monopole speakers for my surrounds, rather than the ADPs. What do you guys think? #1 was my first option, #2 is what the paradigm dealer suggested, and #3 was what the guys over at the AVS forums suggested, but kinda switched to #2 after I gave them that option.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 93
I'm finding the imaginc on the Studio 20's is darn impressive. I'm loving them & can't wait to upgrade my center channel (it will be a 370 due to space constraints). I'll round out hte system probably with Mini Monitors (gee, option 3? ;) )

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 347
Joshua: Not doing any music I would suggest either option 1 or 2 (probably #1 for your use). hey Chris those Studio 20's are great aren't they.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 210
Arthur, you are too easy to mess with. Sorry for egging you on but I just got rubbed the wrong way in our last coversation, I really feel bad now though cause you make less than me and have much better speakers. Oh well, cruel justice.

Anonymous

Joseph, your two posts are enough to never come back to Ecoustics again. Who cares what Arthur does for a living, or whether you make more money a year than Bill Gates? That is absolutely irrelevant to this forum. If you get rubbed the wrong way while discussing audio please retort in audio terms.

Arthur, from the posts I have read, tries his best to talk about audio. What have you contributed to this forum?

Ecoustics has degenerated into a useless collection of messages from one member trying to put another member down. GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT.

Silver Member

Post Number: 737
Do you know what I think??

I think all anonymous posters should be banned, and required to register to post messages. If you're too lazy to register, just go away. Nobody cares what "anonymous" thinks.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 96
Arthur: Yes, I love them! Got some great advice to go listen to them form this forum & I'm glad I did--all the great reviews of the Paradigms are indeed accurate. I even quadrupled my initial budget for fronts to get these! Best yet, dragging the wife in to audition them achieved instant WAF (including price factor)!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 352
Chris: My wife did not want to buy the Studio 40's due to the price factor and she thought the Monitor 5's were good enough. I bought them, hooked them up, turned 'em on and her eyes got about the size of Kennedy half dollars. She hasn't complained since. Now I'm figuring out how and when I can secure the Studio 20's for rears. Not this month or next but before the year is out I'll have them.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 214
Wow I guess anon is a forum moderator without any clout. Arthur, no matter what your friend says, that was a feeble attempt at an apology from me there. Also, who says that anyone has to post exacting comments here. I try to have a little fun (at Arthurs expense)j/k, in here and see what educated consumers have to say along with the characteristic posts you seem to need anon. I will never post again if Paul says I should.

Silver Member

Post Number: 738
Please tell me that no-one in their right minds allows the 'wife' to make HiFi buying decisions for them??
Who's going to be the primary user of this system?? When it comes to HT shopping, I wont even let the wife come along.

It's a two way street though......If my wife has a pet project and is shopping for new tile for the bathrooms, drapes, stone for the patio, etc, etc, etc,...........that's all her. I dont want any part of that, and she can hire whoever and do whatever she wants. I dont care.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 353
It's all good joseph. Heh Paul, my wife and I have been married for less than a year and half. We work together and do just about everything together. She goes with me to the audio store and I go with her to the furniture store, and I actually enjoy it. As you can tell from the fact that I have the Studio 40's that I do make the audio decisions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
Arthur,

I know, I saw where you got what you wanted.

If anything, I was referring to the "MANY" who keep muttering this "WAF" garbage as if the wife has to approve their HiFi choices.

The shoe would be on the other foot(of course) if it was the Mrs.that was the movie/HiFi buff and using the system, but that is not usually the case.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 354
I'm with you Paul.

MyTMouse
Unregistered guest
Congrats!

I'm still considering wether to get the Studio 40's or the Monitor 5's. I don't make much money but I REALLY want to get fantastic speakers.

Are the Studio 40's really THAT much different? I've heard a few opinions that say they're only a slight upgrade in sound quality but they're much more expensive

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 355
Both the Monitor 5's and the Studio 40's are great speakers in my opinion. However, the Studio 40's are a significant step up in sound quality. They sound better in every way that you can imagine. I once thought that the difference wasn't as much as it is primarily because the v2 Studio 40's weren't nearly as good as the v3's. Having the Studio 40's in the same room that I just had the in 5's last week has taught me the difference. If you can afford the 40's it is worth it.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 223
the only think I got for the wife was a record player, turns out I love getting back into vinyl so I go and get a nice turntable and now I don't let her use it! lol j/k but I always upgrade everything, man can't I be happy with what I got?? guess not. If I was single I would have to say that I waould have jmlab utopia towers, b+w comps, music hall mmf9 and a teac reel to reel. oh I can dream can't I

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 356
Upgraditis is the audio lovers disease. After I get the studio 20's for the rear and a good HDMI cable, my next project is a turntable. My friend sells Project who I think makes a great table. I want one more for the nostalgia than anything. When I first got into audio over 30 years ago that's what we had. Vinyl still sounds great 30 years later.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 228
I have the project 1.2 got it for 200 bucks and threw an ortofon super om20 cartridge on it, love it

Silver Member

Post Number: 744
I'm not so sure about the vinal 'lasting forever' bit. I havnt played a record in 20 years, and seem to remember crackles and pops working their way in even on fairly new albums 'back in the day'.

The talk of vinal reminded my of my first CD player that 'i think' I bought in '84.
The Technics SL-P8.....whoah, it was expensive back then too!! It even had a pitch control knob...LOL
http://www.audioscene.tv/catalog/images/cd%20technics%20sl%20p%208%20copy.jpg
Im amazed that I was even able to Google a photo eventhough the only site I could find was in German. Back in '84, I was the first person that I knew that a CD player of any kind........Heh

Back then, it was a novelty item.

I have no idea how I remembered the exact model number from memory. My next CD player was a Pioneer that I bought a few years later, and I have no clue what model number that was.

I guess CD players are like s3x.......
I remember the first girl/time as if it were yesterday, but have no memory of who was my 2nd.....hahahahahah

Bronze Member
Username: Sethmckiness

Des Moines

Post Number: 16
Side note on the Studio 40s, The only Paradigms I have A/B tested that sounded better were signature S8s.. The blow away the 60s and the 100s IMHO.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 357
The crackle and pop is why I was glad to see records go the way of the dinosaur. I have a friend who is into vinyl and swears that he can get rid of the noise. I figure it might be worth a small investment. Seth: the Signature Series Paradigms are out of this world. They compete in the "cost-no-object" world quite nicely.

Silver Member

Post Number: 750
Yea, Im sure the 40s sound much better than the 100s and completely blow them away...........Heh

MyTMouse
Unregistered guest
I was just gonna ask if anyone has heard the Signature S4 speakers and how good they are

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 358
To many folks the 40's have a more balanced sound than any speaker in the Reference line. I can't say that I am one of those because I have not heard them side by side. I can say that louder isn't always better. We all have various applications for our systems. I do 80% music so I am looking for something different in a speaker than someone who does 95% movies.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 232
new vinyl pressings are amazingly clear with obviously minimal crackle pop, I have a 200 gram re-press of led zep 4 and it sounds amazing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us