Volume problem on Receiver

Unregistered guest
I have an old Technics SA-303 receiver with SB-L30 speakers. One of the problems I have is the volume is very exaggerated, for lack of better word. Volume gets loud after barely turning the dial. What can that be?

Other problem (related?) is speakers occasionally crackle or cut out.

Any chance both problems could be due to very old audio cable (20 yrs)? Could replacing the 16 gauge cable do anything?

Thanks in Advance, Brendon

Anonymous

Sounds like either one of two problems or both at the same time. The first is, check the impedance of your speakers and the receiver's output rating. Both should match. It sounds like you're using 4 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm receiver. The second problem, cutting out, could be the variable resistor in the volume control. You can buy contact cleaner spray at radio shack and open your receiver (unplugged) and spray inside the variable resistor while turning it back and forth briskly.
mz

Anonymous

Sounds like either one of two problems or both at the same time. The first is, check the impedance of your speakers and the receiver's output rating. Both should match. It sounds like you're using 4 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm receiver. The second problem, cutting out, could be the variable resistor in the volume control. You can buy contact cleaner spray at radio shack and open your receiver (unplugged) and spray inside the variable resistor while turning it back and forth briskly.
mz

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 807
Maybe your receiver is on it's last leg. A funny sidenote.....

I recently had a dryer go bad. Just before the heating coil stopped working, it burned a load of clothes before stopping from producing any heat whatsoever.

It sounds to me that your old receiver is about ready to sizzle. It's not going to last forever, and no.....nobody has ESP or can correctly diagnose old components without seeing them in person. Well, that is outside of the general......."it's about ready to die" diagnosis......Heh

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 355
Brendon,

Replacing the 16 gauge cable would be a very cheap experiment (Home Depot generic 16 gauge is fine) but I doubt it's causing all of this.

Sounds to me like you have an excellent reason to upgrade your receiver, and if possible even your speakers...I would suggest you seize it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us