Give me some speaker suggestions!

Bronze Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 71
hello to everyone in home audio, im looking for some well-engineered speakers for max $1000 for a pair. i want them to run off of the standard resistance for home audio, and be pretty loud, with good quality while doing so. either way, im going to be running them through a 9-band equalizer. keep in mind im using akai speakers from 1984 right now, and they sound really good to me through the equalizer. (they sound really flat when i dont use it) anyways, any suggestions and links would be appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
to add to that, im just going to be running 2 speakers, no sub or anything. and i prefer floorstanding speakers over anything.

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 130
$1000 is that interesting area where it's still often better to stick with standmounts for quality sound. But...I have a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls, and I haven't heard a floorstander that can touch them http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
i was considering the polk rti10 speakers, they look really good, i live in a really small town so there isnt really a way for me to hear any of these high end products.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 262
The RT10s are not bad at all though a bit overpriced, I usually see them going for close to $1000 a pair which I honestly don't think they're worth.

I'd choose Paradigms in that price range, or better yet a $600 SVS sub with a $400 pair of quality bookshelves.

Just my 2 cents; have never heard a TRUE full-range floorstander under $2000/pair that didn't screw up the mids and highs in exchange for the extra bass...but who knows, they might exist somewhere out there.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 30
I'll beat Paul to it. Cerwin Vega CLSC-215; Dual 15" woofers baby. No equalizer needed here.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 321
hahahaha.....maui you beat me to it too. i was pretty tempted to do it before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
awww, you guys are stealing Paul's thunder! ; )

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 677
It depends on what he is looking for in speakers. He has yet to describe the speaker qualities that he desires.

If he's building a kickazz movie theater or wants to crank some ACDC, look no further than the CVs......Heh

I find it interesting that none of you have inquired about his listening habits before throwing recommendations around willy-nilly. At this point, all you really know is that he's running a 2-channel system and he wants 'good floorstanding'.........whatever that means is yet to be determined. At this point, it could be anything from boutique micros to the behemoth Cerwin Vegas or anything inbetween.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
> it could be anything from boutique micros to the behemoth Cerwin Vegas or anything inbetween.

congrats Paul, I'm happy to see that you now acknowledge the existence of an "in between" category...ah, progress!!!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 679
I've always maintained that each speaker design was created with a specific purpose in mind. Big or small, each has it's purpose where it's best suited.

Choosing the correct speaker for your 'given' purpose is what makes speaker selection critical.

Anonymous

You may want to try the Axiom 80s. They are a little over your budget (they run about $1200) but you have a 30 day home trial and the price includes shipping.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 13
Ditch the 9-band EQ before upgrading speakers. Don't use it when comparing speakers, as it adds phase distortion to the system, making it very difficult to discern differences between speakers.
The more you have in the signal path, the worse the signal gets. My .02 anyway. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
i listen to all types of music, except country, i probably listen to music about 90% of my day, no joke. pop, techno, rap/hiphop, any type of rock, im pretty much an all-rounder.. i don't care about home theatre as i don't watch many movies, but i love to listen to as much music as i can.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 19
"im looking for some well-engineered speakers for max $1000 for a pair"
If your really interested in engineering in speakers, do yourself a favor and read the following article. It's one of the best I have read, and it will change the way you look/listen to speakers.

http://www.celticaudio.co.uk/articles/science.pdf

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us