Best $300 theatre receiver: Onkyo TX-SR500 and Pioneer VSX-D811S or ???

Trying to decide between Onkyo TX-SR500 and Pioneer VSX-D811S - both are around $300 but come with vastly different capabilities. Will consider any other suggestions as well. I will be using the receiver with a 5.1 setup of Polk RM6600 satellite speakers and the Samsung DLP507 that has a ton of component connections. Do not have plans anytime soon to do 6.1 and don't think I will need the receiver for component switching.

The Pioneer seems clearly superior but I want to make sure that I am not missing something or have something improperly documented. The issues:
* Power: The VSX-D811S delivers 100 watts x 2 (stereo) and a full 100 watts x 6 (surround), with pre-amp output for all channels. Onkyo has 65 watts/ch.
* Decoding: Pioneer has 6.1/7.1 Digital EX and DTS-ES. Onkyo is 5.1 and DTS.
* DACs: same
* Connections: Onkyo does not have any component video connections. Do you think this would be a mistake? Pioneer has component switching.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
If I were you I would go with the pioneer, you can't go wrong, it has everything you will need for a later date. I think it is important to have component connection, I also believe the pioneer is cheaper as well
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us