NAD 773 POP!

Anonymous

I recently purchased the 773 and it sounds great. However, when switching channels and a different audio source is identified, namely from digtal 2 CH to, stereo or stereo to DD all of the speakers give off a loud pop. The system works fine afterwards but the pop is very annoying. Is this normal or is there something wrong? What can be done to fix the noise.

Username: Hab

Post Number: 4
I too get a pop sometimes....like when ticking the box on digital cable to turn on digital with the remote. My big probelm right now is getting an awful picture as well as bleeding on OSD when going S-Vid to S-Vid. I own a NAD 752.

Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 7
Anonymous,

Mine did this too when switching inputs(twice) and/or switching between DD and DTS(usually). Rather loud and sent the unit into protection several times.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 22
Anonymous,

I've had my T773 almost a month now and have never...knock wood...heard any pops or odd noises when switching inputs and/or sound formats. I use my 773 for my TV audio too so it gets used daily.

I would not think this is normal, at least not based on my 773 experience, and wouldn't think this to be "normal" really by any definition for a receiver.

Ben Winter
Unregistered guest
I hear the pop on my 763. I also heard a pop on my olde Integra DTR 5.3. I told the dealer when I brought it in and they said that the sound is harmless and depnds mostly on the satellite receiver or cable box.

Jim Martin
Unregistered guest
I just bought a refurbed 762. It sounds great, but pops loudly when switching sources, turning speakers on or off, or even when muting. It doesn't matter if it is an active source or one not even hooked up. It has nothing to do with the cable box. This can't be normal.

Jim Martin

Marc
Unregistered guest
Jim, I have the same problem with my 743 (3 of them so far). I'm getting a popping sound from the speakers, but only when my TV is on. I've gone so far to only have the speakers connected to the receiver, with no inputs at all and I still get a pop.

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 70
This problem appeared back in the 7x1 series NAD's!!!! NAD engineers still haven't figured out the problem 3 years later??

I will never buy a NAD receiver. NAD Integrateds have no problems. Wish NAD would just stop trying to make A/V junk and concentrate on integrated and seperates again.

Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 2
I think that nad receivers aren't junk at all but a better cut from the rest. Nad receivers are very sensible to the devices that they are connected too.

Username: Merton

Post Number: 1
Robert,

I don't think they are junk, either, but there is no way anyone should have to put up with this popping. Its not an issue of it being sensitive to connected devices; it pops virtually everytime it is switched, even with NO connected components.

Anonymous

The Rotel 1055 does the same thing when switching between sound formats. It is NOT just an NAD issue.

Malta

Post Number: 5
I have a T762, and till now I haven't heard any pops, Its been installed within my current av setup for about 7 months.

Anonymous

When I auditioned a T761 last year it popped during my audition and I asked the NAD certified dealer what it was. He said, "whats a little pop when the music plays you'll forget all about it".
It did sound good through some PSB's but the source he used was a $2500 player. So I don't know why it sounded good source or receiver. I left the dealer with a bitter/sweet taste in my mouth. Since then, I've heard many more different problems with the NAD's so I sat on the fence waiting for the new series to see if NAD fixed the problems. Sad, they haven't.

Buy NAD seperates or integrateds, stay away from their A/V receivers!!!!

Malta

Post Number: 6
I surely won't be one of those persons. Within My AV setup, I have had a T750, T751 and now my current T762. All of the receiver gave a great service. May be the first 2 weren't that flexible software wise and input wise, but the later model delivers in both flexibility, docoding formats covered and inputs. I'm even considering, moving to the T773 as I think its the ultimate integrated receiver within the amplification section

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 37
I can't believe that these hisses, hums and pops could be considered 'normal' or not worth worrying about: "asked the NAD certified dealer what it was. He said, "whats a little pop when the music plays you'll forget all about it".

The fact is there are many NAD receiver owners who don't have any of these problems. So, these issues must be faults. On another thread I read where the dealer told the owner to contact NAD himself because he didn't know if such noises represented a fault. Come on! These people don't deserve to be authorized NAD dealers and customers should complain to NAD about them in no uncertain terms.

Nad has obviously let receivers on to the market that are rife with problems. And NAD make the best receivers on the market for the money and better than others that cost much more - when they are working correctly.

People, both NAD and their authorized dealers need to be held acountable and you should not let up on them until you get satisfaction. You spend good money for a top product and that's what you should receive.

Some people suggest that because NAD owners with problems are more likely to post their gripes in this forum it seems to exaggerate NADs quality problems. Initially I agreed with this but it is obvious that NAD receiver complaints here seriously outnumber those of its rivals. This fact should create a picture!

Some dealers mentioned in this forum certainly are worthy of representing NAD's products because they go to bat for their customers and those customers usually become satisfied NAD receiver owners. This is only my 2 cents worth - don't put up with anything below 100% satisfaction from NAD or its dealers.

Peronally, I wanted to purchase a NAD receiver but I was scared off and am now a satisfied Marantz customer. My SR 7300 ran very hot in very hot weather (solved by a small 12v fan) otherwise it's just great. But if it had any of the problems like those of the NADS mentioned in here I would not accept it.

If a dealer offers a product with a warranty then he should ensure that the manufacturer solves any problems 100%. If that does not happen then the dealer should make a full refund as it is he (or she) that sold the product under the understanding that the customer has paid for that warranty along with the product.

Bronze Member
Username: Merton

Post Number: 15
An update on my 762:

Monday morning (3 days ago) I called the dealer, Spearit Sound, where I purchased the refurbed receiver. They agreed that the popping was not normal and immediately offered to send a replacement, along with a UPS return shipping label. The receiver arrived at my office yesterday. I am very impressed with Spearit's customer service!

I got a chance to hook up the replacement this afternoon. It exhibits none of the popping noises, and sounds great! I only used one source, but switched between all inputs. I used an Accuphase CD player and Alon Circe speakers. The Nad had good detail and depth of image. I only had time to listen to a couple of Diana Krall tracks. This system is usually powered by a high-end tube amp. The Nad was not as warm and not quite as detailed, but sounded very very good for a transistor amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us