DualDisc Problem - Have they a future?

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1748
I recently purchased Robert Cray Band's "Time Will Tell" recording on the new DualDisc format. The DVD side was fine but the cd side would not be read by my Denon DVD-2900 (TWICE) then after turning off and turning back on after a break, it read the cd but stalled about 20 seconds into the first track (stop/start/stop/start etc). The cd would also not be read by my Yamaha CDC-765 - which has also been a very reliable machine.

So, I hope these problems get sorted before all DVD-A goes the DualDisc way (if that is the intended future).

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1007
My Rantz - welcome to the wonderful world of a format that is, to say the least, flawed.

Much has been written about the CD side - because it apparently isn't Red Book standard - and because it either skips or stalls - or simply gets stuck in your player.

Recently, in Europe, the CD-producers finally got together and agreed on a slightly thinner disc, and I believe they also settled on Red Book quality/standards for the CD side - but I'd have to re-read to be sure.

From what I gather in the Press - the in-coming Blu-Ray format will kill off the DVD-A - and let SACD fill the void. Blu-Ray will, however, pick up speed - first with movies, then music. Several years away - but still something to think about. . .

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 665
If Blu-Ray or HD kills off DVD-A, it is just as likely to kill of SACD. Why would Sony make any more SACD's if they have Blu-Ray HD discs?

The fact is, neither SACD or DVD-A has been a marketting/sales success. And I own both types of discs. They will both likely fade away when either (or both) HD formats take over the waterfront. Both HD formats have just as good Hi-Rez capability and they will both contain enough storage for far more information--from video performance, to extra audio, or even dialogue by the producer, musicians, etc.

But as long as you have ample inputs on your receiver or pre-pro people will be able to play their current discs. They are just likely to have 2 or even 3 different cd/dvd players.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1749
The success of the hi-res formats is actually beginning to become evident. Some record companies are producing albums in the hi-res format only. Golden Earing's new recording was released in Hybrid SACD only and reached the top ten in the Netherlands. It will be quite some time in the future before the need to cease making recordings on these formats because of Blu-Ray or HD. There is currently a similar format battle going BlueRay and HD. Many DVD-A's are now being released in a sleeve set with a cd. This might prove much better than DualDisc though the cost may be a bit higher. Like any new format, it takes time before enough people upgrade their equipment to allow sales to escalate.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1011
All: One of the "problems," if you will, of the Blu-Ray/HD formats is the vast amount of storage capacity. As I understand it, one Blu-Ray disc can hold all nine Beethoven symphonies!

Now - if I were a record executive - would I want to put all nine symphonies on one disc? Well, yes, IF and only IF I could sell it for nine times the price of a SACD or Red Book Cd, holding one of the symphonies.

I have not idea what's ahead - but at my age and with my system, I'm sure I'll be "gone" long before my SACDs are replaced with music Blu-Ray.

Movies, as I've said - are another matter. I look to see movies on either blu-ray or HD within a year - and from what I hear, they will be great.

Now - I guess I have to buy yet another player? Heck, guyz, I'm tired of upgrading. . .I mean, I've just got rid of the last of my 3 1/2" floppy discs - and have put my backup stuff on those wunnerful "flash" sticks, or whatever they're called. Amazing - speed, convenience, and they're just like another hard drive. Who would-ah thought five years ago?????

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1754
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=13024104

The above link discusses a possible technological compromise/merger between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1019
My Rantz: Thank God! (or, heck, Eric, if you prefer) I did NOT look forward to another senseless VHS-Beta war. Sigh. SACD-DVD-A is bad enough!

thanks for the link - it brightened my day appreciably, sir.

Anything new on the SACD-DVD-A war, BTW? I don't think either side will give up - it will just amount to defeat for which format truly loses out to Blu-Ray or its compromise format. then, BOTH formats may disappear - along with a LOT of my hardly-earned money! Sigh. Here we go again. . .

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1757
Larry,

If Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ever takes over from SACD and DVD-A in the hi-res audio stakes then by that time I think I will have enough recordings to see me through to the end of my days. As far as competition goes between the existing two hi-res formats, they both seem to be releasing many more titles than ever. And as for quality - when hearing the best of both, I'm darned if I can pick which is the better. There was a time I was leaning toward SACD but with recent DVD-A titles I think the jury will be out for quite some time - if not for good. All I can say is that I'm (we) are enjoying our hi-res music immensely and the money spent to let us hear it through a quality system has been worth every one of those - er gulp - thousands of dollars. Oh my! LOL!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 666
The fact that HD or Blu-Ray can hold copious quantities of recording material certainly doesn't mean mean that the record companies will put numerous albums on one disc. Afterall, the disc is the same size as a cd or dvd--they will more likely put added video, maybe commentary, and possibly other renditions or whatever. Heck, I have LP's with 25 minutes of music and some with about 60 minutes of music.

The information carrying capacity of the disc will just allow the software providers to do more if they wish and if they think it makes marketing sense.

But I do believe it is inevitable that HD and/or Blu-Ray will become the de facto disc playback system. I doubt that the providers will want to print various discs.

Obviously, the success of HD or Blu-Ray in market penetration will determine the speed in which the transformation takes place.

Most receivers and pre-amps have enough inputs to allow those with universal dvd players or dvd sacd players to keep the players viable and your collection of dvd-a and sacd discs viable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us