Disappointed w/ new speakers - replace with ...?

CoreyInDC
Unregistered guest
Hello all...
I have a Yamaha RX-V730 and a DefTech C2 center speaker (room size is 13'(w) x 30'(l) x 10'(h)). I had an old pair of RTR series IV floor standing big speakers. I wanted to replace those with smaller bookshelf speakers. I bought the DefTech Studio Monitor 350s thinking they would match well with my C2. Unfortunately, the sound is much smaller and not as deep (NOTE - I do not want to get a sub - the bass levels are fine with the RTRs). A couple questions for all of you...

1) Could part of the problem be because I decreased the distance between the two speakers?
2) I don't mind spending up to $750 / pair. What other speakers should I consider?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 531
You wont get 'big' sound from small bookshelf speakers. If a big soundstage is what you're looking for, look exclusively into large floorstanding monitors.

CoreyInDC
Unregistered guest
I understand what you're saying, but is there perhaps a better bookshelf pair that i could consider. I don't need a huge soundstage - the room is not that big. I just want to bring it closer to what I had. If that involves spending more money, so be it.

Thanks all

Silver Member

Post Number: 533
If you have large floorstanding speakers now, any bookshelf will be two steps backwards unless you exclusively listen to classical music, or are looking for surround speakers.

If I were to buy speakers today, I would give the Classic CLSC-215s a listen.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/index.html

The 'music snobs' will try to explain how these speakers sound terrible without ever having listened to them, but they're only trying to rationalize spending much more on tiny 2-way bookshelves. You know....trying to make themselves feel good about their own choices.

Everyone has their own preferences and what they look for in speakers, and there is no right choice. The key is to listen to a variety in person, and pick what fits into your listening preferences. More me, it's all about having a large movie theater soundstage, and I never 'just' listen to music.

I've recently shoppe speakers, and to me......just about everything sounded 'small'.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 172
Corey,

At what height do you have the 350s right now? You might want to experiment with elevating them more.

When I put my old Mordaunt Short bookshelves on stands so that the tweeters were actually 1-2 feet *above* my ear level, it opened up the soundstage dramatically. Suddenly they were flooding the room (and I have a huge room with 20 foot vaulted ceilings that wraps around on both sides to other parts of the house) with sound like never before, when they were sitting on my low and wide entertainment cabinet.

I've also had friends who wall-mounted their bookshelves about six feet off the ground but angled downwards slightly towards the listening position---INCREDIBLE difference!

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
Best advice would be to wall mount them in a closet where they belong.

Heh

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 180
Paul,

I notice that you've lately been talking about closets a lot...do you live in one by any chance?

I'm sure you can find a good therapist in your neck of the woods to help you with your, er, personal confusion. LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us