How do you 'unlock coax' on a Sony DVD player in order to access full DTS and 5.1?

Username: Fellaw4

LondonUK

Post Number: 2
Have recently moved, and have therefore had to set up my home cinema system again. Am running a Sony DVD DVP-S735D attached to a Sony AV Receiver STR-DE585 - conected with both an analogue and a digital coaxial cabel. It works using the analogue setting, but only gives the basic surround or 'theatre, concert, hall, etc' settings - not full multi-channel 5.1 or DTS.

When I set the input to 'coaxial' it says 'unlock'! Have tried going through various settings on the DVD player, but nothing has worked so far. I have been advised by my local Sony shop that there should be a setting on the DVD player that will switch between optical and digital, but for the life of me I can't find it!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Mark

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3526

It is set in your "Custom Set Up" at the bottom of the first screen. Engage "Digital output". Switch on DTS and Dolby Digital and set the player to 96kHz/24 bit.

LondonUK

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your response, Jan

Unfortunately this isn't working! It sounds right, and is also what my local Sony supplier suggested, but it was already set to Digital On, and I had already selected DTS and Dolby Digital.

It gives me surround through the speakers when I set it to analogue, and also auto select, but not the full 5.1 or DTS that I was getting before (as you may know a blue bar illuminates on the front of the amp when this is working).

I am clearly doing something else wrong, but have not figured it out yet! Have you any more suggestions?

Regards,

Mark

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3539

Mark - If the indicator does not light the problem would be ahead of the outputs would be my guess.

Maybe I'm misreading your post. Are you outputting digital signals from the DVD but not picking them up with the receiver?

LondonUK

Post Number: 5
Jan

That is right - I am thinking there might be something wrong either with the connection of the coaxial cable, or the cable itself.

The speakers are working, as it outputs in analogue surround mode. The problem comes with trying to output in 5.1 or DTS - the blue light illuminates on the amp when this is working.

I will check the connections again - maybe I should buy an optical connector?

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3540

I would certainly try a new cable whether optical or coax.

Sony Rulez
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem...Jan was right! THANK YOU JAN!!! I entered the setup menu on my dvd player, and selected all the right settings. Now the blue light is on and I am rolling with sweet 6.1 surround. THANKS AGAIN JAN!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
I have a sony surround system, i use it for simple dvd watching and playstation. my little one has been playing with the ampli and gone and lock it. now whenever i try to play a dvd it says unlock and i am not quite sure how to go about it.
can anyone help please.
Shamima
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us