Speaker advice needed

Username: Goodears

Post Number: 10
Transerring a query which i had accidentally posted in recivers and got little responses.

looking at budget speaker options to go with my Marantz 4500.Have to choose between POlk monitors, warfedale, tannoy, JBL E series, Mission. I like bass but not the Cerwin vega kind which is too muddy. mids are very important if you listen to guys like Dire straits or some other vcal recordings like Ray charles etc. Would appreciate responses from experienced users.

Bronze Member
Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 13
Dig,

You need to provide more info...that way you will get more responses.

Room size?
Budget?
Do you have or need a sub?
HT/Music Listening ratio?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 404
Can my experience really help you? Best advice: go listen and decide for yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 510
I second Dale,

Nobody can tell you what sounds 'good'. Only you can make that decision.

If you want my opinion, I'd tell you not to buy any of those brands........get my drift?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi Steve,

My room is about 15x18. Budget is around 450$. I dont think i need a sub now. But would add it on at a later stage. So the speaker has to display sufficient amount of low end. Music would be about 60%.
I had tried out these speakers earlier when i was thinking of buying a yamaha. the marantz dealer( there is only one stocks one other brand i did not like.
Hence need opinions (even from you dale, since u seem to be quite an active member on this forum)

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 405
Well, it's kind of you to single me out. However, it sounds like you are already equipped with sufficient information to begin this process without me (or anyone else) superimposing our biases. I for one, like the older floor standing Polks (they are huge). However, they are discontinued and were they still current models,I would only suggest that you give them a listen. That's my philosophy about speaker advice. It's not especially popular but that's not important to me.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 365
$450 is not a lot of money to pair with such a nice receiver. I would have put less money on the receiver and more on the speakers.

With that much cash, I'd go used. For myself, I'd look to ebay for a pair of vintage Klipsch Heresy's (still manufactured and sold new today for around US$900 a pair, I think).

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=8

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 165
Peter's suggestion of vintage speakers is an excellent idea IMHO. For about 200 bucks you can pick up some pretty solid stuff like Large Advents. Heck, for 400 you can have the vaunted Double Advent System.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thats not an option where i live. i request you folks to feed in your opinions on the brands listed. Since they are the only ones available in my area.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 258
Wharfedale Diamond 9 series or Tannoy. Mission sound very good but aren't robust (easy to blow up). You asked for advice on the above listed brands so there it is.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 528
You can probably say that for all the little botique speakers............blown speaker paradise. OH well, what can you expect from small 2-way speakers anyway, right?

Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 4
I would have to agree with Peter, such a nice receiver needs more than cheap little sats to even be worth the money you spent on it. as far as the brands you listed: polk's new stuff sucks, but jbl has some pretty decent sub/sat packages for around your price range. If you decide you want to spend a little more, try the mirage omnisats. for little speakers, they rock!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I would like to go as far away as posiible from sat systems. They just dont have the midrange.
Wharfdales have recieved lots of good reviews. Will try them with my amp. Wanted to avoid lugging it around.But why do they look so tacky???? Thanks arthur for being specific.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us