How Much of Warm or Cool Sound is Receivers vs. Speakers - Rotel and NAD

Username: Invierno

Post Number: 1
I'm considering buying either a NAD T773 or a Rotel RSX-1067. Both are great receivers that produced detailed music. Problem is they are at different locations, so I'm having to audition them with different speakers. I'm trying to determine how much of the difference I'm hearing is the speakers vs. the receivers. So, first off:

1. How much influence does the receiver have on warmth/coolness vs. the speakers? I'm auditioning the Rotel w/ Paradigm Studio 60's and the NAD w/ Dali Evidence 470's. Both sound good, but the Rotel+Paradigm is decidedly cooler while the NAD+Dali is somewhat warmer and more "alive" to my ears. If this sound is mainly the speakers I may consider the Rotel+Dali combination.

2. Unrelated to warmth/coolness. The Rotel allows me to set specific distances to each separate speaker, while the NAD only allows me to set a general distance to Front, Center, Surround, etc. Any comments on how important this is? My left and right surrounds are 8 and 12 feet away respectively.

3. Any other comments from people on one receiver vs. the other?

Finally, not a question, but just a set of comments on differences between the NAD T773 (and T763) and the Rotel RSX-1067 since I've read all their manuals 3 or 4 times and played with them a bit. This is just FYI for anyone looking at these two receivers:

- Manual: Rotel's is much more detailed.

- A+B speaker support: NAD has, Rotel doesn't. Great for the dining room next to the living room sort of thing.

- Powered Zone2: Both have, but Rotel's requires you to reset your system to defaults if you turn it on/off. NAD requires cables from its Zone2 outs to its Main ins.

- Speaker distance settings: Rotel has per speaker settings, NAD's are per group.

- Pro Logic IIx and DTS 96/24 support: Rotel (NAD is supposed to get IIx updates but hasn't yet)

- Per Input Settings and Defaults: Rotel allows much nicer control here (like making your DVD player always default to ProLogic IIx Music if no DTS and Dolby signal is present and setting Large/Small speaker sizes and sub handling per input) but NAD has easy to use Presets that do the same thing with an extra button press.

- Cost: NAD wins.

- Fewer problem reports: Rotel wins.

- Front inputs and headphone outs: NAD has, Rotel doesn't. Seems silly not to have this.

- Video Upconversion: Rotel has, NAD doesn't.

- Lip Sync: Rotel has, NAD doesn't (but it is most needed due to the slower video upconversion anyway...).

- More general options and controls: Rotel, but do you really need them is the question.

Hope people find the overview helpful.

Post Number: 2
Also, anyone know how important the lip sync feature is? Am I going to miss it if I don't have it?

dd
Unregistered guest
I'm serioulsy looking at these receivers also. I spoke with a dealer outside of my area who sells both and he told me to stay away from the NAD due to reliability issues, which scares the heck out of me considering that I'd have to mail order the NAD and wouldn't have easy access to a repair shop.

Another difference is the warranty. I believe NAD is 2 years while Rotel is 5.

You mentioned the A/B speaker difference. Please explain what this means. I'm wanting to set up music in another room or 2 myself. Thanks.

Username: W9cw

Post Number: 2
This is really a hard call based on performance. I "really" like NAD products, and have used them since 1980. But, one of local high-end shops who has been the NAD line for a long time recently stopped selling NAD's home-theater receivers. They still are an authorized NAD dealer, but now only offer their other products. I've never owned a "T-series" NAD, so I can't objectively comment - only what I read on this BB and info from my local dealer. I've known the owner of this store for over 30 years, and he wouldn't stop offering a competitive product for no reason. This particular store also offers Rotel, and they are pleased with the reliability record of Rotel's A/V receivers.

Of course, one can have very good experiences with NAD and bad ones with Rotel. If you like NAD (like I do!), I would still strongly consider buying one, but do so from your local authorized dealer so that you have local support and recourse. I, personally, would not buy any NAD product from an internet dealer, especially one who is not an authorized NAD dealer. Always refer to NAD's website regarding their authorized dealers, otherwise you may "technically" have a factory warranty, but in reality may not if you bought from an un-authorized dealer.

dd
Unregistered guest
Don's post reminded me that the dealer I spoke to said the NAD reliability issues delt only with their receivers and not with their other products.

Post Number: 3
dd: A+B means the receiver has connections for a second pair of powered speakers that match what is coming from your main front speakers. Usually, when you have both A+B going your main area will power only your fron L+R speakers so you'll have stereo in both "zones".

Anyone: Any other answers to the questions about warmth/coolness or lip sync?

Please, no comments on NAD vs. Rotel reliability, there are plenty of threads around for that <g>.

bigfan
Unregistered guest
regarding powered second zone: can the receiver play 5.1 in main rm and stereo in the second room, with 2 separate sources and separate volume control, without any extra amp?

Post Number: 4
According to other posts the T773 can, if you route patch cables from the multi-source pre-out to the center back left and right for the main-in. I haven't confirmed this though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us