Surround vs stereo receiver

benc
Unregistered guest
First, know space is not to be wasted, but must thank all for the generous sharing of expertise and opinions. My question is basic, but a starting point for the under-educated. Is it better to have separate surround receivers for TV and music? I love classical, which has many nuances, and don't want to compromise music quality to get good movie sound. Will appreciate any advice.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 458
It depends a great deal on how you spend your funds...

If you bought (say) a NAD T763 for surround and a NAD C320BEE for stereo duties, you may not perceive a great improvement in music replay with the stereo amp. However, if you went with a C372 then you would!

The other question you might want to ask yourself is this: which is your priority? TV or music? If your priority is music, then concentrate on that first with just a stereo amp and speakers. The surround can usually be added later, especially easily if the stereo amp has a dedicated unity gain (or bypass) AV input which makes for easy setup with a separate surround receiver. This is what I do, and the results are better than you'd think. Of course I don't get immersed in surround sound, but since my priority is music, I am content (if not happy) with the situation. When I have the space for a fully fledged surround system, I'll add the extra bits onto my (excellent) stereo system.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us