Speakers for Marantz 4500

Username: Goodears

Post Number: 7
looking at budget speaker options to go with my Marantz 4500. I live in india so options are limited. Have to choose between POlk monitors, warfedale, tannoy, JBL E series, Mission. I like bass but not the Cerwin vega kind which is too muddy. mids are very important, if you listen to guys like Dire straits or some other vcal recordings like Ray charles etc. Would appreciate responses from experienced users.

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 99
I don't have any experience with Tannoy but from your list I'd pick Mission, by a long shot.

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

PuneIndia

Post Number: 68
You can try B&W also....I've never heard them with Marantz, but yeah i am driving them with NAD and i've been too happy with what i hear !!
BTW What is your budget for the speakers ??

Post Number: 8
Budget is 25K or 500USD. But understand that 500$ is more like 300$ here. things are expensive here. I would love to have a B&W floorstander. Way out of my budget.

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

PuneIndia

Post Number: 70
I am also in India only :-)
yeah right 25K u would not get the B&W floorstander...but i doubt u would get any floorstander in that budget over here...
But u can get some decent bookshelf speakers for sure...

Post Number: 9
POlk monitors, warfedale, mission, Jamo have floorstanders in this range. Anyways which bookshelfs do you know of in this budget?

auriga
Unregistered guest
What u are about to read may sound like utter nonsence. However do try it if you can - It may save u a packet.

I have a Marantz 4400. Checked various speakers including some very well known brands. Nothing seemed to sound NOTICIBLY better than my "12-13 YEAR OLD" Woodstock speakers. And I am including B&W in that range too. It came as a surprise/shock to me to realize this, however it is true. You may have noted, I am refering to OLD woodstock speakers. The new ones do nto sound as good. No clue how you can find Old ones.

Also, in case you are not aware of Woodstock, they are a Delhi based company who do not seem to spend on promoting their products. No adds, No website, No exhibition participation ..... Only word of mouth. Most of the speakers are between Rs 6K to 20K a pair, if I remember correctly.

I am terribly impressed with the midrange.

Have not heard Mission etc. But also found JBL's Northrige series very good. However many times more expensive than Woodstocks (thich may not impress your guests - in case that is any point of concern)

Most people may find the above remark laughable, but I would imagine that they have not really tested the Woodstocks in a room with suitable acoustics as they do not sell in any of the "high end" shops with proper demo rooms.

P.S. My Woodstocks are 3 way with 8" woofers.

Username: Auriga

Post Number: 1
I just registeded at this site ...... u may have read my post above.

Also wanted to mention that I too am very fond of Dire Straits and have a lot of their music on the above mentioned system.

Another thing I did not mention - I don't think Woodstock makes "Active" (i.e. with amplifier) subwoofers. I am recommending Woodstocks for the front two, full range speakers. Great for sterio sound. You would have to match up other speakers for the surrounds etc.

P.S. The woodstocks did sound so much better in the lower midrange. Something I thought Bose was pretty bad at.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i know about woodstock. their newew models are'nt the same as the old. So i'm still stuck with the question? i dont want to buy a subwoofer for the music, maybe later for movies.

Username: Auriga

Post Number: 3
Have u tried the JBL northtidge series. Thought they were very impressive. approx. Rs. 30 to 40k a pair. Miles ahead of Tannoy or Wharfedele or Jamo etc. available in Delhi.

Also do consider proper positioning of the speakers and the acoustics of the room you are testing them in. Both make a huge difference in higher end systems. I expect you would be using the same CD to compare equipment. I used Indian Oceans - "Jhinni" and Kandisa for the same. The mastering of both of them is excellent.

As I said before, Woodstock would seem a little poorer than other speakers as you are not likely to check them in a suitably designed room with proper acoustics. ...... Even in the current range I also thought that the Woodstocks with 8" woofers did sound a bit better than the "bigger" models. Maybe because I have been used to 8" ones..... can't say.

AVID
Unregistered guest
Hi! Digvijay. I too was considering the 4400 and end up with a 5400 instead (needed sligtly higher power). Im in pretty much the same situation and have looked at JBL, Jamo, Energy, ProFX, Wharfdales, Definity, Onkyo etc in India to complety my system.
An important factor with Marantz is that it is a Warm Amp and does not believe in overemphasizing. Hence if u end up low efficiency speakers the output could sound haggered.
I have been recommended Missions as well! They go very well with the Marantz and have high effeciency.
You may want to consider this info.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us