Help setting up a sony str-de885 receiver!!!

I've successfully hooked up almost everything but my DVD and digital cable box into the new receiver. Everything is sony, so compatibility isn't the issue. The problem is that the str-de885 doesn't have a pre-configured optical in for DVD; it has a pre-configured coax connection for it. Our digital cable only comes with coax out, not optical out. How do I configure this receiver to use the optical in for the DVD, and the coax in for the digital cable? any help would be appreciated! :)

John K.
Justin, I'm not familiar with the 885, but since nobody who is has replied, let me give some thoughts. I do have some familiarity with the Sony DVD players and as far as I know they all have both an optical digital output and a coaxial digital output which would connect to your 885. It would seem strange if Sony didn't have a provision for using the digital output from their DVD players with their own receivers. If you haven't found the solution by now you should re-check your owner's manual and the DVD player digital outputs.

Gary N.
I'm not familiar with the Sony's but had the same problem with my JVC - the preconfigured receiver connection for the DVD was coaxial, not optical. After a few days of grumbling, I read the receiver manual and found out the DVD input could be changed to one of the optical inputs however. Check the receiver manual for some way to change the DVD input port.

Joe W
Unfortunately, the 885 does not have a configurable optical in connection. However, you can buy a converter to do this (relatively cheap). I found this one on Google, but there may be others available as well.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Dayton_Audio_Coax_to_Optical_converter.html

Anonymous
Is there a way to configure to digital audio and assign it to video 1? I can't seem to save this assignment.

THE OPTICAL INPUT FOR THE CABLE IS ASSIGNABLE BUT I SUGGEST USING A CONVERTER BOX FROM RADIO SHACK TO CONVERT THE SIGNAL FROM THE CABLE BOX FROM DIGITAL COAX TO OPTICAL(TOSLINK) TO MAKE SET-UP MORE PAINS FREE.

I just purchased an "open box" STR-DE-885 but no manual and wrong remote. Anybody got a line on downloading (or "gasp!" purchasing) a manual? Store said Sony.com had manuals available on line, but I can't find a thing.

kay
Barry, go to http://ww1.onecall.com/About_00001000_17_51_0_0_0_0.htm, look for the sony receivers and look for the str-de985 on the list since the 885 and 985 use the same instruction manual. you can actually download the manual fron ther. It's in PDF!

Enjoy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us