Archive through April 02, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 844
Rick, et al - G-day to you! A "rust" member? Well, now that is somehow not in keeping with your image, sir! As in the old saying: "I may wear out, but I won't rust out." That IS an old saying, isn't it? (grin)

No, I think "Titanium" is more like it. Let's see if Admin picks up on that!

Well, last night was another of the forum's "slow times", and I couldn't access the site all evening. So - later this morning, check with the hi-res thread for my latest SACD review.

SM - I'll leave it up to the experts on this thread, but I'd sure worry a bit about getting enough air circulation around your tube amp with those bookcases! I know that, with the NAD, I finally had to open up the entire back of my cabinet - or at least the area in back of the NAD. Even a few inches of "dam" in back keeps in the hot air - which none of us wants. (there's enough of that on this thread! - grin)

Jan's fan-idea on "Tube Talk" is a good one.

More after Br-fast. . . if the forum lets me in.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 973
Larry,

Good day to you sir. Thanks for the compliments, but I'm sure there are those on the forum that think I'm a rusty old relic. LOL! I'm sure starting to feel like one. Do you think I'll feel reborn down in that Florida sunshine? Enjoy your breakfast.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 231
Rick,

I knew you'd see it. That magazine subscription is a gift from my momma. ;-)

JohnA

The above photo shows the Maggies in "resting" position. See the Tube Talk thread for a photo with the new tube system and the Maggies in "playing" position. Re: the 'sideways' comment - that was originally brought up by 2C as a dealer recommendation and it means turning the speakers so they face each other. The sides would be perpendicular for the most part to the front wall and the listener. 2C was surprised at the quality of sound in that position but felt they lost some imaging.

Larry,

In this case, taking the back of the bookcase off isn't an option. Based on Jan's comments, I may have to worry more about what the heat does to the bookcase than the amp. I will be investigating the options.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 845
SM - OK, didn't mean to take off the whole back, just enlarge the opening behind the amp. . .

Rick - if there were ever a place where one could "rust out," it's here in Flawed-Duh! (grin) But the climate is good for squeaky old joints and drippy sinuses. Only time my old tennis elbow and scrapey hip joints act up anymore is when the temp gets down near freezing - then I, too, feel my rusty old age!

Ah, yes, breakfast: sliced tomatoes (hand-picked by me) sauteed in olive oil, over which is poured a mixture of eggs, thyme, sea salt and fine-chopped Thai peppers. Topped with habanero-cheddar cheese, lidded and cooked over low-medium heat until fluffed up. Makes for a beautiful presentation and absolutely mind-enabling taste! Gets the gray cells waltzing - (grin)

See hi-res. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
2C,

Tried the sideways Maggie position. I was able to pull them out into the room far enough that the right speaker had a wall behind it instead of a door opening. Didn't like the sound at all. I found there was no sweet spot and many mid-range details were lost.

So, they will be used in the more traditional position. I think there are some acoustical treatments I can do to sweeten the sound even more than what it is currently giving me.

Larry,

I'm not sure what I will do. I would be willing to cut the cabinet to make the current hole in the back taller but I won't go any wider. The amp barely covers the width of the whole right now. :-) The opening right now is approximately 3"h x8"w. I could probably make it 5" tall. First, I think I'll look into getting a fan. Would the fans be mounted on the bookcase? Will the fans introduce noise? Do I need to even worry about this? I don't keep my amp on 24x7.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Kegger,

The outer edges of the maggies are 8' apart when in play.

Larry,

Athena has been stuck to me like glue today - at her request. :-) She's followed me around all morning, jumping into my lap, crawling over my head and shoulders. I think she feels guilty for the stress she caused yesterday. lol

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 848
SM - I think you need Jan's input re the fans. As you know, the NAD has built-in ones - but as to a separate one, I've never dealt with that issue.

I do know that the fan would, indeed, be mounted on the bookcase, and should add no appreciable noise.

Now that the Maggies are truly getting "broken in," do you hear any difference? I know the B&Ws smoothed out after a couple hundred hours - not before.

And oh, yes! Don't you dare cover up that blue light! (double grin) If you've read about Rick's BLs, you know he'd be down there in a minute to "deal with you" for being anti-BL! Maybe Kegger would join the fray. I'm too old to fight, so would just sit on the sidelines and cluck-cluck. (chortle)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 849
SM - messages crossed paths, again. Yep, cats do have a way of saying:"uh, sorry, but I was just having a good time. Didn't mean to get you upset." Been there - many times!

Now go make yourself a proper breakfast, gal!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3263

"Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:
Jan Vigne
Bronze Member
Post Number: 19

Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 12:10 pm:
Jan Vigne
Gold Member
Post Number: 3255"

It was a busy afternoon, but I hung in there.

"All speakers (including panels, ribbons, electrostatics) have their best frequency response when heard on-axis"

All? Best? Oh, John, there you go again. Firstly, you have obviously never heard a Thiel loudspeaker. Secondly, the smoothest response will be a function of the dispersion characteristics of the driver, the surround material as it joins the cone or dome to the frame, the baffle surface area and construction plus the room the speakers are placed in. There are a number of manufacturers who suggest none to little toe in.

"I think she feels guilty for the stress she caused yesterday."

We are talking about a cat, aren't we? Guilty? Oh, Anthropomorphism, what a cruel mistress you are!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2335
Now this is amazing!
----------------------------

Jan Vigne
Bronze Member

dallas , tx

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:36 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not be using a receiver to drive ML's. The dealer where you bought the speakers surely was not using a receiver; were they?

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:49 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the input. At the dealer where I auditioned the speakers, they did use a receiver, but I purchased the speakers through Audiogon. Any separates that you think would work better? Would the NADs be a good match? I know I have to listen to them, just trying to get to a manageable level of units to audition.

BTW, glad to see you finally got everything sorted out with the imposter Jan.

Jan Vigne
Gold Member

Dallas , TX

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 06:02 pm:

I have made it a policy to not do product recommendations of the forum (well, hardly ever). There are plenty of people who will give an opinion about what gear they prefer, but I think there is too much to consider before anyone can tell you what you should even look at. I remember reading about a ML forum. If you can find that, I'd start by reading what other people are using. Though I have nothing against the used market at all (much of what I own was purchased used), give your local dealer a shot. Good local dealers are going to be a vanishing breed with the ascendance of the internet unless they get some support from the audiophiles they were created to serve.

--------------------------------------------------------

Holy toledo 3214 posts in an hour and a half!
Whoo that is puttin the pedal to the medal.
He should get solid gold member for those actions!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3264

I'm still favoring a nice hat, that's all I require. Well, that and some BandAids for my typing finger.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
We are talking about a cat, aren't we? Guilty? Oh, Anthropomorphism, what a cruel mistress you are!

LOL! I suppose my comments could be wide open to interpretation. However, yes, disappointing as it may be to some of you, we are talking about a cat. My kitten, Athena, found a hiding place which I cannot find and stayed in it for 2 hours while I frantically searched the house...and the closets...and the cabinets....and the crawlspace...and the backyard...and the neighbors.... Interrupted my listening session as well as threw my shopping plans behind schedule. Damn cat.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3265

1814 - Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, inventor of the guillotine dies. He was a pain in the neck, anyway.

1892: Death of U.S. poet laureate Walt Whitman. "To states everywhere, resist much; obey little."

1937 - In Crystal City, Texas, spinach growers erect a statue of the cartoon character Popeye

1942: Birth of Aretha Franklin.

1954: RCA manufactures the first color television set.

1955: U.S. Customs confiscate 520 copies of Allen Ginsberg's "Howl" as they enter the U.S. It will then be published by City Lights publishers in San Francisco, leading to the arrest of publisher (and prominent poet) Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Customs also seized and destroyed another shipment of Ginsberg's poetry sent from Canada in the 60s.

1956: At the conclusion of Alan Freed's 3-day Rock 'n' Roll Show at the Stage Theater in Hartford, Connecticut, police arrest 11 teens and pull the theater's license to operate. Hartford Institute of Living psychiatrist Dr. Francis J. Braceland to testify at license hearings that rock and roll is: "a communicable disease with music appealing to adolescent insecurity and driving teenagers to do outlandish things...It's cannibalistic and tribalistic."

1969: The newly wed John Lennon and Yoko Ono begin their famous "bed-in for peace" at the Amsterdam Hilton.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3266

"My kitten, Athena, found a hiding place which I cannot find and stayed in it for 2 hours while I frantically searched the house ... "

My suggestion - no reporting this to PETA - close her in a room with mid fi equipment playing. That'll teach her to appreciate what she has.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
Larry,

Now that the Maggies are truly getting "broken in," do you hear any difference? I know the B&Ws smoothed out after a couple hundred hours - not before.

And oh, yes! Don't you dare cover up that blue light! (double grin) If you've read about Rick's BLs, you know he'd be down there in a minute to "deal with you" for being anti-BL!

It's difficult to say because I've changed so many things. The Maggies sounded wonderful from the first night I connected them. It only took a couple of hours to realize, I had found my speaker nirvana. After 2 weeks, I switched to the HD cable which added more enhancements. Two weeks after that, the Onix arrived and made its glorious impact. So, any "blooming" at this point, could be the result of any or all of those things, I suppose.

Took the cage off the amp last night to expose the tubes. That blue light is still annoying. At some point, I'm going to figure out a way to soften it or maybe even replace it. But, that's low on the list of priorities.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2912
"All? Best? Oh, John, there you go again."

Sorry. Let's say "most". And "best" is a personal preference, as always. No, I have not heard a Thiel loudspeaker. But SM angles the Maggies in, as we see, for listening. I assume we mostly prefer the full frequency range, where possible. But if one disconnects the tweeter....

As regards lights, I dislike them all, and have some cardboard to rest against the front panels of the amp, tuner and DVD player. Unfortunately, it cuts out the action of the remote. A far-red-pass filter would let it through, probably. Blue annoys me particularly, I don't know why. A piece of black tape over the light would do just as well, and still let the IR sensor still see the remote.

I found the newly-rebuilt Quads needed no breaking in. Like Maggies, I think, they have no coils to loosen up. Incidentally, Jan, the Quads amply illustrate your point, made ages ago, that the stereo sound stage can be wider than the distance between the speakers.

Rick, your posts have been golden since day one. We must have a celebration ready when you start the second millennium.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 852
And that's when the vase shattered. But let me explain.

It all started when we turned on the Prairie Home Companion radio show - which featured a repeat broadcast with the Minnesota Symphony. Fine, so far.

But as we got into the show, Mer said that she really liked the fact that the subwoofer brought out a part of the music she particularly liked.

OK - she's a "bass freak." Yep. No doubt about it. She is IN LOVE with the Mordaunt-Short sub. Sigh.

Anyway, she asked me about crossover points, and I explained, and then she wanted the point set up to 120, rather than 80. I did it. Reluctantly.

It was OK until the orchestra started to play the overture to "Die Meistersinger," Wagner at one of his better outings. Lots of music. Lots of bass.

Well, Mer said she wanted to hear more bass, and asked if that were possible. I (in a moment of mind-weakness) said: "sure, Mer, there's a little knob on the back, right next to the switch with the red and green lights." Hmmm. . .

Well, she went over to the sub and turned up the switch - to full volume. Big mistake.

The orchestra got into the music, and the sound got louder and boomier, and all of a sudden there was this awful shattering sound. My world stopped, but hers continued as she really vegged out with her beloved bass sound. Sigh.

When the music stopped, I went over and found the source of the "shattering sound." A very expensive crystal vase - a present to us from some wealthy friends - had been vibrated off its shelf and had crashed into a small sculpture on the table below. Not any way to repair it. A thousand pieces. Estimated price of the vase - oh, about $3,000. No, we didn't pay for it - but now I don't know how to explain to the giver what happened - if they show up for a visit, that is!!! This is one time I hope they stay away!!!

Sigh - I can't seem to get through to my super-bright wife that thumpy, boomy bass is NOT "normal." She loves it - maybe she was entranced by a boom-box at birth? Who knows?

Anyway - I've swept up the glass shards, turned DOWN the subwoofer, and told Mer that the music will be more balanced from now on. Period. End of discussion. No chance of re-thinking. Nope. NO!!!

Well, that was my evening - and now I'm hiding in the den while Mer channels through all of her beloved TV stations. Sigh. A vast wasteland, for sure! But there's no subwoofer!!! (heh, heh, heh)

John A. - sorry, my friend, but you are one of the "unfortunate ones" if you cannot abide the wunnerful world of Blue Lites! How sad for you, to be missing one of life's little pleasures. I know there's nothing I can say to persuade you to change your attitude, so all I can say is "I'm really sorry for you." Pity. Maybe Rick, in his persuasive best, can turn you around?

Away to some reading - I've about had it with music for one day!

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3267

SM - I have used some blue gel lighting filters to place over the lights on my HT receiver. They will darken the color and reduce the intensity of the lights. I will gladly send you a few samples if you wish to try the idea. You can also go to a good camera shop and look at the lens filters they have available.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3268

If the bothersome blue light is the small lamp above the volume control, go to an art supply shop and find an artist's marking pen in the color of your choice. Obviously you cannot change the light to yellow or red by using a marking pen, but you can eliminate much of the annoying blue. I simply took a Sharpie to the power indicators on my HT system. It leaves a ring around the edge of the indicator that lets you know light is on, but dramatically cuts down on the amount of light.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2336
I was going to ask if anyone had any "tweaks" for the blue light issue!

As I know what sm is talking about, for some reason when the "blue" lights
are to bright they can be eye pearcing where other colors don't seem to be.
When I put the blue lights in my equipment I have the advantage of a dropping resistor.
But not everyone is going to change a resistor nor should they to tame the light.

Anyone have any other ideas as I love the blue lights but feel the need to tame some!

Great ideas Jan, any others if you like the light but want to lessen it?
I have a blue sharpie that I may try to see if it keeps some of the brightness down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
The sharpie idea sounds like an easy tweak. I want to see the glow of the tubes and that blue light is just too bright. I will say, I miss the Mac's nighttime face in my living room. :-) I might try a black sharpie.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 974
Jan,

Putting the cat in a room with a mid-fi system? Don't we have a constitutional amendment against cruel and unusual punishment? PETA would not be happy. They are still pissed about that little dance thing with the chicken..........

Gold Member

Post Number: 2914
Not sure if we are still recommending movies, but 28 Days Later... (2002). Chilling, plausible (well, more than most sci-fi). Some beautiful shots of a great city. After the outbreak... I see it is longer and called "29 Days Later" in US, I do not know why that is. Some moral points to consider, if one likes. Recommended to "animal libertionists". Not for the squeamish. Gripping stuff.

All I can think of to connect with the above is blue lights. As on police cars, ambulances, etc. Very weak link, I admit... (smiley set of asci characters here).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3270

OK, John, I've put "libertionist" in my dictionary and it spit out, "Huh?" Please explain to us Yanks what a "libertionist" is or does.

Speaking of chicken dances, it's full moon time again. It's a bit chilly and drizzling rain so I hope no one has any specific requests.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2916
Sorry, Jan, "liberationist"!

Nothing in that movie about cats and dogs, pet lovers! (There are some good Doppler effects, though, Jan, espcially near the end. Surround helps....!)

Friends, I did it: made a new thread. Under Home Audio; Speakers:

Quad Electrostatic Loudspeaker 63.

Not sure how that will go down.

I am not receiving notification e-mails. Probably need to clear out the in-box. Apologies for being out of the loop.

Full moon? Does anyone here care that Easter Sunday is fixed as the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox? They cut it a bit fine this year. It would be difficult to make it earlier. You can't do all the pag_n stuff at Easter, Jan. Show some repect. What with his holiness being in bad shape and all.

Chilly and drizzling rain? In Dallas? Here it is sun, bursting buds, daffodils, new-born lambs and piglets on the urban farm, lengthing days, and The Boat Race. We now have family loyalty for light blue. I always found it hard to take sides, before.

What a super place to live.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1606
Full moon, many a loon!

So here's Jan, ready to do the chicken dance or anything else you ask - no kidding!

http://www.subservientchicken.com/

You'll soon discover Jan can be a lot of fun in his chicken suit.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 975
Jan,

Just pull on your wool socks, and keep the dance short.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 976
Happy Easter to Christians everywhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2917
The Boat Race is now very close to US-style professional college sport: sponsorship; advertising, team members who are full-time athletes with no obvious connection with the place they row for.

Light blue came second by a length or more. Of course, we have to remember it is not the winning, but the game itself....

Hey Rick, what about the rest of us...?

[I thought you were not supposed to say things like that in US, of all places; I was reproached by everyone for saying "Happy Christmas". Could never see the problem. If you don't recognise the basis of the festival, it is still a good wish....]

But Happy Easter, in return, if I may, to you, Rick, and to all here.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 977
John,

Thank you John. I have never worried about being PC. I was just sincerely acknowledging the holiday. The last time I saw the polls, there were still a lot of Christians in the world. LOL!
Heck, if a Buddist can acknowledge a Christian, and a Christian a Muslim, and a Muslim a Jew, who knows what can happen. I will stop here. I'm starting to sound very left wing, and Jan has a big smile on his face.

I'll just leave you with this thought. My daughter put her eggs from her Easter hunt, next to her laughing Buddha. Not bad from a little Jewish girl from New York.

Peace and music to all!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3272

John - I have danced nekked for the sake of the Pope, and he got out of the hospital. So he's OK in my book for now. The Pagan stuff has to get credit for some things that happen. If nothing else, a lot of Wiccans got soused on herbal concoctions out in the woods the other night, fell asleep under a tree with their favorite fairy and the D.W.I. rate dipped for a night.

How about we all celebrate the Resurrection? The trees are beginning to bud out. The flowers are out and the asparagus is coming up through the soil. The Spring tomatoes are in the ground and growing. Mother Nature has renewed herself one more time here in the Northern Hemisphere. Now if only those damn Republicans will stop stomping on her every chance they get.

Rantz - What can I say? Some people look for pictures of rooms with nice hifi's in them. You look for rooms with people in chicken suits. I'm not sure what to worry about the most. That you thought to look for that site, or that you knew where to find it. Though not quite appropriate for the nekked chicken dance in the full moon light, it is amazing stuff. It reminds me of a party back in my college days. The garters are over the top. Judging from the ankle bracelet, can I assume this is Martha Stewart's new rules for house arrest?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1608
J.V.

The link may have been inappropriate for nakked chicken dancers, but I tend to save interesting links, jokes, humorous videos or recordings that friends send to me so I can pass them along to share with others. I certainly don't go looking for them for the sake of adding something to this forum. There is enough funnystrangeridiculouswierd shite on here to last me lifetime.

Like stereo, tubes, planar speakers and multi-denominational political correct posters.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2342
I'm niether democrat,republican,liberal or affiliated to any party.

I just vote for the least of the idiots lately!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1609
Kegger,

I appreciate your votes LOL!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 980
I'll vote for that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2920
Thanks, RIck. All strength to the Barneses and especially that marvellous daughter. A sense of awe and mystery is something to cherish, and should never leave us. Our 6-yr old's argument for believing is "because there has to be a reason for everything". I treat that with respect. Seems to me it as as good as anything from St Thomas Aquinus and such guys.

KEGGER,

"I just vote for the least of the idiots lately!"

For me, personally, that eliminates politicians. That's the trap that I'm in.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2343
John I know what you mean with that last comment for sure, no dought!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1611
Larry

Sorry to hear about your crystal vase. You could always use the excuse that when playing your favourite opera recording with your 705's, Mer got so carried away as she joined in, she found a high note she never thought possible and shattered the vase.

BTW - it might be time to tell Mer that low frequency sound waves could destroy cities [grin].

Insurance?

Pleased to read that you're back into the music again with the replacement Yamaha. Hope this one lasts the distance.

As for the blue lights - our (now replaced) Luxman DVD player had a very bright, distracting 'on' light but was soon toned back with a little nail polish.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2924
Thanks, Kegger. Maybe there are some good ones, but it is hard to tell. They all seem to want power. I heard a phrase somewhere once, "I wish I was as certain of anything as ____ is of everything".

OK, let's vote for MR. We can try not to worry about the nail polish.... :]) (I can never do those things).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1612
John

You mean you don't don a little nail polish and maybe some lip gloss occassionally? How disappointing!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 857
MR - interesting story-end with the vase. After the "incident," I asked Mer how she felt about losing such an expensive present. Hmmm. . .here goes.

When our friends gave us the vase (a moving-away present from them) the woman, named Jan, told me pointedly that it was a special "Orrefors" crystal vase, and they had bought it for us for $3,000. Wellll, I gulped, and thanked her profusely, saying the usual "it's too expensive" stuff.

A year after our "departing party" the couple came out to Colorado to visit us. Apparently, Mer said something to him about "such an expensive" present, and that we'd taken extra-good care of it. I never heard about the conversation - until the morning after the vase fell off the shelf and smashed.

When I expressed great alarm to Mer about our "$3,000 present," she began to laugh. At first, I got angry, but then she told me what Vick had told her several years ago.

Seems "the wife" is very image-conscious, and said that the vase cost $3,000 - when, in truth, it cost $700. "Huh?" I said to Mer. . .and she apologized for never telling me, she just forgot about it.

Anyway - IF we see Vick and Jan again, we'll have to tell them that there was an accident - and see what they have to say about it then! Will they fess up about the cost? Will the woman be embarrassed? Will the man repeat what he told Mer before? will a hurricane hit our house this year?

Life in Swampville is pretty dull most of the time, but when the vase falls. . . . aha!! (grin)

You suppose anybody out in Hollywood would see that as a good movie plot? On second thought. . .

And no, we don't have it as a separate rider on our insurance. We could file, I suppose, and will ask our agent about it. But setting the worth is now a bit dicey, don't you think?

Our "regular" artwork is all on a separate rider, because it's worth more than all of our household goods put together. The vase falls (bad pun) under the general household coverage, as we've never line-listed it. We'll see. . .

Jan V. - very disappointed in the RCA re-issue of Saint-Saens' "Organ Symphony." See Discoveries, please. . . hope the other Living Stereo stuff is better than that.

SM - I'll e-mail you. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 858
PS on the vase-story. Now that we think about it, we're not sure that the vase even cost $700! All we know is that it was very good crystal! So, whom do we believe? (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 859
2C - did you get my private message(s) sir? Hope so.

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

ON

Post Number: 274
Larry,

Is the 'expensive' vase from the Wan-Tai dynasty?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 861
Don: Very good - nope, it WAS Orrefors crystal, and as such came from way, way across the world from your "dynasty" site! (double grin)

These dayz, gets harder and harder to tell the originals from the copies, though!

STay warm. . .

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

ON

Post Number: 275
Made in Tai-Wan

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1614
Larry

If it was a vase (vars - as in cars) it was most likely worth the $700. If it was a vase (as in mace) it's probably much, much cheaper.

See - you guys say to-mate-o and we say to-mar-toe [grin]

Our english sounds more expensive don't you think?

I'll take the plum out now if you like [laughing].

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 862
MR - "Vars?" Hmmm. . .learning new thangs ev-day on this-here for-um! Yes, your English does sound more expensive than what passes for "English" here in Ameruka. And the way things are going, "English" will be a second language shortly. Sigh.

Plums out! (double grin) Pebbles are OK, though they tend to cause pain.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2346
JOHN: Don't know if your interested but it looks like it's on your side of the world.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1115419035

Gold Member

Post Number: 2925
MR I think they pronounce it "vays" as in "ways". OR "vaize".

KEGGER, Hey, thanks! That is a good price; the arm alone costs about that. I have no time and do not think I can tangle with trading just now, and also I need to get the rest of my gear. But thanks for the tip.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 531
Larry, I got your messages. Thanks. Sent you a reply.

Kegger, are you personally look for a turntable? If you love the sound of tubes, you'll love the sound of vinyl. It does take some commitment. I've heard caring for and playing records compared to a Japanese tea ceremony. I thought that was pretty funny and accurate in a way.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Post Number: 56
Larry R

I am amazed from the story about the sub, Wagner Meistersinger and the vase.
I read once an article about the myth and truth of the stories about great opera singers that could shutter a glass with their voice. After many experiments with different loudspeakers the researchers came to conclusion that it is possible at about 110dB amplification with two speakers aimed toward the glass.
As for human voice they suspected that the glasses broken by the singers were of low grade or even cracked.
Remember my objection to the sub? I am afraid that sub is a reason to many problems and endless experiments to adjust and control. On the other side I visited the IPO that played Mahler 5 symphony and I was thinking that no stereo or surround system can deliver the real sound of the concert hall, sub can help a little but in many cases it is not natural and sometimes it cause $3000 damage.
We just bought Tannoy Saturn8 speakers for our opera club. They are big and I assume they have internal woofer for heavy bass and do not need a sub. I would not like speakers as big as these to be inside my home.

Simply McIntosh

I must admit that I can't follow the speed you change items at your stereo system. You had amount of upgrades in one year that I and I think other members did not do in 15 years.
Anyhow I agree that most of the changes were a nice upgrading. An audiophile injected friend told me that when you hear a loudspeaker you know immediately if this is your speaker. I am afraid that a long breaking period for a speaker is another myth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Hello Asimo!

Good to hear from you! I hope my upgrades slow down now. lol. I do love the listening experience with the MMG speakers and expect to keep them for a long time - unless I don't work out a solution to pair them with a sub. In that case, I may go ahead and upgrade to a bigger pair of maggies that extend farther down into the bass region. A decision will be made sometime in the next couple of months. Outside of that and possibly some experimentation with tube rolling, I think my purchasing days are mostly over. I hope. lol.

Did anything ever come of the MC1700 for you? I know it had been put on hold for awhile.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 863
2C - thanks - got it - dealt with it. Sure wish I had your music collection! Well, come to think of it, I once had nearly 2,000 - then there was this insane idea about "chucking it" and living on a sailboat. . . Yes, my friend, you're dealing with a person who lacks a few marbles! (grin)

Asimo! How great to "hear your voice" again! Long time no posts. The subwoofer situation is back in hand - and I doubt there will be a repeat. Given the quantity of wine Mer had, uh, "gulped" that night, it's amazing she was even able to turn the knob! (double grin) Next morning she said her head felt about like the vase. Yep. . .

I'm just sitting here waiting to see what stereo gear SM gets rid of next - you never know, I might get a bargain! (grin)

And a fine, music-filled day to all. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 864
PS to Asimo: the glasses that have been broken in many demos are high-grade, not low-grade. Has to do with built-in stress in glass that has a high lead content, so I've been told.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1616
John A

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2927
I did not mean to correct you, MR! Anything goes. I have heard "vorze" and "varze" in UK. My own English pronunciation is in a continual state of confusion. Having escaped, I can also suggest to Larry that the name of the maker is pronounced something like "Orreh-forsh" over where it comes from. With trilled "rr". OK, I know; "get a life"!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
John A

I forgot the [grin] mate! You didn't upset me, was joshing you. Now, are you going to tell us about the new LCD TV?

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
Larry,

LOL! If you had my music collection, 75% of it would end up at the local library or thrift shop.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 866
John A. - Glad you've heard of the "brand." This is the second time I've lost a good piece of their excellent crystal - first time was a divorce, which hurt much more than the subwoofer assault! (grin)

Two Cents - hmmm - I doubt that's the case, but to each his/her own, I guess! Mer and I have moved to many times, and have gotten rid of so much "excess baggage" that what we have left is a mere shadow of our former selves. (grin)

guests (good friends) came over for dinner tonight, and we were talking about home furnishings and what is special to people. Mer and I explained to them (again) that our home is rather sparsely furnished - not because we have a small budget (although that's a big part of it!) but because we have the overwhelming feeling that another move is imminent, and that the more things we have, the more we have to pack up! (grin??)

No, we're not moving. But heck, you never know! And actually we feel most comfortable with the old saying: "have a few good things." The key word there, of course, is "good." And after 53 moves in my lifetime, and 38 for Mer, well, we're finally learning to live by that saying.

G-nite, and good music all. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2928
MR,

Thanks. I am well and truly joshed.

"Now, are you going to tell us about the new LCD TV?"

Nope. Not even after it has been delivered, estimated to be tomorrow. I suspect this is another attempted joshing.

Larry,

Sorry to hear of the misfortune that attends Orrefors crystal. In your place I would be inclined not to get a third piece....

I agree with "have a few good things", and have failed totally to live by this precept, which is incompatible with family life for all except the really rich, I think. I feel apologetic buying Quad ESLs and then have to spend a similar sum on some cr•p flavour-of-the month flat panel LCD TV with an absurd name, which brings Big Brother into our home and will not even be good for that in a year or two. The first dead pixel, and it goes the way of your vase. MR's Richter Krakatoa sounds just the thing. One could surely break a lot of TVs, or Swedish glass, with that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1619
John A

No, I josh you not, my friend. I would like to know about the new telly. The FP display of ours is the best thing since sliced bread imo and hers (and knock on wood etc). In fact it sits defiant on a glass shelved stand adjacent to the Krakatoa which I swear will one day bring the roof down if we are brave enough to watch any more Jurassic Park movies (Mrs Rantz has a thing for tyrannosaurus rex's roaring through the neighborhood) - that and helicopters!. For a little 100 watt sub it does, as they say on this forum, really kick butt! I guess a 300 wt digital amp gets set up differently, ours is set at full volume and crossover - allowing the receiver and universal player's crossover and LFE to control the sub's output. I rarely have touch it for movies or music.

BTW - whatever you do, don't let Big Brother into your home. Your kids will never be the same again.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Post Number: 57
SM

On second thought I must say that I like very much your reports and reviews about the various Hi-Fi or more correct Hi-end audio equipment assembled and tested at your place. They are even better than many professional reviews on the magazines and they are not influenced as I suspected sometimes in the commercial magazines. So keep on upgrading and we shall have unbiased reviews.
I am also happy to know that there is one woman someplace who likes music and audio and knows all the audio codes and terms.
As for McIntosh, the one that I found was MAC 1700 receiver from about 1960.
I still look for a younger one but now since you changed to ONIX tube and found it par or even better than the MAC I think I will look at the tubes options. My SONUS FABER speakers supposed to work better with tubes according to some audio reviews.
We have JOLIDA and KORA tube amplifiers sell locally at a reasonable price. There are some more second hand sophisticated tube amplifiers but they are hard to find like the MAC. I also prefer an amplifier with remote control. Not many tubes amplifiers have this option.
I now wait for your unbiased report about the ONIX to find if you like the tube better than the MAC

Larry R others

Do you remember the long and exhausting discussion about stereo vs multi channels?
A week ago I heard the 5th mahler symphony at the big concert hall of IPO. I was unhappy to find that sound of the big tuba and contrabass are not faithfully represented by my stereo.
A member of the opera group just bought huge Montana $8000 speakers He said that his system does the tuba, contrabass and also bass bassoon correct in stereo and better in multi channels mode. He invited me to listen and I will report my impression soon.
On the opera club we had the first time a baroque opera, Handel "Giulio Cesare" It was a great success. Baroque operas are back on the operas repertoire after about 300 years. We are planning Vivaldi and Monteverdi operas as well.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 872
Asimo: Mer and I were discussing the huge difference in "live" opera performances and the sort of "puny" reproduction we get at home. Yes, I know the feeling about not truly hearing the low-tone instruments - or at least not hearing them as well or accurately as in the concert hall. I doubt that it is possible to recreate that sound without a house-full of equipment - much like what our good friend Kegger has! (grin)

A long, long time ago a friend of mine and I put together a rudimentary hi-fi (before stereo) system in the basement of his home. for speakers he hooked up two giant "Klipschorns" - one in each corner of the room. Now remember that this was mono, so we were getting a huge assault from these monsters.

He played some music, and for the first time I felt as though I was IN the performance hall. I've never quite experienced that realism since, though I've heard some incredible systems.

Jan and others on the forum have pretty much drilled into me that I cannot expect miracles in my large, open listening room without getting larger speakers, and doing some sound-treatments. Your friend's Montana speakers must come close (or exceed?) the old Klipschorns - and I look forward to reading your response to them!

Yes, I understand the Baroque operas are "in vogue" once more - and glad I am of it. Not everybody's cup of tea, for sure, but then neither is "Peter Grimes!" As in, "ouch!"

glad you're back among us, Asimo - we need all the voices of reason we can get! (grin)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2347
Two Cents did you get my email from the forum?

If not when you get a chance email me? No hurry, just a quick chat!

-----------------------------------------

Larry are you trying to say I have a lot of equipment or that my equipment is big?

, ><((((º>~;,,

(())(())
(= '.'=)
("")(""))oo'

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 875
Kegger: Yes, and yes! (triple grin here)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 876
John A. - now that you're the "proud" owner of one of those new-fangled T & V sets, do you plan on changing your sign-on name from John A. to "John LCD?" You know, like Don did with his beloved contraption. (grin)

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
Kegger and Larry,

I got your messages, but my replies didn't get through apparently. I'll try again later.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2933
Larry,

"do you plan on changing your sign-on name from John A. to "John LCD?" "

Nope. It is 27" and has a low Husband Acceptance Factor. I am working on it. It makes the Quad ESLs seem reasonably sized. That is the main thing I notice.

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1620
John,

Low HAF displays are rare here in OZ. Wives are allowed to wear slacks but pants - never!

[grin]

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 878
John LCD, uh, sorry, "A." - (whew!) The good thing about your larger TV set is that it does diminish the room-filling qualities of the Quads, as you so wisely pointed out, and thus mitigates several possible WAF complaints. Look at the TV as a "window on the world," with all the possibilities for knowledge, entertainment, self-improvement. . ." See? It is good. TV is good. Sometimes. . .

My Rantz - you live in a strange place, indeed, sir! (grin)

Makes me want to break out in a chorus of "Tie me Wallabee down, boys, tie me Wallabee down!"

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 879
Two Cents - I can understand your messages not getting through to me - the humidity's very high now, and the copper wires keep shorting out. . .

Crystal sets don't work worth a damn, either!

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1621
Larry

I think you mean kangawoo sport [grin]. About wives and pants - truth is they wear them here in OZ as much as anywhere. Alas!

So we're not so strange - just a bit odd.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 986
Jan,

Do you think you could do that dance, one more time? Thanks.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 881
My Rantz: As usual, sir, you are correct - though I swear I've heard the song sung the way I originally quoted it. Prob-lee in a bar. . . hmm.

FYI the rest of you -
- - - - - - - - -

TIE ME KANGAROO DOWN
(Rolf Harris)

Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down
Tie me kangaroo down, sport,
Tie me kangaroo down,

Watch me wallaby's feed, mate,
Watch me wallaby's feed.
They're a dangerous breed, mate,
So watch me wallaby's feed.

Keep me cockatoo cool, Curl,
Keep me cockatoo cool.
Don't go acting the fool, Curl,
Just keep me cockatoo cool.

Watch me platypus duck, Bill
Watch me platypus duck,
Don't let 'im run amuck, Bill
Watch me platypus duck.

Play me digeridoo, Blue
Play me digeridoo
Keep playin' it till I shoot through, Blue
Play me digireedoo

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred
Tan me hide when I'm dead
So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde
And that's him, hangin' on the shed.
GM
@Australia @animal @kids
filename[ KANGDOWN
TUNE FILE: KANGDOWN

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2934
Rick,

I think it's too late.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3290

"Jan, do you think you could do that dance, one more time?"

For the record. Requests for the dancing nekked in the moon light are taken on the first day of the week preceding the fullness of the astral globe. Unless that falls on a Friday. There are NO dances that will occur during the pale moonlight. No exceptions!

There are special exceptions made for dances during the dark of the moon, but they are not performed nekked. What's the point? Costuming for those events is on a rotational basis. (No large chicken suits with garters, Rantz. What's the point?) Any requests for specifc costume items must be submitted in triplicate, in advance. Bids will be taken and low bid will win the contract. (I wish someone would change that rule. I've had stuff falling off during the performance from being low bid crap.)

Items to be swung over my head are optional and can only be guaranteed if a neighborhood salvage hunt can secure the item without me being arrested for trespassing.

Requested words used during the ceremony must be verified by a federal circuit judge and are subject to the apppeal process.

As you can all see by now - this ain't easy, folks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
I'm getting drunk tonight. Yep. This is going to be a drink til you puke night.

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1631
SM

You'll be sorry in the morning!

John

No comment on the 'pants' thing? Okay, okay, I guess that was below the belt.

Jan

See what happened to this forum since you did the nakked dance in the moonlight. I think you need to do the undance - and soon.

Larry

I didn't think they let that song escape from OZ. Rolf has a lot to answer for.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2349
SimplyMcIntosh :

"I'm getting drunk tonight. Yep. This is going to be a drink til you puke night"

Yu gotta love that girl!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 882
Kegger: - but, sir, will you respect her in the morning? (grin) Be honest!!!!

MR - more escapes from there than you might think, sir! We've gotta get kulture somewhere, don't we? And here in Ameruka, there's less and less of it. We count on you and John A. to keep the upside flowing our way! If possible.

BTW - "Ray" - we watched it on DVD last night. Very good acting, interesting sound track with, uh, "selective" surround - comes and goes. Highly recommend it - but am interested in your opinions on the ending! Strange. . .IMHO.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3297

By ending, do you mean how the film just skipped almost thirty years in his life?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2935
SM, binge drinking is no way to go. "A little and often" is much better. Take it easy.

MR, I think women are wearing the trousers more and more. And they are not any the happier. Personally I blame Mizz Greer, who is a case in point, and is listed as "grumpy old woman" No. 1 in UK. All strengh if Oz will be the last to go. Are you sure you don't want her back?

"Tie me kangaroo down" was a number one, I think, in UK. Or at least in the top ten. It is on "Hello children everywhere" (EMI) which I recommend to you, warmly.

Not posting much. Have ADSL at home, finally. Much better.

Here is an "Old Dog" question, following my setting-up this horrible TV.

What happened to the test card?

How do you know which settings to choose for contract, brightness, colour, hue, sharpness, etc., if you have no point of reference? Each channel broadcasts continually, and seems to have its own take on the meaning of "lurid". Lord, I hate TVs.

I saw an advertising slogan for a Sony digital camera. "Don't think - shoot!"

People today seem to expect technology to be able to read their minds. Perhaps it will eventually. That'll serve them right.

How old I feel.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2936
MR,

We, too, have a glass stand. Assembled it myself. How to bring any sitting room irredeemably down market. Lord, I hate TVs. And that's even before you consider what's being broadcast. Grump. Harrumph.

BTW the TV has the most piercing light: red for standby; green for on. Blue would be more than I could live with. I have put three layers of tape over it, but it is not enough. It proves the designers of this TV set wanted people to look at the TV, not what was on the screen. I wonder it they knew about "glare". Same as hifi; people buy the medium as an end in itself, not for its ability to deliver the content. "Obstrusive" seems to be a selling point these days. Grump. Harrumph.

MR, may I borrow your Krakatoa?

I envisage it with a long lead and a detonator; one of those T-shaped things people use to lean on to blow things up in silent movies.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2937
"Contract" should be "contrast". I may have ADSL but still cannot type. Anyone point me to the difference between "colour" and "hue"? With no test card, I will never discover it for myself.

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1632
John

Sorry, too late! I have already put a 'contract' out on your TV. My goodness man, what did you buy. We couldn't be happier with our low-end plasma. Took it out of carton, connected the leads, tuned in the stations and that was it. No disturbing lights, great picture, and no wuckin furries ever since as they say.

Can't you play around with the contrast, brightness, hue etc and take it back to default if you can't get the desired picture?

Never mind, Agent Krakatoa will cover his assigment in due course and put you out of your misery. I'm sorry you are not a happy viewer.

BTW - colour/hue: eg; red = colour, lighter red = hue. That's my take.

Re: Tie me kanga down - I thought we gave that one life imprisonment - [grin]

Anyway cheer up John - go buy yourself a projector!

Oh, and for Eric's sake, do not send Ms Greer back down under - 'cause the women will go and the men will chunder. And won't chu hear, won't chu hear the thunder!

We may not own it anymore but we wish to stay happy little vegemites!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 883
Jan - re the "Ray" movie - yeah, sum-ting like that, sir. I was left going "huh?"

MR - wuckin furries - my friend, you have added a phrase to my humble vocabulary - and I thank you from the bottom of my ice-cold heart! (grin) Luv it, luv it, luv it!!! Reminds me of a phrase that a motorcycle film-then-tape courier of ours used way back in my "working" days.

"Duckin' fummies" was what he called the, well, "dummies" of the world. And they are legion!!

He was a strange sort - had a Master's degree in journalism - but hated what he called the "phonism" in it, and bought a motorcycle. He worked as a courier for more than 20 years - carrying film, videotape, legal documents, etc. Last I knew he was headed for Texas, which I assume means that he'd finally lost his mind! (grin)

John A. - WE all feel sorry for your TV-plight, sir, and perhaps what you need to do is get one of your children to adjust the set. Most any kid over the age of 12 knows how to do it better than any adult! Really. . .

Just send up a "hue and cry" (ouch)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 884
SM - if you are in any shape to read this: a bl-oody mary and coffee - with scrambled eggs and buttered toast. Slowly, slowly. . .

We all hope you didn't really get sick-drunk. We luv you too much to see you in such pain!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2938
MR,

Thanks, Mate. I am reminded by your heartening post that I am part Australian.

The TV does not have a "default" setting. Out of the box, the colours were grotesque. I turned down "colour" and "hue" by arbitrary amounts, giving OK-ish colour on DVDs. Broadcast stations are all bad, whatever I do. It could be the signal. I need a test card.

Larry,

The children do not even seem to notice when 3:2 aspect ratio is stretched out to 16:9. People in display showrooms do not notice, either: just take a look.

MR, anyone,

Mrs A is currently reading a book called "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps". Every page has an anecdote about us. She laughs out loud and reads me chunks. I am sometimes listening. We seem to be at the extremes of male and female. Scary. Does Mrs Rantz turn the map upside-down when travelling South? SM - honestly, now...?

BTW returning to sound quality. The TV's sound is always turned off. If I flip it in in place of the Quad ESLs, it brings a while new meaning to the word "bad". It is refreshing to set the baseline occasionally.

It even has some sort of surround function and a line out for a sub. If you start with stereo like that, what can you expect?

"red = colour, lighter red = hue"

Thanks, but that does not quite click, for me. So "hue" is intensity of colour? If so, what is "colour"?

I'll be round to borrow the Krakatoa within a few days.

All the best.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2939
"while" should be "whole".

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
Well, I reconsidered the puking part and decided on moderation. Just enough to get a small buzz going but not enough to puke...or forget, which was supposed to have been the point of it all, anyway. Ah, what the hell...no wuckin' furries, as they say.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3300

John - Since I don't know the bucking frand of TV you purchased, and telling us what it is seems to be involved in national security (come on, John, we're all in the same war together. George, Tony and that bloke underneath the rest of the world share secrets. I doubt you'll be thrown into a cell in Egypt if you just give us a clue.) I shall give my best guess on how to set up your TV.

Setting the levels should be done in a darkened room. Any adjustment you make with daylight filtering into the room will be wrong when you watch at night. Go to the "Set Up" menu and you will probably have a series of basic set up options. Alternately you may have everything in a specific "Audio/Video Set Up" menu. Set all filters and enhancements such as "Black Level", "DNR" and "Edge Define" to their "Off" position. Make certain any automatic adjustments for light intensity are turned "Off".

"Color" refers to the intensity of the color; in other words, the saturation of the color. Most sets can have this turned down about three bumps of the control from the mid point or factory default. Use skin tones to judge the most appropriate setting to your eyes. "Hue" refers to the shift between more red and more green in the picture. If you own a Sony TV (how likely is that?), you should take this level down about five bumps on the scale from the mid point. Most other TV's have "Hue" set almost right and can benefit from only a slight reduction away from the red side of the scale.

Most TV's are set to show well in a showroom where they are meant to "jump out" at the customer just as cheap speakers are meant to "jump" when the customer is faced with a display with speakers on all four walls and in the ceiling too. Think Yamaha NS-10 speakers here. You want to take the "jump" out of the picture. Each adjustment here should be made by taking the control down to minimum and then bringing it back up until you find a satisfactory level. Once each control is set up this way, you come back and tweak the settings from there.

"Brightness" sets the black level and should be the first picture adjustment you make. It should be adjusted to a point around one third of its total value. You want to maintain detail in the shadows but not have a greyish tone to the darker areas. A newcaster's suit is almost always dark. Use this "test card" as a reference for setting levels for "Brightness", "Contrast" and "Sharpness". You want to get the line of the lapel on the suit to show (barely) while maintaining the color of the suit and not washing out the picture. "Contrast" is picture intensity. Just as "Color" refers to saturation, "Contrast" refers to the light level the picture has. This is a setting that is primarily used to get the jump factor on the showroom. Depending on the TV you purchased, this conrol may be at a midway setting from the factory or may be almost at its maximum setting. Either way you will want this to be lowered to almost a third of its total scale. Use the "Brightness" and "Contrast" settings to get the suit to look good. There should be enough "Contrast" to give the impression the newscaster is not reading in a dark room (they are reading from a top light and the front on light is lower in level) and enough "Brightness" to show the line of the lapel. The top light will give a nice outline to the shape of their head/hair and shoulders; get this outline set with the "Contrast" level. Then back each of these settings off a notch or two for the best overall level. "Sharpness" sets the white level (don't ask why). This is another "jump" control. Take the "Sharpness" down to about "15-20" on a scale of "100" being max. It doesn't matter what set you have, the "Sharpness" is cranked up way too high. Set "Film/Video" to "Film". Set the "Color Temp" to either "Low" or "Medium". "Low" is normally 6700k, and is considered the industry standard but may make the picture look too flat. DO NOT use the "High" setting for "Temp". If you have any custom settings for picture quality such as "Action", "Sports", "Cinema", etc., use what ever you consider the closest to normal or off on all these settings. If there is nothing that can be guessed to be "Standard", use the "Cinema" setting as it will give the closest to industry standards. Any other settings are specific to your TV and I can't guess at what they would be.

Most of the Pixar DVD's, and many of the blockbuster action films, have a THX set up menu included. You can use this to begin to get the TV closer to a decent picture. The adjustments are fairly simple and can be accomplished by anyone in a few minutes. There are specific discs that are used to set up TV's to an industry standard; they will probably need to be ordered from an internet source. In the US, the IFC is the ruling party when it comes to TV set up. You can hire someone to come out and set up your TV by using set up codes that are hidden in the menu and can only be accessed by a trained technician. Depending on your TV, some sets cannot even get to IFC standards, the picture may change radically. Most TV's that are set to IFC standards (and true THX for that matter) do not look good for everday TV viewing after the set up. The picture is too dark and lacks "jump" for the daily soaps. Hitachi, LG, JVC, mainline Pioneer and a few other lower end sets have the most changes to be made to their picture. Sony mainline, Sharp (LCD only), Philips and standard Mitsubishi are closer to correct out of the box. Top line Sony, Mitsubishi and Pioneer Elite come the closest to being correct out of the box.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 885
John A. - you make your case well, sir, for the stretched-out images on TV these days. Went over to friends' home the other evening - to see their new 42" TV - widescreen monster that was set ALL wrong. COLOR! BRIGHTNESS! And there they were - all of the nice people on TV, with heads that were half again as wide as high. I mentioned the fact, and the people just looked at me as though I'd told them they were wearing no pants. Can't they see this? I'm afraid the entire country is becoming cockeyed!!!

I offered to set up the TV for them, but I'm afraid I sorta insulted them, and they declined. Won't be going over there to watch TV, for sure!!

SM - thanks for e-mails and forum comments that you made it through the night unscathed and un-drunk. Sigh. Happy for that. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
JohnA,

I missed your earlier post. No, I don't turn the muckin fap upside down when driving south....is that a man-thing or a woman-thing? Thanks for the book recommendation. If it's laugh-out-loud funny, it must be good.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3302

John - If the images are not presented correctly on your set, use the "Format" switch to roll through the various options that usually include "WidescreeN", "16X9", Stretched", "Normal", etc.

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1633
John

"Does Mrs Rantz turn the map upside-down when travelling South?"

No, as we are from the land down under, she turns them downside up [grin]

SM

By all means drink up - but better to take John up on his book recommendation. Laughter is the best tuckin fonic - and it seems you could do with some. Cheer up - more corners ahead and you know what they say about the next one!

Larry

Glad to add something to your vocabulary. The four letter words seem to run rampant ike a virus in our country nowdays so it's rather easy to pick up the bug - swapping letters can save one from a guckin food whack upside the head from the ever morally vigilant better half.

Jan

Hue - I should have known that. It's in all animation and photoshop type programs I use. Duckin fummy I am at times. Quack!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 991
Fhat the Wuck is going on here?

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2352
Those darn bass turds giving John way to many adjustments just to muck up the screen!

I am so glad we have Jan here to give large detailed posts on how to do
things, that way I don't need to think or type!
(I hate doing both) Food Gucking job Jan!

So Sm you didn't get wucking faisted aye!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2940
We're just showing what shining wits we all are, Rick...

Jan,

Scanning through that wonderful post, and thank you, I think I have sort of done most of that, but I will go through it systematically. I remembered we had some THX discs somewhere, with a set-up screen, but could not remember which. I will check. As regards the newsreader's lapels etc, the thing will "freeze frame" even in broadcasts, so that's something.

We have a cr•p terrestrial analogue signal, no question. I do not think it is intensity, it is reflections off surrounding buildings etc. probably. Since we share one aerial/antenna I'll have to get to the "landlord" or whatever we have. I think I'd prefer to move, instead. We intend to do that, anyway. For me the TV is for watching movies on DVD, only. The one exception is the new "Dr. Who" which in my estimation is brilliant. Sorry, "wicked".

SM,

In the Northern hemisphere, at least, females usually turn the map, while males, who are driving, say "what the ____ are you doing with that map?" It is a book. Hilarious, says Mrs A. How did the authors know us so well? Absolute rule, we have survived two breaches, so we must be doing OK: Never, ever, even think of trying to teach your wife to drive. I realise this will not become a practical problem in your case.

Cheer up. I do recommend Dr Who. Will you ever get it over there? The second episode ends with destruction of the Earth, in five million years' time. And everyone is too busy to notice. It has some good jokes about all sorts of things. Much like Douglas Adams's HHGG; that is meant as a compliment. Jeez, the money they must have spent on special effects. Wonderfully dry stuff. Hope they like it down under.

Jan,

If you must know, it is two UK consumer electronics chains' "own brand" of 27" LCD. The badge say "Logik" which has no meaning, and is absurd, like the set itself. It has component video in, in addition to Euro-standard RGB "SCART". I have not tried component from the DVD-player yet. Have to get cables. Can anyone recommend.... (Smiley).

It sits between the Quads like a side order of fries with Coq au vin or some similar more classy dish (I know little of food - I read Larry's, Rick and your menus with shock and awe).

PS So "hue" minimum is green; maximum is red? One would try 50% in that case.

Sorry to take this in the direction of video, LCD and all that.

At least it has a detonator out for a Krakatoa.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2941
Thanks, Kegger. Yup, I think I did it without knowing. But Jan writes great stuff. I will study his post for directions, and also look for hidden references to chickens etc.

Sorry to poss crosts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us