Question about impedance setting

Bronze Member
Username: Ximen

Post Number: 11
My receiver has a impedance switch which has two option: 4-6ohm or 8ohm. The problem is that my system have different brand of speakers with different impedance. My main speakers are at 5ohm and others are at 8ohm. Whic impdedance I should set for the receiver? Does it have any effect on the sound? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 459
You'll probably want to match your fronts with the correct impedence. They're the big workhorses and you'll want them sounding their best. You're surrounds will still sound just fine after you set your impedence at a lower level.

Bronze Member
Username: Ximen

Post Number: 12
Will this damage other speakers? If I set receiver to 8ohm, what will happen to the main speakers?

Username: Voriand

Post Number: 7
Yes and no

Impedience switch is probably nothing more than a voltage regulator to protect the amp and reduce clipping on high current speakers.

At resonable volumes the speaker will have no problem as long as the signal is clean.

The receiver on the other hand may go into protect mode if it has one or just burn up if played for long periods at high volume.

Set the switch to 4-6 ohm or get a better quality amp.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 462
tao,
Setting the receiver to 8ohm wont hurt your front speakers. If anything, it's possible they wont sound as good. You can try both and experiment.

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 40
Paul is right set the receiver for the 8Ohm setting. If you set it to the 4-6 ohm setting the power supply in the receiver will limit it's output and may reduce your available volume before clipping by as much as 50%! If however you do this and the receiver clips or goes into protection mode with a moderately not exteme volume very often then it's time to reevaluate the situation and purchase a more powerful receiver or buy an easier to drive speaker set. The continued use under the above condition will result in damage to the receivers amp and/or damage to the speakers. E.Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 5
Leave your receiver at 8 ohms and read this.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/buyingguides/avhardware/receivers.php#impeda nce_selector
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us