Which Receiver For PSB SPeakers?

Username: Jiggad369

Post Number: 6
SUp everybody. I just bought some speakers for my new upgrade-ing HT. They are the Image Series from PSB.

Front: 4T
Center: 8C
Surrounds: 1B

I'm planning on buying Marantz SR5500 or SR7400. I don't have much experience with either PSB or marantz but what do you guys think will be the best match for the PSB? I've heard alot of good reviews about the Marantz and I've auditioned the SR7500 and it sounded nice. But I'll go with any brand that will bring the best out of these speakers for around $600-$700. thanx.

Post Number: 7
And oh yea...I'm 60% music and 40% movies/tv.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 130
I think you will be happy with Marantz. In the price range you have indicated I believe Marantz offers the best music performance and at least equal movie performance. The SR5500 offers alot of performance and features for the money. I use the SR5400 as a processor and to power my center and rears and am quite happy with it.

Post Number: 8
Right now, i have the option to get the SR5500, SR7400, or SR8400 for my budget. Which one do you guys think will do the best justice?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 131
If you can get them at the same price by all means get the best (SR8400). If there is a significant difference in price then the SR5500 is more than up to the task of running those speakers. It should sound very good. Excellent speaker choice. Happy listening.

Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 10
I have a Marantz 5400 and love it. In a couple of years I'll probably add a separate amp to it but right now it's awesome for music.

I agree with Arthur, get the highest model you can afford.

However you didn't mention if you have a sub; if you don't then I would go with the 5500 (I think hifi.com has it for $600 shipped) and put the savings into a good quality musical sub like a Hsu or SVS, $400-600. If you don't mind refurb you can also look at accessories4less.com they are a Marantz direct authorized refurb retailer.

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 59
NAD and PSB share a parent company.

The two complement one another very nicely, or so I've heard.

Post Number: 9
ya, i've also heard the same thing (both being owned by the same parent company). but i've haven't too many good reviews on the NAD receivers nor have i auditoned them. Marantz receivers are the only ones i've auditioned because of the rave reviews on the musical performace. And the reason i chose Marantz is because all of the reviews on PSB say that they produce sound very accurately.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Dru,

if I were in your shoes I'd jump ALL OVER this:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10341805

It doesn't specify if it's brand new or refurb so I might check into that but even if it's refurb that is a jaw-dropping price for that model!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
oops never mind, they just closed that auction. Sorry!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
wait, they put it back on just at a higher price:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=800297126

I know $800 is a little above your budget but this receiver normally goes for $1500 ONLINE.

Geez, it's fun to shop vicariously...LOL!

Post Number: 10
well i have couple of the 8400 wating on ebay for less so im gonna wait on those and see how that turns out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
how would the denon 2805, marantz, and yamaha 1500 comare to each other. and which one would u recommend?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 47
Yes, I am in line with Dru.

How if we pair the DENON 2805 with PSB Image speaker ? I myself plan to go with DENON 3805 with PSB Image speaker.
What do you think of this match ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, since PSB are neutral and Denon's are bit bright, wouldnt it make a equal combo?

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 12
I'd like to explore the "Denon's are a bit bright" comment for a moment...is this true? I have a brand new 3805 sitting in my HT room right now, unopened, that I can't wait to hook up. It's going to replace an Onkyo that's outlived it's expected life (*a Circuit City in Detroit demo model I got for $200 in 2000)...great receiver, but I think I just need more clean power to run the HT system of Polk Audios all around. How "bright" is the Denon...what's the line on the sound of the 3805?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 181
Denon is actually fairly neutral (for that level of product). The 3805 is more neutral than some of the lower models. When you get to the bottom of the Denon line they get just a bit bright but only if you are comparing them with a warm sounding product like Marantz.

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 27
NAD receivers - have owned a couple NAD receivers and now own NAD separates - have not had a problem in the 2 years - for music, I do not think they can be beat (for the price) - the power numbers are honest, measured with all channels dirven simotaneously - most companies are not that way...good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
well i think i've decided and im going with the Marantz SR8400. Power rating is around 120-125 a channel at 6 ohms. so i think power is gonna be there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Just to throw in another option to confuse you more: accessories4less.com is now offering the SR7400 for $650 shipped, brand new with 3 year Marantz warranty.

BTW, how much are you getting the 8400 for?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 250
edster, i saw the marantz being sold on ubid also. the worst part is that i just got a SR4400 right before seeing it. you have any idea why that many SR8400s are on sale at ubid? they usually have big box stuff or plain crappy stuff. i wouldnt think marantz itself is doing it, but u do still get the full 3 year warranty from Marantz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
my guess is they just want to get rid of discontinued stock and start selling the x500 line, and they probably have already started work on a x600 line.

What I'd love to see is Marantz entering the low-cost pure-digital-receiver market! But that would probably require a massive investment in totally new assembly lines, parts, etc.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased an sr8400 on UBID for $501 shipped. I think I got a pretty good bang for my buck. I am wondering if I should buy new speakers to go with it. Right now I have 2 pairs of cerwin vega ls10's(front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right) and 2 ls-6c(front-center, back-center). I blew my sub(12in infinity) so I'm going to have to get a new one. These speakers worked well with my thx kenwood, but they're huge!!!...Any options. Movie use (80%) Music (20%).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us