Denon 5803 and DefTech 3000 Hookups

Unregistered guest
I have a Denon 5803 receiver with Definitive Technology BP3000 speakers, which are large towers with built in 15" powered subwoofers. I'm looking for advice on the proper setup. My current configuration in the receiver setup has the mains as "large" and the subwoofer as "yes." I have a y-cable coming from the receiver sub out, with cables going to both speakers' LFE input. I have a cable connecting from the receiver's pre-out to the speakers' low level in. The speakers have tri-wiring capability. My speaker cable runs from the receiver to the mid-level speaker connector at the speaker, with a bridge from the mid to high (no bridge to the low connectors). Is this optimal?

jayjay300
Unregistered guest
I'll respectively pose this question again....there must be an expert or two out there who can spend a minute or two to set me straight!

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 223
JayJay: that doesn't sound right. Why do you have a line-level input connected from the receiver's pre-out to the speaker's line-level in? I don't have the DefTechs, but the wiring seems strange.

I believe the other settings on your reciever are correct. I would leave the L/R as "large". You may need to adjust the low frequency cutoff. Try 80Hz then go up from there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
JayJay: I think you're suppose to connect ONE or the OTHER, but not both! The optimal way may be to connect just the LFE of the speakers to the sub-out of your receiver. The only way I'd connect the full-range line-level input to the receiver is if the receiver has a full-range pre-out. I wouldn't, however, connect both at the same time. I could be wrong, but that's just me.

jayjay300
Unregistered guest
Geekboy: thanks....I'll try just the LFE's and see if there is a noticable difference. I appreciate your comments!

Silver Member

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 226
Jay Jay: if you ever come back... let us know how your testing went.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us