Upgrading cube speakers to 7.1

Unregistered guest
I am looking to upgrade to a 7.1 receiver. I currently have an Acoustimass 6 Series II Bose package with an Infinity Alpha in place of the tinny center cube. I plan to drag the original center cube out the closet for one of the new receiver's extra channels, but for the seventh channnel I'm unsure what to use. I thought of purchasing a matching cube online and hooking it straight into the receiver, but the manual says the cubes cannot be hooked direct (I've read varying opinions on this site). Anyway...is the seventh channel that important in a 7.1 hookup, will it matter if I used the tinny little cube direct-to-receiver? (I've been told already by friends to get two better front channel speakers and use the cubes for the sides, but I'm trying to stay married and my wife insists on keeping only "cute-little-Bose-Speakers" in the den. I almost ended up divorced over upgrading the center channel alone.)

Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 1
You can mount a BOSE cube directly I did it with a series 5 (2 cubes with one that swivels). I use them for Rear L&R surround for the same reason you are discussing. I did use ADS 250LCR speakers for front and center and a sunfire true sub jr sub woofer. I had my friend the installer put a 'filter' in line that kept anything below 200 Hz from hitting the cubes. He thought that would keep them from being 'torn up'. But search for cube speakers, you'll be surprised there are many more available now and at equal or lesser prices than BOSE and some have the opinion that they sound way better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us