Need help from the audio people

Chemist
Unregistered guest
I am setting up a sound system for my TV to play movies and music with. I'm big into music so I listen to everything, but not much music that would take a "thumper" for a subwofer. I am starting out with a reciever and two front speakers and want to add on when I buy a house. I currently live in an apartment so I want to buy something expandable. I have looked at the pioneer 1014 and d514. I'm not sure how much difference there is except for price. They both seem to do the job... and other suggestions? Thanks!

edster922
Unregistered guest
IMO the 1014 is well worth the extra $200 or so over the 514 at its current discontinued price of $400; when you buy a house you will not need to upgrade to a better receiver as you would with the 514.

As for the subwoofer---the ones that "thump" are actually the cheaper crappy ones, a really good subwoofer should blend in so well (instead of resonating and clipping at higher volumes) that you cannot locate it easily with your ears when listening to music...that's the standard definition of a quality "musical" sub which start out at $400 for SVS and Hsu. For HT you simply turn up the gain on that same sub if you want to really feel the rumbling and explosions.

Plus with a sub you can go for a pair of smaller fronts that are designed to get the critical midrange and high frequencies right ($300-600), much more eonomical than some true full-range speakers ($1500 and up) that usually need to be huge floorstanders which can bring out some WAF issues.

To pre-empt one of the other regular posters on this forum: yes if you don't listen to jazz or classical and are mainly interested in a party speaker (exaggerated bass & treble, scant mids) then the big Cerwin Vegas will do just fine.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 417
What's your price range?? As far as receivers go, Im biased to one that is 7.1 so you can have the capability of expanding to 7 speaker surround in your new home.

For both of my home purchases, one of my single biggest inputs into the home selection was that it have a room perfect for a large movie screen and surround friendly layout for a HT.

My wife can get whatever tickles her fancy. So long as the home has a room that satisfies my HT requirements, she'll get my rubber stamp of approval....heh.

To me, there would be nothing worse than moving into a new home where the layout wont accomodate a big TV/screen or proper speaker placement.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 418
What's your price range?? As far as receivers go, Im biased to one that is 7.1 so you can have the capability of expanding to 7 speaker surround in your new home.

For both of my home purchases, one of my single biggest inputs into the home selection was that it have a room perfect for a large movie screen and surround friendly layout for a HT.

My wife can get whatever tickles her fancy. So long as the home has a room that satisfies my HT requirements, she'll get my rubber stamp of approval....heh.

To me, there would be nothing worse than moving into a new home where the layout wont accomodate a big TV/screen or proper speaker placement.

Chemist
Unregistered guest
My price range is pretty open. I don't want to get stupid and buy some $1000 receiver that will serve my purpose no better than a $200. I have found spending a little extra money on something usually serves you better in the long run. I'm expecting to spend around 300-400 range. but that is negotiable.

edster922
Unregistered guest
I would first try out one of the new all-digital amps first, I've read so many people raving about them I've become very itchy myself though my wife would kill me if I bought ANOTHER receiver so soon.

I did hear the JVC Rx-f10 at a friend's house and its clarity was really amazing. There was one passage from a Santana song I really like and on this receiver I heard at least 3 extra notes at the end of his chorus line. For $230 it's simply unbelievable.

Panasonic also makes these, the sa-xr50/70 is around $300-400 I think and it's gotten the most buzz of all. Go to the avsforum.com and browse through the 35 page thread on digital receivers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us