New Martin Logans, Now need Receiver!

Anonymous

I just got a great deal on a set of ML Aeon i's and a Depth sub. I will add the center and surrounds later. Currently, I am looking at adding a receiver either the Rotel RSX-1067, the Arcam AVR300, NAD T773, and possibly NAD separates. My budget is under $2300. The Arcam and Rotel are trade-ins, so I should have enough money to buy an amplifier and use them as pre amps. Any views on how these would drive the MLs or any other suggestions on units I should consider would be welcome. Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 193
Go here:

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

And use separates. The MLs want power.

Bronze Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 26

I would not be using a receiver to drive ML's. The dealer where you bought the speakers surely was not using a receiver; were they?

Anonymous

Thanks for the input. At the dealer where I auditioned the speakers, they did use a receiver, but I purchased the speakers through Audiogon. Any separates that you think would work better? Would the NADs be a good match? I know I have to listen to them, just trying to get to a manageable level of units to audition.

BTW, glad to see you finally got everything sorted out with the imposter Jan.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3240

I have made it a policy to not do product recommendations of the forum (well, hardly ever). There are plenty of people who will give an opinion about what gear they prefer, but I think there is too much to consider before anyone can tell you what you should even look at. I remember reading about a ML forum. If you can find that, I'd start by reading what other people are using. Though I have nothing against the used market at all (much of what I own was purchased used), give your local dealer a shot. Good local dealers are going to be a vanishing breed with the ascendance of the internet unless they get some support from the audiophiles they were created to serve.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 194
I agree with you Jan and my link above is to the Martin Logan user forum.

Username: Woodro

, United States

Post Number: 5
Thanks guys. I actually have visited several local dealers and plan to buy some components from them, its just that the speaker deal was too good to pass up. Thanks for the tip Jonathan, I signed up at the ML owners group and will definitely utilize the expertise of more experienced audiophiles than me.

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I have been to several local dealers and plan to purchase from them, its just that the speaker deal was too good to pass up. I signed up for the ML owners group, thanks for the tip Jonathan.

Anonymous

Is it not worthwhile to start with a receiver and then use it as a pre-amp or is it just better to start with dedicated separates?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 424
You get higher quality components and processing out of seperates, as they're geared towards the high end market.

Anonymous

Is it a good idea to start with a really good pre-amp and a 2nd hand amp, or just try to get it all at once? Also, is it a bad idea to mix pre-amps and amps from different manufacturers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us