Receiver for Ohm Walsh speakers

Anonymous

I need help choosing a receiver. I am thinking of getting a pair of Ohm Walsh 100 MK-2. I intend to add on a center channel speaker and two rear speakers at a later date so I need an A/V receiver. The catch is that Ohm Walsh speakers have a 6 ohm impedance.

Does anybody have recommendations on a receiver that has a high dynamic range into low impedance and that would be happy with a 6 ohm load?

Oh yeah, and I am looking to keep the cost below $1000, if that is possible.

Silver Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 121
http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/4-ohmspeakersreceiver.php

Any reasonably high quality receiver mass market or otherwise ought to be able to fullfill you needs at sub <$1K price range.

Username: Alessio

Post Number: 1
I have heard that these speakers are power hungry, that is why I am skeptical about the mass market products :-)

Anonymous

pls
NEW CODE FOR ( NAGRAVISION)

Anonymous

pls
NEW CODE FOR ( NAGRAVISION)

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 45
I don't really know how tough a load the ohms are, as I have never had the privilege of hearing them. I see on the ohm site that the max recommended power is 140 watts. Not quite the headaroom of some of ohms other speakers, though certainly able to consume all that most of the mainline $1K receivers. Whether they will leave you wanting more power or not I don't know, but I would imagine they would do fine for most people.

I have read reviews where people are using receivers from Yamaha, Denon, and Pioneer to drive 4 ohm loads with good success and no real problems. My current speakers are 6 ohms and not the most efficient speakers around. I needed something that wouldn't run out of juice when I wanted to crank it up. That is one of the reasons I recently purchased an elite vsx-54tx. It has a mosfet amp in it.

(Warning: Baseless generalizations follow)
For some reason mosfets seem to have more "grunt" than traditional bi-polars. I have no technological know-how as to why that is, it just seems that way to me. Mosfet amps usually don't seem as "dynamic", often being described as "laid-back" or "reserved", as bi-polar amps, but they also don't seem to be as "anemic" when driving hungry speakers. My 54 has ample reserves for my speakers, and I am able to push my speakers to levels I couldn't before. I am incredibly pleased with the sound. Of course, this is all just personal experience.

Anonymous

Hey Xsound,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have heard from other people that it would be a good idea to get a 7.1 receiver, use itas a pre amp and add an amp to satisfy these speakers' appetite :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us