Help required in buying a A/V reciever

Username: Merlot

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I am a newbie in this field, planning to buy a A/V reciever. I reside in India and there are few stores that carry good A/V with them. In India, I have played around with Denon (with KEF speakers) and Onkyo (with ONKYO speakers) recievers in their exclusive outlets. The cost of these recievers is almost double so I thought of getting it from US.

One of my friend suggested me the following systems:
1> Pioneer VSX 912k
2> Denon AVR 1804
3> Onkyo TX SR601

My budget for the A/V reciever is around $300 - $400 (speakers not inclusive).
Usage of the reciever would be something like this: 35% Music, 40% Movie, 25%TV

Since getting the speakers to India from US is difficult I am planing to buy the speakers in India. I have option for buying KEF and Onkyo speakers. I initially want to buy front floor standing speakers and addon the speakers over a period of time.

Could any gurus help me out in deciding which A/V reciever to buy. Since my plan is to addon the speaker over a period of time, I need reciever that play with minimum number(2) of speakers. Also please suggest among KEF and Onkyo which is a better one?

jimvm
Unregistered guest
I'm not familiar with the Pioneer, but either the Denon or the Onkyo receiver would be fine. After spending time with both of them, choose the one which has the look, feel and features you like best. Between KEF and Onkyo speakers, I would choose KEF.

Post Number: 2
will this reciever work with just 2 speakers???

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 641
Of course--any surround receiver will work with 2 speakers. Those receivers should be fairly inexpensive as they are 2003 models. The Denon is well built and reasonable, but doesn't have tone controls. The Pioneer is quite good, but doesn't have on screen display--but it does include automatic speaker set-up and balancing, which is a great feature at this price point. At this price range you aren't going to get everything, but you can get good basic performance.

Unregistered guest
Dear Friend, I personally own a Pioneer VSX-D12. It works/looks better than Denon or Onkyo. If you are on a budget go for the Pioneer, it's a much better buy without the expense. On speakers, I would defintitly goes for the Kef...I personally have a set Polk Lsi searie speakers. Enjoy...

One more thing friend, I'm currently a contractor for various company in the Easter hemisphere. I personally a designated purchaser for them in the U.S. to save custom expenses in various tariff expenses. Which consist mainly of computers, computer electronics and digital cameras. I do know exactly what you meant when you said the prices almost double.

Username: Benuv

hello,
I am in the process of buying good speakers for my home theatre system.. I am currently buying the Yamaha 2500 Receiver... Could anybody be kind enough to sugest me a good speakers... I went to KEF.com... but did'nt really know what to look for,.,,... any help will great,...

Thanks

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Hi Ben; welcome to the forum. First of all, forum etiquette dictates that you should not insert your new question into the middle of someone else's thread; you should begin a new thread with your question. Second, in order to get the most useful replies, you need to include more information in your question, e.g., budget, size of room, type of system you're looking to end up with, i.e, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, any other pertinent factors, etc.

Username: Kta

Hi
I have got a Yamaha 2500 receiver driving Kef and it sounds really great. Q7 for the fronts, Q9c for the centre, Q4 for the surrounds and KHT 2005.2 for the rear effects - all underpined with a Kef PB30 12" 100watt sub. I use it for movies, CD music and DVD audio and SACD. DVD player is a Pioneer 667 Universal Player.

Post Number: 3
I recently came across Pioneer VSX 1014K. How is this model in comparison with Denon AVR 1804 and Onkyo TX SR601? My budget will allow me to look for any of these 3 amps :-)

Username: Benuv

Post Number: 2
Hello, Thanks for the info... I will post again with more specific questions and pertinent factors...

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 18
The Pioneer is an excellent receiver for the money. It has the THX mode, which the others don't. The 1014 is basically an elite model without the badge or the price. But if you can wait, the new model, the 1015 is coming out in April, it's gonna have 10 more watts/channel, and the THX is gonna be updated. Even if you can't, I love my 1014, great value for the money.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Merlot,

the 1014 should blow away the Onkyo and equal if not better the Denon. Between those 3 I'd choose the 1014 in a heartbeat.

Post Number: 4
Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions.
I heard that no stores in US are carrying pioneer vsx 1014k model. So I can't have a demo of it. I think I will eliminate Onkyo from my choice list, I am now left out with pioneer vsx 1014k or Denon AVR 1804. I am still not sure which one to go for. Atleast I was able to elminate Onkyo from my choice list :-).

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 20
Best Buy still might have some, and you could pick yours up on a good deal, they orginally charged $500, then they had a sale with $100 off, and I had a coupon too, so I picked mine up for around $350. But most stores are getting rid of their stock of it in prep for the 1015.

Username: Goodears

Hi Merlot

I'm also from India and in the same stage of buying as you are. Can you tell me where you saw the pioneer. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Post Number: 5
Hi Digvijay,
Atleast in the place where I am staying (san diego) no stores are carrying the pioneer for demo, u will have to just buy based on the reviews. If you visit cnet site there u will get the links for the stores that sell this online.
I have still not decided whether to go with Pioneer or Denon. I am very confident with the capabilities of Denon, since I have played around with it, but pioneer I will need to buy it only on reviews.
If in case you come across a store where they close by my place please do let me know.

Post Number: 6
Hi Digvijay,
Atleast in the place where I am staying (san diego) no stores are carrying the pioneer for demo, u will have to just buy based on the reviews. If you visit cnet site there u will get the links for the stores that sell this online.
I have still not decided whether to go with Pioneer or Denon. I am very confident with the capabilities of Denon, since I have played around with it, but pioneer I will need to buy it only on reviews.
If in case you come across a store where they close by my place please do let me know.

RichF
Unregistered guest
I have been searching for a good deal on the Pioneer 1014, but instead I'm finding it disappear. It is no longer available from Best Buy stores, BestBuy.com, Vanns.com, Crutchfield.com, J&R.com....in fact, the only authorized dealer that has them in stock is onecall.com for $400. i order one from supplieschannel.com for $330....backorder, i order one from ideal audio/video...backorder. Does anyone know of any deals out there for this unit....if not I'm suck it up and spend the $400 from onecall. I don't care about buying from an authorized dealer.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the help guys... I purchased Pioneer VSX 1014k for $345. Now got to start the hunt for the speakers :-)

Post Number: 3
congrats. but where did you get it from?

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 41
Where in India are you Merlot? What's your budget (in Rs.) for spkrs. Bookshelves or Floorstanders?

Post Number: 8
I am from bangalore, I am initially planning 2 have bookshelves speaker. Are you a person from Audionvision? who deals with B & W speakers in India?

Anonymous

Merlot,

Have you checked if your new Pioneer VSX 1014k will work with 50 cycles power supply in India? I know you can convert the 240v to 120v - not sure about the frequency?

puchoo
Unregistered guest
Hey guys.

I was in the same predicamnet as all of you when i set up my Home theatre about 1 year back. but then i stumbled on to this one shop which sells hi end Audio video equipment for dirt cheap prices. new as well as secondhand. at Indian rates!! So if you guys ever need anything then just drop in a line at puchoo35@hotmail.com

Post Number: 6
where is it? any contact details?

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys
There are amazing information which you guys are pumping in by your expertise in the area. I am planning to buy ONKYO HTS 570. I found that HTS 670 is much better for low frequency response. My observation was HTS 670 has much tighter Base than HTS 570. Before I buy, Would like to know your expert opinion, if i should go for ONKYO HTS 670. I have a offer for Rs.28 K for 570 and Rs.38 K for 670. GUYS Kindly suggest which one to BUY.

fromBangalore
Unregistered guest
In the process of building a Home theatre, I have bought Denon 1604 model 6.1 - 75W RMS/channel.

Sony has set of speakers CR350H center+2 rear -85$ Floor standing-SS-MF550H Subwoofer-SA-WM500. these speakers are available in india. Do you think this set of speakers are good in quality for the price and go with Denon AV reciever? Is it worth buying these?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 318
subrat,

Compared to other HTIBs in that price range the Onkyo 670 and 770 systems are not bad.

However, you would do much better by buying separate components, one at a time. I would start with the receiver, and the best L/R speakers you can afford if you will listen to a lot of music, if not just get decent L/R speakers for HT.

Next step, add the Center speaker (have the 3 speakers be of the same brand for timbre matching). The center is the workhorse of HT, it does at least 60-70% of the work so get the best one you can afford.

After that, add a subwoofer (doesn't need to be same brand).

Last, add the surrounds---unless you do a lot of SACD or DVD-A music, you'll be fine with cheap small bookshelves and they don't need to be the same brand as the front L/C/R.

In the meantime, it's better to have a good 3.1 setup than a mediocre or crappy 5.1/6.1/7.1 which is what you'll get with any HTIB in that price range.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 778
I agree with edster. You should definitely consider a Sub if you have small undersized bookshelf speakers like Edster.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 326
yes and also if you have crappy behemoth Cerwin Vegas lke Paul, heh heh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us