Cable co. won't give me a dvr cable box w/optical output

Username: Rick_g

Post Number: 1
Hi, I live in suffolk county LI,NY and cablevision will not intall a HD DVR digital cable box because I don't have an HDTV.

I picked up and installed a dvr box from them and it only has a digital coaxial output, where as my old digital cable box had a optical out.

They will not hand out the HD dvr box, (which has a optical out) it has to be installed by their techs, but will not install it unless I have an HDTV.(which I don't)

I calmly explained to them that it should work through my Yamaha HTR-5490, since I'm only using my tv as a monitor. (am I wrong?)

Alas...they will not do this for me.

What should I do?

I don't have a ground line to hook up a tivo to, but I guess I won't get the sound I want out of this cable box with the dvr built in.

Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 315
Rick, if you dont have HDTV, there is no benefit to having the HD-DVR, or reason for them to install the vastly more expensive DVR. You might want to bite the bullet and buy the digital coaxial cable to connect to your receiver. Your receiver does have dig/coax inputs, rght??? In spite of what 'some' may say, digital coaxial is every bit as good as optical so long as you dont have a rediculously long run. Since the cable techs are in charge of hooking it up, they might even supply the cable. I dont have cableTV, so Im not up on those cable 'freebie' things.

Post Number: 2
I do have a coax(and it is digital) going from my cable box to my receiver and I'm only getting a PCM signal and not digital 5.1.

That's why I wanted to try the hdtv box which comes whit a optical output. :-(

Why the digital coax is not working....idunno?

Thanks anyways...

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
Rick,

I dont have a cablebox so I cant help you with their setup menu. What I do know is that both my DVD player and SatBox required you to go into your setup menu and manually select DD for it to output the correct signal.

IF you dont have instructions for your box setup, I'd make them return to configure it properly. Crack the 'ol whip!!

I can feel your pain though. I'd be a little upset too, to say the least. I've had nothing but problems with our local cable provider, so needless to say, the first opportunity that came along to dump them, I did.

Post Number: 3
Sure enough....I unpluged/reboot the box and...

:-) Thanks Paul!

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
Great!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us