Yamaha RX-V650 vs RX-V750 for HT

Username: Scotts

Pelham, Alabama USA

Post Number: 1
I am looking to upgrade from my Yamaha HTR-5550 to a newer model with more features. I have a mixed setup of components which I know isn't really ideal but I can't lay out a whole lot of money right now. (I just bought the Sony Wega 55" LCD so money is tight.)

My setup is this:
Main - Cerwin Vega E-712
Center - Cerwin Vega E-76C
Satellite - Klipsch Synergy B-2
Sub - Yamaha YST-SW205

The room is 14' W x 17' L

I have read a lot of thoughts/reviews on these receivers but I wanted to see what some of you more knowledgeable people had to say as the units relate to my particular setup of speakers, room size, etc.

Thank you,

Scott

Pelham, Alabama USA

Post Number: 2
No comments or thoughts on this combo of components for either of these receivers? Is either receiver good, or even bad, for this combination of components I have? Are they really pretty much the same except one is 6.1 and the other 7.1 and one has one or two more options?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 288
Scott,

What's your budget?

Like you, I also have a pair of Cerwin Vegas(D-9s)as front speakers. I recently upgraded receivers to a YamahaRX-V2500 and love it. There are a variety of different options and features available on receivers so it's worth looking into them to see what's available, which ones you want....etc, etc...

To answer your question, no....whether it is a 6.1 or 7.1 isnt the only difference between models and various price levels. Receivers have advanced a long ways since the 'old days' of dolby pro logic.

Pelham, Alabama USA

Post Number: 3
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. My budget is sort of tight right now as I just laid out 3 grand on the 55" Sony Wega LCD.

I'm really trying to stay in the $500 range (street price) for a receiver and have been happy with my Yamaha 5550 (2002 model). That's why I was leaning to the RX-V650 and RX-V750 models. I listen to music about 10 percent of the time and primarily use my system for TV sound and movies.

Scott

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 290
Scott,
Yea, Im the same way and use mine mostly for movies. I think either of those models would be a good choice. Definitely great value for the money.

Migrain
Unregistered guest
GO WITH THE 750, IT HAS MORE FUTURE READY ASPECTS THAN THE 650. IT IS VERY CLOSELY RELATED TO THE THE 1500 IN TERMS OF FEATURES. GO TO A STORE AND GET THE BROCHURE, IT SHOWS A SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON OF ALL THE YAMAHA RXV SERIES

Migrain
Unregistered guest
GO WITH THE 750, IT HAS MORE FUTURE READY ASPECTS THAN THE 650. IT IS VERY CLOSELY RELATED TO THE THE 1500 IN TERMS OF FEATURES. GO TO A STORE AND GET THE BROCHURE, IT SHOWS A SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON OF ALL THE YAMAHA RXV SERIES

Username: Cerwin

On

Post Number: 8
rxv 750 has a learning capable LCD Remote - about 5 watts additional power (barely noticeable) and it also has a metal volume knob.(this doesn't sound like a big deal but when you get the 650 home, the plastic volume control looks cheap!)
These aren't major differences, but still very worthwhile.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us