Need help for speaker set-up from knowledgeable Marantz SR7300 owner

Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 7
I have played around with the speaker settings: distances, large/small,levels and have acquired what I think is good overall surround sound.

But my limited knowledge makes me wonder if I have achieved the optimum settings. If someone with a degree of expertise can offer some advice I would be much obliged.

1. Settings for large or small speakers. I think I read somewhere that speakers with a frequency of 70hz or lower would be considered as large. Yet the 7300 manual suggests cone sizes of 4.75 ins and below as small for setting the subs crossover frequencies. Setting my speakers from large to small results in louder lows from my sub. If I keep the speakers set to large will this still prevent them from emitting frequencies lower than the crossover settings? E.G Setting crossover at 80hz when speakers lower frequencies range from 50 - 60 hz.

2. I don't quite understand the setting for speaker levels. As the white noise test tones get louder as volume is increased. I do note that with higher db levels that sound comes in at lower levels on the volume control. I do understand getting the noise levels to similar loudness across the different speakers but are there any advantages in using lower or higher db levels when adjusting these settings?

Look, I may have everything set okay - it does sound right, but a better understanding may even improve things.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 11
Or anyone knowledgeable with the above mentioned settings!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us