4 ohm or 8 ohm

Steep Takeoff
Can I use 3 watt 8 ohm speakers with a car stereo that usually has 4 ohm speakers? what problems will arise. I am not looking for quality but just want to play the radio in a boat. Will it hurt the system? or the speakers?

Richard
Increasing the impedance to 8 Ohms will have the effect of Halving the current used in the speaker and therefore halving the electrical power used, you wont be able to get as much sound power from these speakers in this configuration, but they should not be harmed. Power problems only usually occur when people use lower impedance speakers on large amps, which increases the current, and blows the crap out of the speakers

I have a Sanyo 5.1 surround system, four speakers are 8 ohm, whilst the sub woofer is 4 ohm.

At the weekend, i picked up a bargain, a set of sony floor standing and decent sub woofer but unfortunatly they are all 3 ohm.

can i use these with my system without doing any damage or can i add resistors in series to build up the impedance.

your help would be much appreciated.

thanks

MC
With a surround system, the amp is divided in 5 separate changels, every channel has its own signal.

It can only do harm if you for example put 4 x 4ohm speakers parallel on 1 channel, then you can burn out your channel, because the resistance is getting very very low, 1ohm if i'm not mistaken. And if you gonna play on high level at that point, your amp will get into trouble.

So you can't really do any harm with a surround amp.

Hi im Ken from (Australia). The Date and time here is Saturday, August 9th @ 12:33pm
I just brought a car Subwoofer with a build in amp in a Cylinder (i think that it is 4 ohm but im not to sure, it could be 8ohm) and im powering it up with a 13.8v to 240volt transformer, i was wondering will it cause any damage my Onkyo TX 600, ive got it connected up to the "SUB PRE OUT" RCA connection, my question is the "SUB PRE OUT" 4 ohms or 8 ohms or doesnt it really matter as far as the "ohms" are conserned

Any questions or answers from anyone would be appriciated
Thanks, Ken (Aust)

Hawk
Ken:

It doesn't matter what the impedence of the subwoofer is because its built in amp is driving the sub, not the receiver.

john snyder
i have a subwoofer driver whitch is an 8 ohm. i was wondering if it would do any harm to the driver if i hooked it to an amp whitch outputs at 4 ohms.

I have 2 6x9 4 OHM speakers in my Grand Prix what would happen if I replaced one (it's broken) with an 8 OHM speaker?

i have a stereo system with a 4 ohms speakers can i put 8 ohms speakers in my stereo system that support 4 ohms.

hello I got some nice hot dvd audio speakers that are 250 watts and are rated at 4 ohms now I want to put them in my car witch i know is 2 ohms output and will ue a amp rated at 200wats or less will this be good or not...that is using 2 oms out to a 4 oms speaker if not what can i do

michael
hi. ive got an old marantz amp. its max ohm out put is 16. im running two 8 ohm speakers but i want to use 4, 4ohm speakers. now i was told that if i cross the wires of my 8ohm speakers between the systems or channels(i think theyre called)then the ohms will be halved...8 ohms to 4 ohms. is that possible and how?

I JUST BOUGHT TWO 12 INCH, ALUMAPRO ALCHEMY SUBWOOFERS....BUT WHAT I DIDNT REALIZE, WAS THAT ONE WAS 4 OHMS, AND THE OTHER IS AN 8 OHM!!! I WANT TO PUT THE TWO IN THE TRUNK OF MY CAR...WILL THESE NOT RUN TOGETHER ? WILL SOMETHING NOT SOUND RIGHT, OR GET DAMAGED ? THANKS

Unregistered guest
I got some 4 ohm, 2-way speakers for christmas. :-)
problem is, my stereo will only let me use 8 ohm speakers if I use all 4 speakers at the same time. Is there anything I can do to increase the resistance of the speakers so I can use them? wiring tricks etc. ?? thanx a bunch!

mel
Unregistered guest
yes you can by wiring them in parallel not real sure about specifics, im sure someone in here can help you out.

Username: Kegger

Post Number: 37
mike n.

what you would do if you want to makw the speakers
8 ohms is wire them 2 at a time in series not in
paralell.

2 in series gives 8 ohms
2 in parralell gives 2 ohms

anyways to wire in series hook the amp to 1 spkr
on the negative input and the other speaker on the
positive input then run a wire for the 1 spkr to
the other on the open inputs.

do this for the left and right outputs of the amp
and you will have 4 speakers hooked up (2 on each)
to your amp at 8ohms a channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us