Polk, Klipsch

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 88
I am planning to buy a pair of floorstanding speakers and have narrowed down to these brands and specifically on these models. I mainly listen to classic, pop songs and watch movies. Anybody has personal experiences on them? Basically they are good ones so almost everybody who has used one of them would give postive feedbacks and make it hard to distinguish which is better.

Klipsch Synergy F-3: I listened to it in BB and sounds good to me.
Polk Monito 70
Cerwin Vega CLSC 215 or E 715: heard it's not good for classic

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14
It's all a matter of personal taste but I would choose Polk over Klipsch. I used to own Polks and enjoyed them very much. Of the speakers you have listed I believe that Polk is the best for your stated application. If your budget is limited like mine you may want to consider Axiom or Paradigm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Klipsch RF7 seems to be better, more expensive. But never listened to it.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 129
the RF7 is a great speaker, heads and taisl above the synergy.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 234
Personally, I wouldnt get either if you mainly listen to Rock, and watch movies.

bleh.....I cant stand all the small front speakers selling these days. Go find and listen to Cerwin Vega Classic CLSC-215s, and save some money. They will blow anything klipsch or polk have to offer away. These arent to be confused as refined audiophile speakers, but they will blow away the 'small' competition. I recently tried to buy some new fronts and was shocked at the lousy speakers available. I looked at front/center models costing up to $3500 per set, and was shocked at the small soundstage they created. In the end, I left shaking my head and bought nothing.

If you were a classical enthusist....well, the Cerwin Vegas are obviously the wrong choice.

PS...you can sell your sub because you wont need it any longer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Yes, if for Rock and movies, Cerwin Vega is definitely great deal.

Paul, what were you referring "they" in "If you were a classical enthusist....well, these obviously arent the speakers for you."? All of the three brands of just Cerwin Vega? From somewhere Klipsch RF7 seems to be good for classic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
I edited my previous post to clarify and soften it a little.

yes, what I meant to say is that if you were a classical music enthusisist, and what I call a 'refined' listener.......The CV are the 'wrong' speaker for you.

The Cerwin Vegas basically create the largest soundstage available without spending a large amount of money and nothing compares.

Sure, there are many speakers that are more refined, but that's not what Im talking about when I say 'big soundstage'.

Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 3
I'm now a polk owner and am really enjoying my bookshelf polks (RTi4's), yet I don't like the Monitor Series...you can do better with the RTi series or for more money the LSi's.

I also own Cerwin-Vega E715's and I have stored them so I can use them again when I have either a large home theater room or a much larger living area. I really like the sound that the E715's produce, big, booming bass and suprisingly clear mids and highs. If you do purchase the E715's just know that they are HUGE and unless you have the space, they just don't fit in a normal sized living room.

Bronze Member
Username: Elite

Post Number: 79
klipsch

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 21
I have not listened to the Synergy F-3, however i do own RF-35's and they sound awesome with rock and movies. The horn give an in your face sound which I like for rock and movies. I can't comment on the cerwin vega's, but i did start to go polk till i heard klipsch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
I basically plan on the Klipsch RF7. There are users' feedbacks on it and you can find them at this website and most of them gave it full scores. Oh yeah sometimes we don't have much good references and have to rely on these unreliable stuff. I can use my current small speakers till I find good deal on it.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 321
Paul wrote:

Go find and listen to Cerwin Vega Classic CLSC-215s, and save some money. They will blow anything klipsch or polk have to offer away. These arent to be confused as refined audiophile speakers, but they will blow away the 'small' competition.

They are not really any bigger than Klipsch heritage. I own Klipsch La Scala's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
I've never seen, or had the opportunity to listen to the Heritage series. I just looked at some of them on the web and they look like they'd be right up my alley though. They definitely look like something more my style.

The nicest klipsch that i've listened to were their towers with twin 10" drivers. I dont recall the model number though. They sounded nice, but didnt deliver the big soundstage that I was looking for.

Im not very familiar with the La Scalas. They're some classic oldies too, arent they?? At least as far as front speakers go, there isnt much on the market that catches my interest that doesnt cost as much as an automobile.

My biggest complaint with the speaker industry is that large beefy fronts that can produce a huge soundstage are virtually nonexistant in the moderately priced market. Sure, theres always the exception, but they're next to impossible to find in stores.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 326
Paul,

My La Scala are 31 year old, but they are still made:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=6

Most people buy them used on ebay for around US$1000 to US$1500 a pair (instead of US$4500 new).

They are three way horn-loaded with a 15 inch woofer in the bass bin (facing the wall behind the V-shape). High efficiency: 104 dB at 1W/1m. Very revealing speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 744
If you're on any kind of budget (who isn't) and listen to classical - do not go with Polks. I had some RTi6s - fine for pop/rock -but overly bright and strident for classical. Now I've got B&W 705s and they are MUCH better!

If you have a place and chance to audition PSB speakers - please do so. You will be most pleasantly surprised by both the big, natural sound and the relatively small price. My personal preference if I didn't have the B&Ws. Axiom are also "sleepers." Very good sound - in my humble opinion - and nicely finished.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 68
The divergence of opinion should suggest one thing: go listen and judge for yourself. I keep saying this but no one seems to pay attention.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
The vast market, lack of chance to listen to a pruduct personally, limited budget, and others, all these make it hard to choose the right component.
PSB looks good and more expensive than Klipsch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
Peter, thanks for the link.

& Dale....Im with ya 100%. Let your ears be the judge!! Plus....I think people tend to get too overly wrapped up in specs and other opinions. Afterall, who's going to have to live with the speakers you buy, right?

For those who cant listen to them, well...that's a toughie.
If it were me, and I lived a couple hours from the nearest 'good' retailer. I would probably do like you often see here and ask enough questions and do enough research to narrow the list down to 2-3 pairs, and then take a weekend and drive to where I could listen. That sounds like an awfully fun way to spend a saturday. Leave the wife and kids at home:-) A word of advice, drive a vehicle capable of returning home with large boxes in tow.

Silver Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 109
You could always have the dealer ship them to you...

For that mail order experience.

:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us