Anyone hooked Sirius up to a car and home receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 21
Has anyone hooked a Sirius receiver up to their home receiver? What was the quality? I've heard that it is below CD but above mp3. Also, the current Sirius deal lets you get a home and car docking station for the price of one ($49 each at CC with a $49 rebate for one) plus $100US for the tuner. Has anyone tried one of the docking versions for their car?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Sounds like a 'no'?

spc
Unregistered guest
I have sirius in both my home and my car. The sound quality is great in both, but every time I go under an overpass there is a one second signal interuption, I am told xm has the same problem. I understand Sirius just came out w/a better antenna, so maybe that will fix the problem.
Keep in mind there are several hardware options for your car and home. I'd suggest you check out there web site.

Bronze Member

PA US

Post Number: 99
My XM has the same "cut out" problem when driving. I live in a valley and the reception for the satelite is still very good at home. With digital signals you either have them or don't. When you don't they "cut out".

Anonymous

I have a problem with my sirius reciever cutting out during a certain part of the day. I get perfect reception most of the day but then for a 10-20 minute period it will loose reception in and out. Im not sure if it is because of satalite/earth positioning or what.. but its irritating. Whats the best placement for a home antenna? Do I really need to put it on the roof?

Silver Member

PA US

Post Number: 102
I have not had that experience. The XM SkyFi2 seems to work as long as it has a decent signal. I'm using the Audio System boombox which has an antenna mounted on the back (that can be extended 20 feet). I leave it attached to the boombox. As long as I point it generally South it works everywhere in the house.

Username: Big_luni

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 5
I have a Blaupunkt America SR04 w/ Car & Home kits. It's hardwired to my stock head unit through an adapter to the CD changer inputs in the back (don't use the FM transmitter if you can help it- the sound quality suffers noticably). I find that the audio on the music stations equal to CD quality, and is basically as good as the stereo system you're playing it through. Talk stations have less bandwith, and a sound with no high or low end, which I find inferior to AM. I don't have too much signal loss in the car, unless there's a snowstorm or I pull into a parking garage. There have been a few days where I've lost the signal for a second for no apparent reason, but that's been rare. The Blaupunkt does seem to pick up engine interference (a high piched whine that changes pitch with acceleration), which you can hear if you really listen for it. That's a slight annoyance that I hope to isolate.

At home, I have it hooked to my living room receiver's Aux inputs. Sound quality there is excellent, and if you can find a place near a window for the small indoor antenna, you shouldn't have any interference problems. Just experiment with different antenna placements until the display shows all three bars for at least a few seconds, and you should be fine. There's enough cable length to allow you to have the reciever where your stereo is, and still have several antenna placement options.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us