NAD T753 or Pioneer elite VSX53TX?

RD53l
Unregistered guest
I am not sure which one to get. In this moment I have as front speakers Monitor Audio bronze 6 with 200W at 6 ohms and since pioneer, according to on-line manual for this model of recever,doesn't recommend using of speakers impedance lower than 8 ohm's I am not sure how good this choice is. On the other side whole web is full of complaints of nad's owner how this company's av receivers have hum and are quite unreliable personally would be the happiest with nad but after all negative on-line experiences, and on the other hand there is almost no complaints on pioneer elite products.

Bronze Member
Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 56
A few things to consider....
The PE CAN handle 6ohm loads - it says so in the manual and you can adjust the system as low as 6ohms. I personally love my PE more and more every time I listen to it - and Im also coupling it with monitor audio speakers - mine are the silvers though. But you do say youd be happiest with the NAD. The dealer I went to the other day to listen to the new line of NAD products hasnt heard and complaints about the new line with quality control problems. I think a few people are gettin a few lemons and making their opinion known. If you really like the NAD best then I say go with the NAD. Just make sure youve listened to everything first - its your ears that need to like it not your eyes :-)
HTH
Jeff

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Post Number: 22
NAD are not unreliable, I have had 3 receivers from NAD, a T750, T751, T762 and all gave a sterling service. Currently I am using the T762 and I'm quite happy with it. Lots of Dynamic range, very good amplification and features. What I can say is to audition both units and decide for your self. All I can say is that the T753 is based on the T762, and both receivers will drive a 4 ohm load on all channels with ease

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 220
You are choosing between two very excellent receiversand I agree that you should buy whichever you like best and find most user friendlyetc. Both will have no problem at all driving your Monitors. I have the Elite 45 with Monitor Silvers and it's a perfect match sonically. So would be NAD. My only caveat about the NAD is to make sure it has enough inputs for your system and any future expansion as it is a bit skimpy on inputs. Bottom line, both are great and will serve you very well for many years to come.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Do you think so? I think you better check out the rear panel of this model. The back looks like a switch board with all those ins and out. Very flexible indeed;-)
Very similar to the T762. The only few major omissions are the Rs232 and lack of 1 component in

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
The NAD's only have 6 useable inputs which to me is the only negative I can think of. The Elite 53 has 8, so that might make a difference. Just something to consider.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
when refering to 6 useable inputs, what inputs are you referring too? Are you refering to the 6 digital in and 2 out, 6 video in (svideo/composite), 1 Composite out, 1 svideo out, 7.1 in, 5.1 in, 7.2 out, Cd In, Tape in, 2 component in and one out, 2 triggers in and 4 out etc?

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
I am refering to the 6 analog inputs primarily which is not enough for my system. I have no problem with the other inputs you mentioned. All the NAD models are great sonically but just a bit shy on inputs for my needs unfortunatly. This issue is a problem for me as it narrows my choices considerably but luckily for me I really love my current Elite/Monitor system and don't look to change it for quite awhile. That's the plan for now but I have owned 6 receivers in the past 7 years so you never know when the urge to change will hit. Hopefully not for a long time as my system is a real pain to change out.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 216
They are both excellent receivers. With the NAD buying a Radio Shack SPL Meter is a must for getting proper speaker balancing. Costs around $40. The PE 53TX has a built-in system (MCACS)for balancing your speakers and acoustics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
I would urge everyone who has a HT system to buy a SPL meter, even if they have a receiver with a self balancing system like the Elite's. Even though I have the Elite 45 I trust my level meter more than the built in system. I would never want to be without this wonderful tool and it's a shame that Radio Shack had discontinued their analog meter.

Username: Thearthurclone

Post Number: 4
elitefan...
i believe that radio shack reintroduced an analog meter. they did clear out the older model, but it appears it was to replace it with a newer analog model. i'm not sure if there is any difference in accuracy, but the new model is less boxy looking...so maybe they just wanted it to be more 'ergonomic'

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
I certainly wouldn't argue with notion that everyone that takes their system seriously should have an SPL meter. I do. But I was suprised when I used the MCAC system on the Pioneer Elite 49TXi and used my Radio Shack $40 SPL meter that I didn't have to move anything.

But it is a great tool to have and it has been extremely helpful on my downstairs system.

RD53l
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all replies, and one question for sgtpeper and Elitefan1-do you people use your MA with receivers switched to 6 ohms or with the defaults of 8 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
I am very glad to hear Radio Shack has a neww analog meter. I hardly ever go in that store so my info was outdated. All I did when I hooked up my Elite and Monitor's was plug in the speakers and go. I don't even remember if there is a switch for this on the back or not and I have had no problems even after several hours of very loud usage.

RD53I
Unregistered guest
And I would like to know two things more if you could help-first, what is actually happening when speakers with, for instance as the worst case scenario, impedance of 4 ohms is put at receiver with 8 ohms. Would that damage speakers or receiver or something else? And second-for rear speakers in home cinema is it better to buy dipole speakers like Monitor Audio - BFX or classic speakers like MA B4 and is there great difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 59
There is no switch on the 45tx at least - instead the manual says it automatically selects which setting to be at - but you can check it and you can change it manually if need be. - Mine however I did make sure were set to 6ohm :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 37
You generally shouldn't use a receiver that has been rated for a minimum nominal impedance that is higher than your speaker impedance. For that matter, you generally won't get optimal performance from receivers that use a 4/8 ohm current limiting switch, either.

Speakers with lower impedances (e.g., 4 ohms) require receivers capable of "high current." One rule-of-thumb you can use to ascertain whether a receiver is truly capable of delivering high current power is to look at its power ratings for both 8 ohms and 4 ohms. (And if they don't provide both, that's not a good sign -- but you can check for a 6-ohm rating.) Ideally, the power ratings for lower impedances (e.g., 4 ohms) should be noticeably higher than the power ratings for higher impedances (e.g., 8 ohms).

I would say that a lot of mid-fi receivers from the likes of Denon and Onkyo can handle 6-ohm speakers. Upper mid-fi receivers from the likes of Rotel and NAD are probably a little more suited for 4-ohm loads.

By the way, here is a link I recently posted in another topic that discusses speaker loads:

Audioholics Impedance FAQ

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Sgt Pepper,
Thanks for the mention of the ohm selection option on the Elite 45. I did double check my Monitor Audio speakers and only the center is 6 ohm so I will leave the setting at the default 8 ohm setting. I have had this system together since last May and have had no problems and the 45 doesn't even get very warm so I think I'm ok. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
RD531--

Regarding surrounds, depending on your room and personal preference there is no "correct" answer. I like direct speakers that are the same as my fronts, others like any directs, but most like (or should I say buy) bipole or dipole, which are recommended by THX standards, but not necessarily your ears. The difference between bipoles and dipoles is that bipoles push the same phase of sound out both faces of the speaker and dipoles are out of phase, with one face doing the opposite of the other.

Better is what you prefer. It is like asking do you think white chocolate is better than dark chocolate or is milk chocolate better? It is all personal taste.

From my experience, I generally find audiophiles like direct speakers and HT enthusiasts edither prefer bipoles or dipoles because they like them better or because they are recommended by THX.

You can get excellent performance from all of them The speaker quality is more important than the type.

Dexter
Unregistered guest
I was just looking at the Rotel 1055+ and 1065+. They do not appear to list a 4 ohm rating for thos units. It would seem they would be capable of handling 4 ohms but its odd that they do not specify it (unless I missed something).

Bronze Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 40
The sellsheet for the 1055 (rated at 75 watts per channel) says that it can reach up to 135 watts per channel under "dynamic conditions." It is also rated at 100 watts per channel at 6 ohms. While part of this difference will be due to the measurement frequency (the 6-ohm rating is only at 1 kHz) and maybe even a higher THD threshold, part of it is also due to the Rotel's ability to deliver high-current power at lower impedances.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us