A sub necessary for Athena ASF2 floor standing speaker ?

Bronze Member
Username: Sip

Post Number: 13
Would adding a sub make a positive effect on my Athena ASF2 floor standing speaker? I bought the large floor standing speakers thinking that it would give adequate bass but now I am not too sure. ASF2s are placed in a 150 sq. feet room and are powered by a Harman Kardon AVR 130. I might be able to get an Atena ASP-300 8'/100 watt Sub for $300 Canadian. Another option is a cheap sub like Sony SAWM 250 (same spec. as the Athena but $80 in the USA and $200 in Canada). Any advice or comments are appreciated.

edster922
Unregistered guest
No floorstander, except for maybe the $1000 and up ones with built in self-powered subs, are ever going to provide the same quality bass as a decent sub, or even a cheap sub.

Good cheap subs: JBL E150 and E250 (jr.com), $200-300. A lot of people here seem to like the Dayton subs from partsexpress.com

I'd definitely stay away from any Sony products other than their TVs.

Sony_Sub
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony SA-WX700 for sale for $300cdn...

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 111
a cheap sub will usually give you what you pay for, as in muddy, boomy, smeared bass.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 112
look at the Paradigm PDR series, and the athena subs. They are decent, and inexpensive.

Sony subs are terribly blurry and boomy IMHO. You cant distinguish anything (sounds like bose acoustimass)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us