Speakers for NAD Stereo System.....Kindly Requesting Help

Kristov
Unregistered guest
Hello All,
I have purchased the following items for a Music only set up:
NAD C-740 Receiver
NAD C-272 Amp
NAD C-542 CD Player
As for the speakers, I have auditioned the Polks LSi9 and they sound pretty good, but I would like to do a little bit more research before I make my decision.
All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My budget is $1000.00 Max.
Thank you all!

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 49
Audio component recommendations are about as useful as general, random opinions... everyone has one and chances are, it'll be different. :-)

I assume you want floorstanders?

PSB Image series
NHT ST4
B&W 600 series (skip their two-way floorstander)
Wharfedale Evolution series

Just a few names with which I am familiar.

Also, I am curious why you went with a receiver + amp pairing...

Have fun listening.

Kristov
Unregistered guest
Tevo,
Thank you very much for your help.
I apologize for not stating that I am looking for bookshelf speakers. I will keep your suggestions in mind, I got a lot of auditioning to do !

I chose the receiver + amp because of the "Wife" factor. She likes listening to the radio.

Thanks !

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 102
If you want bookshelf, then you should look at the paradigm studio 20's, they sound amazing and are a great match with NAD.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 50
No worries. I suspected that was why you went with a receiver.

Ah, bookshelves. For < $1K USD, I feel bookshelves can often provide value and performance. Be sure you factor in the cost of a good pair of stands to extract best performance from bookshelf speakers.

You have a wide range of speakers to choose from. The important thing is to go out and listen to them to find what you like best. Some of the better dealers will permit home auditioning and this is best because you can hear how they fare in your acoustic environs and with your components.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 51
I was waiting for the Paradigm brigade to show up. :-)

Kristov
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys, Luckily where I live there are various dealers that carry Brands like the ones you mentioned among others.

I will start my journey very soon.
Cheers!

jaeelarr
Unregistered guest
Pinnacle Black Diamond Series-BD 500.These sound fantastic...and in your price range.

Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8
Being a very happy Paradigm owner I must be a member of the "Paradigm brigade". I think Paradigm offers unparalelled choice and value for the dollar. At under 1k I would suggest the Paradigm Studio 20. I have an NAD C162 pre amp, NAD C542 CD player, and a Hafler 9505 power amp and Paradigm Monitor 5 speakers and am very happy with their performance. So for Paradigm under 1k I would suggest the Studio 20 and Monitor 5 as their best sounding speakers under 1k. At just over a thousand the Studio 40 is awesome. Anyway I auditioned the Monitor 5 against the B&W 600 series and for me the Paradigm had better overall balance.

Bronze Member
Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 13
I just joined the Paradigm brigade myself, having bought a pair of Studio 40s (paid $1025). But I was really impressed with the Boston Acoustics VR-M60. They list at $1000/pair; I don't think they're typically discounted very much. There's also a smaller VR-M50, which goes for less money.

I guess it's a matter of opinion but some people think the LSi9, Studio 20, and the B&W 601 and 602 require a subwoofer, even for stereo music. The bass coming out of VR-M60 is amazing for such a small enclosure. Try to give them a listen before you make up your mind.

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 35
Surprised no one hereabouts has mentioned that PSB and NAD share a parent company. Word on the street is that the two complement each other magnificently.

The PSB's I've listened to--older 500s hooked up to an ONKYO receiver; various Image series models driven by a Pioneer Elite receiver--sounded wonderful.

Might as well add PSBs to your audition list.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 96
Klipsch wouldnt be a half bad choice with NAD either, but it depends on your tastes.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 96
klipsch REFERENCE that is...

the reference series are a great buy

NAD MAN
Unregistered guest
If you want great all around sound (including bass) from a bookshelf, try Definitive technology's pm series. They use powered 8" subs in them, and sound like your room is full of huge speakers. I use them with a NAD c320bee intergrated amp. Everyone that comes into my apartment tells me that they can't believe "all of that sound is coming from those little speakers." They have reviews, prices (priced individually, not per pair) and specs on their web page definitivetech.com (?) They run from about $850 a pair and up.

Bronze Member
Username: Vladdracul

Post Number: 13
NHT SB3s at US$600 a pair retail is another great value. They have excellent bass extension, to the point of not needing a SW for stereo. These speakers image very precisely and are quite neutral and laid back. Also, they look extraordinarily beutiful at their price point.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 73
Personally, I wouldn't say the SB3's are totally neutral... I found they tend to be a bit on the lush side in the lower midrange/upper bass. Without a good amount of amplifier headroom, these speakers also sound compressed and seems to get a bit dark sounding (recessed).

I agree on the bass extension. Every one that has listened to the SB3's I had wondered if I had a subwoofer. :-)

Just my 2¢ USD.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
My $1,000 /pr Green Mountain Audio Europa's easily bested the Paradigm Ref Studio 20's side by side. And the Ref Studio 40's....and the Ref Studio 100's.....and the Sig S-2's. No contest. Might not satisfy the all important WFI though (Wife acceptance factor) although my wife loves the look and on nice stands, they look fine. Give em a listen if you can find them in your area. 45 lbs each of cast marble. NO resonances from these speakers. Time/phase aligned. Best deal in all of audio in my opinion.
check out what owners are saying about them at http//greenmountainaudio.com/
click on the "Europa" picture icon.

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 94
I recently had a look at some Pardigms Studio series at a couple of different stores in my area, and I was really disappointed with them. I think the Monitor series are really great entry-level speakers, but once you're into the $1000- range and above, the other lines just don't deliver. I'm not as good at describing my impressions as some of you other guys, but they just sounded more hi-fi than musical to me.

Now, those are my ears - but I come from Maui's world of time coherent design choice, and it's hard for me to go back to any other.

Bronze Member
Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 14
Time Coherent Design? What's that all about?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 75
http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/Pages/faqtimephase.html

http://stereophile.com/interviews/221/

http://www.tricell-ent.com/Meadowlark.htm

http://www.meadowlarkaudio.com/TC1.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 95
Thanks, Tevo. Little Ricky, give a minute to check out the last Meadowlark link above. Pat really describes the concepts very well. I recently heard a pair of his old original Kestrels (the first speaker that he produced) against a pair of Paradigm Studio 60s. It was an interesting comparison.

Also go to greenmountainaudio.com.

My overall impression of the 1st order designs above is simply a natural, beleivable sound that invites you into the music. I also use a pair of Sequerra Met 7s at work all day, and they are accurate and non-fatiquing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us