NAD T762 Freezes

Username: Mhitesman

Radford, Virginia

Post Number: 1
My new T762 freezes. Sometimes this means the sound cuts out completely; sometimes it means the sound stays at current level. In all cases, it means that none of the controls, remote or on the unit, are functional -- and the unit has to be powered off completely to unlock it. This results in a loud POP to my speakers. Upon dealer recommendation, I sent the unit to the Service Bench (MA). A month later, I received the unit, and the packing list indicated a new "keyboard" had been installed. The unit is worse than ever, freezing after just a minute or so. Sometimes it won't power back on for a few minutes. I followed the instructions on this forum to perform factory reset, but that has done nothing to solve the problem. I purchased the unit from an authorized dealer, but the dealer is 3000 miles away. The nearest dealer is one hour away, driving time. I have written to NAD and to the dealer where I purchased, asking them to assume responsibility for this product. The thought of recabling, packing, carrying, and paying for shipping on that unit a third time has put me over the edge. I loved the sound on the NAD, but the reliability of my old Onkyo is making that look like the better investment. It didn't cost a fortune either.

If anyone has any sage advice, I would love to hear it. It seems that others have had success with the factory and YAWA, so I am trying to remain hopeful. But it surely would be nice to watch a movie.

Anonymous

I had 2 762s that did the same thing as you. After the second one Yawa made me a good deal on a 753.
The 753 would also lock up quite often. Note that I tried the units away from my home and they still failed (it wasn't my other components).
I got my 753 replaced and sold the new one on Ebay in a sealed box with my receipt.

While not everyone has issues with NAD, I had my share and I gave up on them. It sound great but it wasn't worth the headache. There are plenty of other brands that sound as good (if not better).

Radford, Virginia

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Anonymous. I guess no receiver sounds great if it's not working, like mine since Christmas. YAWA and the factory responded, four days ago, that they will try to do something, but nothing since then. My husband is on my case for not buying the brand he wanted, so I hope they can get something working here soon. Wish me luck.

Anonymous

The common problem of the 762 is a very low sub output when using digital connection but fine on analog. Also even in stereo mode, noise is present on all speakers ( center and surround).Better to check these things when you receive the new one.

Good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 66
Anonymous: I have a T753 and it's never frozen up on me. The more common NAD complaint is that with digital inputs there can be a little bit of hiss/hum (not that I've had this probelm to any distracting extent). Overall the 753 is a good sounding, well functioning box.

Radford, Virginia

Post Number: 3
After waiting for a call all week, I phoned the factory myself this morning. It was disheartening to go over the history again as I was told by both the factory and the dealer that they were working on it... The NAD rep was mystified that my T762 was freezing up and even more surprised that the Service Bench did not fix it, suggesting UPS might have damaged it when they returned it to me, causing the same symptoms as before.... The NAD rep said he would "look into it some more" and call me back. I am not feeling very confident at this point. My biggest worry, at this point, is that I am going to be asked to continue to send it to the repair facility (at $50 a pop) until the warranty expires in just less than a year.

Englishmusic fan
Unregistered guest
Hi marilyn.

I am writing from London where NAD has got itself a poor reputation on service I am sorry to say.Its such a shame as there are many loyal fans...methinks this will be one brand that will not survive.Good luck in your endeavours
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us