Decent receivers around 300-500 bucks

phil rosov
Unregistered guest
looking for advice on re-establishing a base for my music collection.have allison speakers and b&o turnetable.so maney choices out there. just happened upon this website while researching. can u help???

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 300
Phil:

What electronics are you using to drive the allison speakers? It make a difference as there are a lot of good speakers in that price range and I like to match the right speakers with the right electronics, if I can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Uh-oh! I just re-read the title and I totally misconstrued what you wanted. Here, I can do better.

Sounds like you are looking for stereo, so here is the best you can get for your turntable and speakers. Forget a receiver--stereo receivers under $700 stink, and I know as I tried them all. Instead, get an NAD C320bee integrated amp with a good outboard NAD PP2 phono preamplifier. Should cost you about $420 combined ($319 for the 320bee and another $100 for the PP2). You won't find any stereo receiver that sounds as good for twice the money. The NAD 320bee is already a legend among the audiophile set and magazines like Stereophile and Absolute Sound can't sing enough praises for this incredibly smooth and dynamic sounding amplifier.

You can get these products from either Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com) or Kiefs (www.kiefs.com for their phone number). Both offer superb service as well as good prices.

Phil Rosov
Unregistered guest
Hawk:Thanks for your recommendation, even though it sounds like an advertisement for NAD.
Any one else care to weigh in?
I've heard that the rotel 1050 is a good receiver.
What do you think, Hawk?

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
Phil:

If it sounds like an ad for NAD, so be it. NO ONE else has broached this price territory with anything that is remotely as good. I know Stereophile directly compared the NAD 320bee against a much more expensive Rotel RA-02 and the bee was superior in almost every way--more powerful, more dynamic, superior detail, etc. However, you set your budget at $300-500. You won't find much quality in that price range other than NAD.

I would agree that the Rotel RX-1050 is a fine stereo receiver--in fact, the only stereo receiver I have heard that I would recommend. However, its $799 price is considerably higher than you indicated you were willing to pay, so I was merely trying to be responsive to your post. In answer to another post seeking a stereo receiver, I included the Rotel as an excellent alternative, but he did not set a budget of only $500, as you did.

Having said that, I would strongly endorse the Rotel as it has superior power, dynamics, detail and simple believability than any other stereo receiver I have heard. In fact, it belongs on an endangered species list somewhere--a quality stereo receiver. With a little luck, you might find a good deal on one (try eBay).

Good luck.

Robert Arturo
Unregistered guest
Hawk:

Related topic. I'm looking for some decent amplification for a pair of Paradigm bookshelves (about 20 years old!) that are going to be used with a computer acting as a music server.

Is there a big disadvantage to using the analog output from my soundcard to a great integrated amp like the C320bee, as opposed to using a digital path to a receiver. I'd hate to "waste" a receiver in this setup (not using any surround features) and really want quality amplification.

Your thoughts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Robert:

I do not know of any disadvantage--I would think that a stereo patch cable consisting of a stereo mini-plug which terminates on the other end with a pair of RCA male plugs (I have a couple of these cables--they are widely available) would do the trick. This would connect the soundcard output directly to the 320bee (through an AUX input, I would think) and you should get what you need without a large outlay of cash. NAD and Paradigms have long been one of my favorite combos.

Good luck!

Username: Bezel

Post Number: 4
Phill,

I'm completely agree with Hawk that if you want a good stereo system - do not even look into receivers (at least in this price range).
$300-$500 is not enough to get pre-amp/amp system, so you definitely need integrated amp.
NAD c320 is a good choice (may be even one of the best :-).
But take a look into Rotel (RA-02/RA-971/etc.) integrated amps as well - it's the same price range and same quality level.
IMHO - if you do not like a sound of NAD, you will like Rotel.
At the same time persons who like NAD - do not like Rotel :-)

Username: Bezel

Post Number: 5
and DO NOT pay retaild price!!!
use hi-fi classified web sites to get items (new or used) - it's much cheaper.

P.S. But be carefull - there can be a scam...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us