5.1 Small Speaker Suggestions ($300-$500)

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
I need suggestions for a 5.1 or 6.1 system and I don't know what are considered good systems (my last speaker purchase was in 1993). My wife and room require small speakers. I will be using the Pioneer 1014 receiver. I only want to spend $300-$500. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Jayb
Unregistered guest
I would suggest something from Polk Audio or if you want to up your budget slightly go with the NANO SAT system from mirage its pretty imressive for 999.00 CDN.

Varit
Unregistered guest
It isn't the wisest move to spend a lot on a receiver and then cheap out on the speakers. You spent extra $$ to get something other than an entry level receiver, now you should do the same for the speakers. If you are really on a budget, get an Orb Audio stereo system and upgrade it to surround sound when you have the extra $180. I think the 2 speaker system, with sub, is $519 and the 5.1 surround system is $699.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 147
$300 to $500 total? Subwoofer and all?

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
The poineer 1014 is $365. I was looking at the following speaker systems but wanted others opinions before I listed them:
Harman Kardon HKTS 14
Infinity TSS750
Onkyo SKS-HT240
Paradigm 70 CT

Let me know if I'm way off here. I haven't purchased the receiver, but it looked like it gave me room to grow and I liked the auto calibration. I just got a 50" projection tv and want a new home theater system. my great room is small (18' x 14'), so I was looking a small speaker systems.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 150
All I can do is offer an opinion and in my opinion it's better to pace yourself and buy quality gear rather than get sub-par equipment all at once. You've listed well known and respected brand names but in that price range the quality is questionable and I wouldn't be surprised if you'll be looking to upgrade in a few months. Start out with good front speakers and add the others over time. In the long run you'll be happier and spend less money.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 151
Speaking for myself I think these are an outstanding value.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 75
For the price Cambridge Soundworks offers pretty good stuff. You wont mistake it for ultra-high fidelity equipment, but its not horrid IMO either.

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
Tim, are you saying their are no good small 5-6 peice speaker systems you can recommend? I don't have room for floor standing speakers and my wife doesn't want bookshelf speakers that own our built-in entertainment center (that are too large).

Varit
Unregistered guest
The reason that receiver is that price is b/c it's being replaced w/ a new model in March or April. That's not a bad thing, it means you get a great deal on this unit, but the point I was making is that it is a relatively high quality receiver and your price range limits you (at the low end) to computer speakers with alarm clock drivers. The idea of pacing yourself is a good one. Start w/ an Orb stereo system or a stereo system from anyone else that is in your range of $300-$500 and add surrounds and a center as the budget allows. You'll be a lot happier. Otherwise, most of the quality you pay for by going from the cheapest pioneer consumer receiver to the top of the line is lost.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 152
There are always compromises. If the WAF is more important than the SQ then go with the suggestions given by others. Mirage, Cambridge, etc.. I've used single driver systems with 3" drivers that work well in small home theaters. That's the smallest I would go unless someone develops a pretty amazing 2" driver.
What size is the space you have to place a speaker in?

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 76
Richie- The 3-500 dollar range doesnt include very many high end speakers unfortunately. That said, there are some out there. You just have to audition and see what you like. CSW MovieWorks 108, Energy Take 5.2, and the Klipsch Quintets are all pretty good for the money. Those three can be had for under 500 if one shops around.

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
My room is 18' wide x 14' deep (the room goes back another 10' in my kitchen), so it's pretty small. i have 2' wide built-in bookshelves on each side of my tv and want to set the fronts on them.

Stealth/Tim, your saying that the Mirage/108/5.2/Quintets are all better than the ones I was looking at (Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Infinity)? Being the novice, I only know what's at Circuit City/Best Buy/cnet.com, and have never heard of CSW/Energy/Klipsch. cnet.com gives the onkyo system much much better ratings than the energy take 5.2, so it's confusing.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 77
It's up to your ears to decide which is better, not us. I have a preference for CSW, but you may not. Its just a matter of keeping your options open.

jaeelarr
Unregistered guest
Try PSB.You can get the whole set up for around $700-800(loud speakers,center channel and satelite surround speakers).I had that set up for my first home theatre and it sounded very good.

For the sub,i had a HSU Research sub.Dual port,limited edition.It was sweeeeet.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 153
I can't see getting a decent receiver like the VSX-1014 and then subjecting it to driving a HT in a box setup. Just doesn't seem right. I'm still advising the "pay as you go" plan and once again recommending the Alegria Audio Ling bookshelf speaker. There are also matching surrounds for them. One Ling can be set on it's side for the center or you could go with one of the Ling Singles for the center but I guarantee you won't hear any new retail speaker as good for the same price. They are specifically designed as a bookshelf which means they can be placed 2" from a wall and still sound fantastic plus they deliver bass with authority so you'll be happy to go without a sub for a while. A very good match for the Pioneer.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 78
Pushing your wares hard enough there Tim?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 154
Yep, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't believe in it.

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
alright, i'm willing to have an open mind. what other small bookshelf speakers would any of you recommend that i can compare to the Ling? my bookshelf sits at 42" (is this too high for those speakers?) is $300-$500 enough for a good set of bookshelf speakers to eventually form into a home teather system? also, what component would you purchase next (sub, center, surrounds)?

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 31
check out av123.com and the onix rocket elt. The cherry 2 ways are on sale for $129 a pair. There are several models to mix and match in the elt line.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 31
In this price range per pair, a whole world opens up to you and you start to get into the meat & potatoes segment of the "budget hi-fi" range.

Ask 12 audio people what their favorite speakers are and you'll get probably get 12 different answers. What matters is how they sound to you. And none of our opinions should serve much more than a name or brand reference.

Go to some dedicated audio/home theater store (not a mass market appliance/electronics store). Tell them what your budget and needs are and ask them to let you listen to what they have in that price range.

All the various magazines out there have their annual buyer's guides out on magazine racks- drop by your local Borders and pick up a copy and you can also get ideas in your price range here.

Good luck and enjoyable listening.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 79
Timn8ter- If you need to advertise your product, there are other more credible ways of doing so besides going to a speaker forum and posting one or two bs reviews and pushing them on people who dont want to spend that much money on speakers in the first place.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 157
I completely empathize with anyone's reservations about my statements although "bs" is a little extreme. I'm merely posting my opinion like anyone else. Like I said, if I didn't believe it to be the truth I wouldn't say it and I'm willing to back it up.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 73
take a look at the Paradigm Cinema CS series speakers. They are awesome sounding, and are right in your budget.

gavin

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
How much space should a rear ported bookshelf speaker be away from the wall?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 158
That depends on how the speaker is designed. Close placement to a wall is going to result in a 3 to 6 db boost in the bass response. Many designers will include a bump in the bass because is sells better in the store but will need to be placed away from the wall in your home to avoid sounding "boomy".

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
What is the optimal mounting height for say a 12" tall bookshelf speaker?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 35
Depends on the speaker but a rule of thumb is tweeter at ear level at the listening position.

Ideally, all bookshelves should never be placed on a shelf but rather a sturdy speaker stand that is rigid, mass loaded (filled with sand or shot) and coupled to the floor via spikes or cones.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 80
Unfortunately those stands would cost nearly as much as you are planning to spend on the speakers.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 37
Decent Plateau or Sanus stands can be had in the $150 - $200/pr. range. It's an option worth considering when looking at bookshelf speakers in the > $400USD range, imo.

I suppose if this is not an option, just BluTack them onto your shelf/entertainment center/what have you. Or if aesthetics is not a concern, cinder blocks and BluTack is an old standby that works. :-)

On another tangent, this is a pet peeve of mine. If one is going to spend a not insignificant hunk of change on quality bookshelf speakers, not placing them on stands is counterproductive. But that's just my 2/100ths of a USD worth...

Varit
Unregistered guest
If WAF is an issue, start w/ the Orb Classic One ($519). That gives you two sats and a sub, so you get big, full sound even for movies right up front. Then, over time, add a center and surrounds ($240) or upgrade the speakers from Mod1 to Mod2 if you need more output. This system is made for people looking to grow into something but needing to start at a reasonable point. I'm an Orb owner, though, so I might be a little biased :-) But the ability to not just add speakers, but to be able to upgrade the speakers that you purchase from Mod1 to Mod2, is a pretty cool and valuable feature in your situation.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 51
I havn't heard the new Energy Take series but I hear good things about them. I think it would be close to your price range. I have the series up from that and I'm very happy with it. Energy has always made nice loudspeakers.

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
One last question before I go nuts, "What order do people typically buy their speaker systems if they can't afford all at once?"

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 87
If it were me Mains > Sub > Center > Surround, but that is just me.

Just make sure to audition the cheapies and the expensive stuff and make the decision that is right for you.

Richie Rich
Unregistered guest
Thanks Stealth...I've narrowed it down a little, though still trying to decide between the speakers in a box and build-you-go. I'm leaning towards the CSW 108 if I get a box set.

The bookshelf speaker choices are between the Cambridge M60, Ascend CBM-1670, or Paradigm Focus/Titan/Minimonitor (haven't gotten pricing back to know which I can afford).

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 56
Richie,

That depends on if you're getting floor-standing towers or small bookshelfs/minis. If you're getting towers wait on the subwoofer as they'll handle most of the low end well anyhow.

In that situation I suggest this order (which I followed and was happy with).

Main L&R
Surround L&R
Centre
Subwoofer
Additionall Surrounds for 6.1/7.1

If you are getting small speakers that won't handle much bass to start with I suggest:

L&R
Sub
Surround
Centre
Additional Surrounds.

Canuck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us