Center channel match for Harbeth fronts

Username: Barshnik

Las Vegas, NV

Post Number: 1
Looking for something that will share characteristics with my L/R front Harbeth C7 ES2's. Right now I'm using a 'homemade' center using old Dynaudio car speakers (150 mid-woof, MD-100 tweet, Dynaudio crossover) in a sealed box. It sounds suprisingly good, but want better. It will mount just above my pulldown screen.

Any recommendations for a center match to the Harbeth fronts?

Side surrounds are Axiom QS8's (a little bright, but OK.) Backs are old NHT Super Zeors. Receiver is HK 635. Sub is Velo servo, 12".

Room is 14' x 19' with large openings to dining room and hallway. Vaulted ceilings. The HK does a remarkable job tameing acoustic oddities of this room with its EzSet/EQ.

Thanks for recommendations,

John F

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I would look to Harbeth. Buy a pair of their current mid sized speakers to fit your space. Depending on the physical arrangement of space, place the two speakers end to end, tweeters in the middle either vertically or horizontally. You'll get better power handilng than with a traditional center and probably lower distortion. Wired in parallel, the amp will produce slightly more wattage also.

Otherwise, stick to the traditional BBC driven companies from England. KEF has the widest selection of video products and have not strayed far from the days when they supplied drivers for the BBC monitors.

Username: Barshnik

Las Vegas, NV

Post Number: 2
I found a single Harbeth DPM1 nearfield monitor on Ebay (located in UK.) I should have it in a week or so, hoping for the best. Specs on this monitor are VERY close to the C7's (driver size identical, SPL the same, impedence the same, freq. response nearly identical, etc.)

I'll report back after some listening...

John F
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us